Nigerian may have been infected with monkeypox in Thailand – senior doctor

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-07-26T145445.826.png

The Nigerian man, who was confirmed to be Thailand’s first and so far only monkeypox case, may have contracted the virus in the country, said Dr. Wasun Chantratita, chief of the Centre for Medical Genomics at Ramathibodi Hospital.

The professor’s opinion is based on his study of the Nigerian’s timeline, from his arrival in Thailand on October 24th, 2021 until the confirmation of his infection and eventual departure for Cambodia last week.

The Nigerian spent some time in Chiang Mai after entering Thailand, but spent most of his time in Phuket. On July 16th he visited a hospital in Phuket with a suspected STD, after he developed blisters on his genitals. Two days later, he was told by an official at the hospital that he needed treatment for monkeypox, but he failed to show up and was subsequently discovered to have departed for Cambodia. He was located by Cambodian officials and taken to a hospital for treatment.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nigerian-may-have-been-infected-with-monkeypox-in-thailand-senior-doctor/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

I think it would be very hard to find the source, or patient zero in Thailand, whatever one calls it. Through the 9 months this person has been here he’s probably met and been around hundreds of men and woman, sex or not. Probably the source came from Africa where the virus is common, could have been anyone, a tourist, a friend, who knows.  Best to be careful anyway as touching someone infected , or things you have in common with that person, bed sheets, a towel, clothes, as those are infected too. Doesn’t have to be sex.

LOL: ya think 

After infection, there is an incubation period of roughly 1-2 weeks
Mean incubation period was 8.5 days (5th-95th percentiles:), underpinning the current recommendation to monitor or isolate/quarantine case contacts for 21 days.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

"may have" since October 2021, when he entered Thailand and never left abroad.

That date is yet 6 month before the first cases were discovered around May 2022.

It's obvious he got infection within thailand within the last few weeks. 

With summer holidays in the West there would be many tourists bringing it. But also likely he got it from an another nigerian - that's where this virus started to spread

True, where is the other guy/girl who infected him? I think he/she might still be in Thailand and he/she is a tourist.

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think he/she might still be in Thailand and he/she is a tourist

Why do think that as opposed to a local ? Perhaps a local who had returned from overseas, contracted it there and brought it with them to Phuket.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 2

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Guess I will have people running screaming away from me since I have Plaque Psoriasis that comes and goes defendant upon stress. Folks might think I have the Pox....

Acute plaque psoriasis - Stock Image - M240/0169 - Science Photo Library

Oh dear, just don't expose yourself ???? Seriously I used to have someone working for me a good while back and he had that condition. First I had heard of it at the time when he was talking about , until that is it returned once. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Oh dear, just don't expose yourself ???? Seriously I used to have someone working for me a good while back and he had that condition. First I had heard of it at the time when he was talking about , until that is it returned once. 

Stress levels in the body kicked in last week after I had the lower front gum line reduced in order to place my front 4 implants in a few weeks.........ugh

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Excel said:

Better you than me to go through that. At my age I'll just let my teeth fall out naturally, if they ever do, and simply get my wife to chew my food for me ????

At 57 I Think I need my teeth for another 30 years....lol.  Don't need Monkey Pox either, but then it is getting to be a concern worldwide as it seems to have traveled further to countries it has not before, but it is something that having been vaccinated already for smallpox few of us need to be concerned with.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

At 57 I Think I need my teeth for another 30 years....lol.  Don't need Monkey Pox either, but then it is getting to be a concern worldwide as it seems to have traveled further to countries it has not before, but it is something that having been vaccinated already for smallpox few of us need to be concerned with.

Of course many of us were vaccinated against smallpox routinely. Many decades ago in my case so your comment made me think - are you protected for life or does the level of protection fall off I wonder ? Not that I am concerned about it but would just like to know for info.

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Guess I will have people running screaming away from me since I have Plaque Psoriasis that comes and goes depending upon stress levels as It is one of my autoimmune disorders.  Folks might think I have the Pox....

Acute plaque psoriasis - Stock Image - M240/0169 - Science Photo Library

I have a nasty wart growing on my scalp....so an outing.  I am a very clean and fastidious person and it's revolting to me.  Had it many months and can't get rid of it as it migrates from the back of my head to the front.....despite daily treatment and doctor even surgically.removing it.  

It's really notable and people keep being concerned about it.  Have taken to wearing a hat.    I am sure some people will think it's monkey pox. ????

