Big Joke hails his chief's crime strategy - Smart Safety Zone 4.0 "inspires public to respect RTP"

webfact

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

It was explained in a Thaivisa post in 2019 when he was head of Immigration where the name Big Joke came from.  His father loved to play a game of cards that included the use of the joker. It was a card he consistently managed to have & use in the hands he was dealt, and his son was given the nic name joke ( short for joker ) by his father's card playing companions, and it stuck. So like many Thai police when they get promoted to a certain level the term Big is attached to their nic names, hence big joke.

So gambling with his dad from an early age. 

• Sad 1

A good start would be for the wage structure throught the police to be published in doing so it may promote applications.

Then publish the last 6 bank statements from the cop in charge of the station right up to the top of the pile.

Become totally transparent then there may be a chance of public  support returning. 

Provided the monthly wages and monies in bank tally up!

The chances of this happening are as we all know are zero

• Like 1

2 hours ago, biggles45 said:

Respect is not the word that most Thais I have met would use to describe the police here. Fear would be a more likely response and a major reason they will go to great lengths to avoid involving them. Good luck changing their perceptions tho. 

A bit like most UK citizen's perception of the Metropolitan Police except there is little fear just contempt and a knowledge that only 'worthy' people will be protected.

Edited by RobU
Correction of spelling mistake

That has always been love/hate tinged with suspicion and skepticism with many Thais accepting that their police are little more than an organized state mafia. 

Big Joke, former deputy commander of the tourist police and head of immigration, was sensationally sacked several years ago and demoted to the PM's office. ?

The suspicion and skepticism are of course added to by BJ's removal and his Lexus that got filled with holes that never got explained and SSZ 4.0 could be used to find out why .. couldn't it ????

I’m taking a contrarian  view and am quite serious in my reasoning, favourably comparing the Thai policing system to the UK’s where I’m currently holidaying. OK so the Thai system may be stated as the mafia: they enforce any transgression against their domain, that’s why there is relatively so little drug crime seller on seller; also why thousands of bars and nightclubs, etc can operate with so few problems. 

In the UK drug turf wars lead to knife crime which spreads to be of epidemic proportions; town centres are like war zones at night with drunkenness, fighting and  muggings rampant - the British police do nothing. They don’t come out of their station for burglaries or car thefts and the Met currently are solving 4% of crimes and thousands of officers have not made any arrests is the past 12 months.

Furthermore the Council mafia in the UK charge me £3,000 (120,000+ baht) pa in part for funding this ‘policing’, road maintenance full of potholes, and emptying the bins now once every 3 weeks! Of course CEOs and senior staff are on six figure salaries and gold-plated pensions. 

I enjoy freedom from persecution in Thailand by jobsworths and enjoy the laissez-faire attitude to life, live and let live. My UK road fund tax £240 (10,000 baht) a year for what? Surveillance society £60 (2,500 baht) for driving at 35 in a 30 zone; in LOS an occasional falang fine for say running an amber traffic light 400 baht, pay and go with a nod and happy to buy the officers their tea.

So it’s easy to be cynical but when you leave you certainly appreciate the easy-going lifestyle a whole lot more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has been a long, long time since I've heard the average Thai say anything even remotely positive about this lot. They need to get out of their bubbles more and meet the public. 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

That has always been love/hate tinged with suspicion and skepticism with many Thais accepting that their police are little more than an organised state mafia.

Which is how it remains.

The word smart should never be used alongside the BiB as the two are completely at odds with one another.

It's hard to find more complete opposites.

I think their definition of community policing, pressing a button on a pole, is a joke when in most properly policed countries it involves being seen on the beat and engaging with the citizens they are sworn to protect face to face.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

S.S.Z. 4.0 - is the baby of RTP chief Pol Gen Suwat Changyodsuk and part of a 20 year strategy to address crime and get the public to respect the police again.

I have news for them, 20 years is no way enough time. I suggest they re-adjust the figure to 200, then they may have a chance...........though still doubtful.

