Thaksin: Don’t Cremate My Dead Body, Let The Battle Be Immortalized

webfact

On 7/27/2022 at 7:32 AM, sawadee1947 said:

What a horrible nonsense! Did you ever read what you wrote about democracy????

The outcome of your nonsense you can see in US or UK for example. 

Better look for real working democracies as in most EU countries. ????

Are you serious about "real working democracies as in most EU countries"?  Fragmented coalition government doing horse trading after each general election every other year when coalition parties disagree with each other.  Spain, Italy, Germany, France, UK are good examples.  If real democracy means having general election every couple of years before terms are up - no thank you.

6 hours ago, candide said:

I have always wondered why some people are still blaming Thaksin for the poor level of education as he was ousted 15 years ago. Haven't you noticed which political colour has been mainly governing the country since 2006?

Why didn't he attempt to do something about it when he was in power? His claim to fame in my opinion, was his introduction of the Bt30 health scheme, for which I give him credit. It would seem that it is advantageous for those in power now and before, to keep the citizens undereducated. They are easier to manipulate. But change is coming, as the internet has become more accessible. But not to everyone. 

49 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Are you serious about "real working democracies as in most EU countries"?  Fragmented coalition government doing horse trading after each general election every other year when coalition parties disagree with each other.  Spain, Italy, Germany, France, UK are good examples.  If real democracy means having general election every couple of years before terms are up - no thank you.

UK coalition?

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

But you have no idea what Thaksin could or would have done since he was deposed in 2006, some 16 years ago.

Granted there may or may not have been the mass transit investment but that is only of use and help to the people of Bangkok and NOT to the people of Thailand as a whole.

Ask the people of rural Thailand how many times they used the mass transit in the last year. Ask them where their nearest railway station is, (for me it is 130 km away in Nakhon Sawan), the nearest airport is also there for me.

Ask them how many fewer buses there are because of the cost if diesel, how much more is the cost of food at the markets.

Then ask them how they feel about the military buying submarines, UAVs, F35 fighter jets. Then ask the people of rural Thailand what they really think of Prayuth and his government and would they want Thaksin back as a PM.

Try to understand that Thailand is NOT about you and the other farangs. It is about the Thai people and what they want.

To a point I agree. But after 35 years here surely it is acceptable to be able give an opinion and critisise corruption and other inequalities which affect my family members? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, candide said:

Thaksin needed to be smart, because he was under threat of being held accountable. Either by being voted out, or by courts (which ultimately happened to him).

Prayut could afford to be as dumb as he was, and rape the country in an as obvious way as he wanted, because he was 100% unaccountable. No risk of being voted out and no risk of being convicted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Thai_coup_d'état

Actually Thaksin was not deposed by the courts but by the  2006 Thai coup d'état took place on 19 September 2006, when the Royal Thai Army staged a coup d'état against the elected caretaker government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. 

The new rulers, led by General Sonthi Boonyaratglin and organised as the Council for Democratic Reform (CDR), issued a declaration on 21 September setting out their reasons for taking power and giving a commitment to restore democratic government within one year.[1] However, the CDR also announced that after elections and the establishment of a democratic government, the council would be transformed into a Council of National Security (CNS) whose future role in Thai politics was not explained.

Does this sound familiar?

18 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

An interesting point.  Surely anyone claiming to truly care about the Thai people would make the education system their priority, not simply throw them a few quid to buy their vote?

The only real changes Tony made were involved in either enriching himself or keeping the public superficially happy to ensure they voted for him.

Into which basket (self enrichment or superficially happy masses) do you place Thaksin’s 30 baht universal healthcare?

2 hours ago, Orinoco said:

The criminal is just trying to stay relevant, 

Hoping to keep the doors open for future family members to grab the reins and run the show again. :bah:

By “grab the reins” do you mean win an election?

Is winning elections not preferable to coups?

Out of curiosity, had Thaksin been discovered with 30 odd luxury watches that he could not explain where the money came from to purchase… do you think he’d have a criminal conviction for it?

Funny how the Thai courts work eh? Being convicted of political crimes by the Thai judiciary is a badge of honour - it screams out to all and sundry that one is anti-coup and pro democracy.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

UK coalition?

For UK, it is democracy.  And it is a joke.  The people can't even vote for who they want for PM.  UK are scrapping the bottom of the barrel for candidates to lead the country.  Brexit was a economic suicide in the name of democracy.

4 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Then you're happy to live in a democracy like Thailand. HipHip hurray????????????