6 minutes ago, Excel said:

Of course many of us were vaccinated against smallpox routinely. Many decades ago in my case so your comment made me think - are you protected for life or does the level of protection fall off I wonder ? Not that I am concerned about it but would just like to know for info.

https://www.wweek.com/news/dr-know/2022/06/03/i-got-a-smallpox-vaccination-as-a-child-am-i-safe-from-monkeypox/

Since the smallpox vaccine also conferred immunity for monkeypox, the push that eradicated smallpox also kept the monkey version at bay—until all the folks like you (and, ahem, me) old enough to have had that smallpox shot started dying off, leaving behind a population increasingly vulnerable to whatever ambitious young pox virus might come along next.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/who-is-protected-against-monkeypox-that-decades-old-smallpox-vaccination-may-be-of-help/

“The bottom line is that even those that were vaccinated many decades before maintain a very, very high level of antibodies and the ability to neutralize the virus,” said Dr. Luigi Ferrucci, scientific director of the National Institute on Aging.

“Even if they were vaccinated 50 years ago, that protection should still be there,” he said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

It is not an STD. Monkeypox is transmitted by close physical contact by people who have lesions. An example , sit with a friend who you share food with , maybe a glass by mistake , Or you touch his arm which has a blister.  That’s how children catch it from their parents or women from their partners. Then of course when having sex too as you are in close contact. A massage lady could be infected for another example. The blisters can be all over the body, including arms, back, legs , and hands. 

Well, virtually all the people being afflicted with it in countries where it hasn't been before are gay men. So is there something about the way gay men merely touch that's different from the way other people do?

2 hours ago, geisha said:

It is not an STD. Monkeypox is transmitted by close physical contact by people who have lesions. An example , sit with a friend who you share food with , maybe a glass by mistake , Or you touch his arm which has a blister.  That’s how children catch it from their parents or women from their partners. Then of course when having sex too as you are in close contact. A massage lady could be infected for another example. The blisters can be all over the body, including arms, back, legs , and hands. 

Largest monkeypox study to date highlights new symptoms

Jul 22, 2022

In the study, authors share many patients are presenting to clinics and hospitals for pain management or difficulty swallowing. Single anal sores have been recorded in several cases. One in 10 people had only a single skin lesion in the genital area, and 15% had anal and/or rectal pain, a symptom not typically seen in other monkeypox outbreaks.

A total of 98% of the cases documented were in gay or bisexual men, and while monkeypox is not an STI, per se, the authors said 95% of transmissions documented occurred during sexual relations. Seventy-five percent of case patients are white, and 41% are HIV-positive.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/07/largest-monkeypox-study-date-highlights-new-symptoms

• Like 2

Bkk Brian, which brings up the question, why now ? Homosexuality has existed openly for years. 
Has something mutated ? Also Europe has high figures of this pox.  Why again. Lots of questions for the scientists. 

6 minutes ago, geisha said:

Bkk Brian, which brings up the question, why now ? Homosexuality has existed openly for years. 
Has something mutated ? Also Europe has high figures of this pox.  Why again. Lots of questions for the scientists. 

Its endemic in Nigeria and I think the first known case was found in the UK from someone who had visited there, looks like its spread in the gay community from there?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Nigerian man, who was confirmed to be Thailand’s first and so far only monkeypox case, may have contracted the virus in the country, said Dr. Wasun Chantratita, chief of the Centre for Medical Genomics at Ramathibodi Hospital.

It appears to me from this information he probably did catch it in Thailand therefore it stands to reason he is Not the only case of monkeypox in Thailand - QED

• Like 1

"A Thai man, who may be infected with monkeypox, was sent from Thalang Hospital in Phuket to Vachira Phuket Hospital this afternoon (Tuesday) for tests and diagnosis.

The ambulance arrived at the emergency ward of the hospital at about 3.55pm and doctors immediately began the diagnosis. No further details about the condition of the man are available at the time of this report."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-man-at-hospital-in-phuket-with-suspected-monkeypox-diagnosis-pending/

53 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

It appears to me from this information he probably did catch it in Thailand therefore it stands to reason he is Not the only case of monkeypox in Thailand - QED

As I stated many days ago in another thread and it was simply yet another mission by TAT + others to attempt to  maintain that Phuket is a silk purse made from a sows ear, or not as the case may be

Edited by Excel
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, internationalism said:

But also likely he got it from an another nigerian - that's where this virus started to spread

Isn't there a chance that he caught it from eating monkey in the area? He ran not because he had the pox but it's against the law to kill and eat monkey in Phuket?

• Haha 2