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

I think it's more funny,  when people think Thaksin was a good guy.

Courts,  you are joking, his regime killed loads of people with out trial. :crazy:

It’s all relative isn’t it.
Is Thaksin a saint? 
Obviously not.

Is he a “good guy” when compared to the Generals and Plutocrats who have robbed Thailand of her democracy and bullied, censored, stolen from and oppressed the Thai people?

Obviously yes.

A free and fair election will certainly reveal the opinions of the majority of Thai's.

What makes you think ”his regime killed loads of people”. Post a link or two supporting your claims. No links is of course confirmation of the presence of bullsh!t.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Keeping in mind that he had 2 bats, 'yes' and 'no.' After getting a question from a reporter he would hold up 'yes' or 'no', indicating he would or wouldn't accept the question. And not negotiable.

And there was the incident when a foreign reporter asked him an awkward question (based on known facts), and thaksins response was to say 'idiot scum' and nominate another reporter to ask a question.

The foreign reporter was deported the next day.

And when Kofi Anan sent someone to investigate his horrendous human rights abuses who can forget his "The UN is not my father" response.

I think it was The Times who got hold of a copy of an official document with the names of their drug suspects and the order that the only way someone could be removed from the list was "Arrest, extrajudicial killing or loss of life".  An official order.

No idea why some posters have any respect for the man at all.   An absolutely despicable, self serving human being.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

It’s all relative isn’t it.
Is Thaksin a saint? 
Obviously not.

Is he a “good guy” when compared to the Generals and Plutocrats who have robbed Thailand of her democracy and bullied, censored, stolen from and oppressed the Thai people?

Obviously yes.

A free and fair election will certainly reveal the opinions of the majority of Thai's.

What makes you think ”his regime killed loads of people”. Post a link or two supporting your claims. No links is of course confirmation of the presence of bullsh!t.

We are done.

It's a shame you know nothing of what went on years back in Thailand.

But I will say this.

Thailand has the government it deserves.

When the people grow up, they will then truly have the government they deserve, I hope I live to see that day.

Good day. :jap:

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Why didn't he attempt to do something about it when he was in power?

Busy getting the new airport project moving, along with 30 baht medical cover,  war on drugs and other projects? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Busy getting the new airport project moving, along with 30 baht medical cover,  war on drugs and other projects? 

New airport: Built to a 30 year old plan, not reviewed or updated to include new engineering concepts/learnings, opened with massive operational problems, pushed because it was an opportunity for corruption. Quickly big problems with runways failing, they were less than up to spec re quality.  

30 Baht medical cover, yes he got it up and running. Remeber that It was a fully detailed policy of the Democrat party, he jumped on it and called it a Thakson idea. 

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

30 Baht medical cover, yes he got it up and running. Remeber that It was a fully detailed policy of the Democrat party, he jumped on it and called it a Thakson idea. 

I am not a fanboy of the man but I had just arrived into Thailand  to live when he was in power. He seemed to be very active and involved in policies to reduce poverty....  leaders since have left me wondering  what they want to achieve if anything. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Orinoco said:

We are done.

It's a shame you know nothing of what went on years back in Thailand.

But I will say this.

Thailand has the government it deserves.

When the people grow up, they will then truly have the government they deserve, I hope I live to see that day.

Good day. :jap:

Just because you assume I know nothing of “what went on years back in Thailand” doesn’t actually make it true. Your ability to leap to a conclusion from little to no evidence marks you as the very type of individual susceptible to the third rate propaganda the junta and their allies have been using to control the Thai masses for decades. It takes a very special blend of gullibility and ignorance to swallow their nonsense as will-fully as you appear to have done. By the way, who are you to look down upon the Thai people? What have achieved of note in your life? I’d wager <deleted> all, certainly less than the many brave Thai youths who have risked jail, their careers and physical harm in the ongoing fight for democracy. Know nothing cowards these kids are not.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Just because you assume I know nothing of “what went on years back in Thailand” doesn’t actually make it true. Your ability to leap to a conclusion from little to no evidence marks you as the very type of individual susceptible to the third rate propaganda the junta and their allies have been using to control the Thai masses for decades. It takes a very special blend of gullibility and ignorance to swallow their nonsense as will-fully as you appear to have done. By the way, who are you to look down upon the Thai people? What have achieved of note in your life? I’d wager <deleted> all, certainly less than the many brave Thai youths who have risked jail, their careers and physical harm in the ongoing fight for democracy. Know nothing cowards these kids are not.

And i suppose these people below are just ignorant fools.

I'm glad none of the dead were your parents as there were to some people in Thailand.

Nice one. 

https://www.amnesty.org/fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/asa390012003en.pdf

Justice the Thaksin way.

39 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

And i suppose these people below are just ignorant fools.

I'm glad none of the dead were your parents as there were to some people in Thailand.

Nice one. 

https://www.amnesty.org/fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/asa390012003en.pdf

Justice the Thaksin way.

In 2003, who urged Thaksin to “suppress the drug menace” 

After Thaksin declared victory in the drug war who said “the fight against drugs is far from over”?

In 2004, who said that “the death toll is a small price to pay to crush the drug trade”?

The answer is the same in all three of the above questions - if you know so much about what went on back then you will know who was the driving force behind the failed war on drugs. Either you have no idea what you are talking about or you are will-fully ignoring facts in order to continue wallowing in your own personal prejudices.

I see a poster above is claiming the 30  baht healthcare policy as the brainchild of the (misnamed) Democrats. Ain’t it funny how everything bad in Thailand is Thaksin’s fault and everything good is due to the anti democracy pro coup kleptocrats that barstools fascists so adore. Talk about self delusion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

In 2003, who urged Thaksin to “suppress the drug menace” 

After Thaksin declared victory in the drug war who said “the fight against drugs is far from over”?

In 2004, who said that “the death toll is a small price to pay to crush the drug trade”?

The answer is the same in all three of the above questions - if you know so much about what went on back then you will know who was the driving force behind the failed war on drugs. Either you have no idea what you are talking about or you are will-fully ignoring facts in order to continue wallowing in your own personal prejudices.

I see a poster above is claiming the 30  baht healthcare policy as the brainchild of the (misnamed) Democrats. Ain’t it funny how everything bad in Thailand is Thaksin’s fault and everything good is due to the anti democracy pro coup kleptocrats that barstools fascists so adore. Talk about self delusion.

"...I see a poster above is claiming the 30  baht healthcare policy as the brainchild of the (misnamed) Democrats. Ain’t it funny how everything bad in Thailand is Thaksin’s fault and everything good is due to the anti democracy pro coup kleptocrats that barstools fascists so adore. Talk about self delusion. ..."

Suggest you check the facts, it was proposed, in detail by the dems.

Nobody is saying everything bad in Thailand is Thaksin's fault, that's just your beat up to try to make him look better.

Reality is that there's a number of negative forces in this country, has been for decades and they still exist.

2 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am not a fanboy of the man but I had just arrived into Thailand  to live when he was in power. He seemed to be very active and involved in policies to reduce poverty....  leaders since have left me wondering  what they want to achieve if anything. 

'Policies to reduce poverty'.

Well that would be wonderful but is it really that simple.

At that time there was an outspoken Thai lady in my office, her father was a snr. policeman in a large very poor upcountry area/

The lady was so proud of her dad for several reasons. One was that he supervised the distribution of the 'envelopes' to support vote buying. And she make no attempt to hide any of the details she was aware of.

Further she proudly told all how the people were told verbally in a visit byone of the party canvassers that:

- An enevelope will be in your letter box early morning on xx/xx/xxxx. 

- When you go to vote you must tick YYYY. If you don't we will know and we will tell all your neighbors you don't support the savior. (In an upcounty village being ostracized by all the other people in the village is very serious/very undesireable/even frightening).

This same group (Snr cop and canvassers) did the foot work when each village got 1mBaht and in many villages it was doled out to the villagers. Suddenly mobile phones for sale appeared in shops and there was pressue to buy them with the personal dole out from the 1MBaht village fund. Guess where the phones came from in terms of the wholesaler?

At that time one of my son's buddies had a ML title, passed on from the boys' mother. The mother was a very snr person in the Thai finance ministry. She was appointed (not asked to join) a committee to monitor how the 1MBaht to each village was being used. 

She was no pushover. She refused to accept the reports given by the poliricat appointees in her office, she went herself to several villagers to ask around etc.

She discovered that many very poor villagers now had phones, but there was a problem they couldn't afford the 'Top up' cards on sale (at this time 'top up cards were one of the main ways to get further phone credit).

So the phone companies introduced 10Baht Top up cards.

The lady went back to Bkk, appraoched the minister involved and shared what she had found and shared that she would not allow herself to be part of the 'monitoring committee' and resigned. She was punished  for years for not supporting the 'system'. 

Edited by scorecard