16 hours ago, djayz said:

It has been a long, long time since I've heard the average Thai say anything even remotely positive about this lot. They need to get out of their bubbles more and meet the public. 

I have no desire to meet the police,,at all    do you?

Edited by Bday Prang

A 20 year strategy !!  says a lot about the perceived loss of confidence in the police force. ie that it ie to all intents and purposes irreparable !   Most of the "bright sparks" who came up with this Idea will be long gone in less than 20 years

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Which is how it remains.

I'm not so sure about that,I know quite a lot of Thais in various provinces and  most of them have at least 1 policeman somewhere in the extended family

In the case of my misses as an example  there's her two brothers , two brother in laws, and two uncles all living within 50 meters of me, can't say I've ever had a problem,  quite the opposite to be honest. 

On 7/29/2022 at 1:05 PM, Deli said:

Is it ok to report corrupt police force there, too ? 

why would you wish to cause problems for yourself, I can assure you that would be the most likely result  of such a stupid  act. unless you were already out of the country with little intention of returning.  I suppose you could make an anonymous complaint but that would probably end up in the bin (where it belongs) 

17 hours ago, TigerTone said:

I’m taking a contrarian  view and am quite serious in my reasoning, favourably comparing the Thai policing system to the UK’s where I’m currently holidaying. OK so the Thai system may be stated as the mafia: they enforce any transgression against their domain, that’s why there is relatively so little drug crime seller on seller; also why thousands of bars and nightclubs, etc can operate with so few problems. 

In the UK drug turf wars lead to knife crime which spreads to be of epidemic proportions; town centres are like war zones at night with drunkenness, fighting and  muggings rampant - the British police do nothing. They don’t come out of their station for burglaries or car thefts and the Met currently are solving 4% of crimes and thousands of officers have not made any arrests is the past 12 months.

Furthermore the Council mafia in the UK charge me £3,000 (120,000+ baht) pa in part for funding this ‘policing’, road maintenance full of potholes, and emptying the bins now once every 3 weeks! Of course CEOs and senior staff are on six figure salaries and gold-plated pensions. 

I enjoy freedom from persecution in Thailand by jobsworths and enjoy the laissez-faire attitude to life, live and let live. My UK road fund tax £240 (10,000 baht) a year for what? Surveillance society £60 (2,500 baht) for driving at 35 in a 30 zone; in LOS an occasional falang fine for say running an amber traffic light 400 baht, pay and go with a nod and happy to buy the officers their tea.

So it’s easy to be cynical but when you leave you certainly appreciate the easy-going lifestyle a whole lot more. 

excellent post  and I still cannot understand why some posters on here will never be happy until they have, by their constant whinging. changed this place into a carbon copy of the places they have chosen to leave

Edited by Bday Prang

19 hours ago, RobU said:

A bit like most UK citizen's perception of the Metropolitan Police except there is little fear just contempt and a knowledge that only 'worthy' people will be protected.

And not just the "met." and to be honest there's plenty of reason to fear the uk police

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, biggles45 said:

CCTV doesn't usually work for very long here due to lack of maintenance. 

Respect is not the word that most Thais I have met would use to describe the police here. Fear would be a more likely response and a major reason they will go to great lengths to avoid involving them. Good luck changing their perceptions tho. 

Most people would go out of their way to avoid dealing with the police of any country   I think that is normal

On 7/29/2022 at 12:16 PM, Excel said:

Why not ask him  and let us know what he replied ?

why would he be concerned what his name meant in a foreign language ?  could be worse, what about people called Jim ? do you think they care what their name means in Thai ? lol

23 hours ago, sambum said:

I heard of a case a few months ago where some farangs were arrested for drinking illegally, jailed overnight, taken to court and fined 10,000 baht each, and given a year's probation. This in itself seems a bit steep, but they were then taken back to the police station and told that they were going to be taken to Immigration the next day to have their passports stamped, or they could pay 20,000 baht each and be free to go! 

"taken to Immigration the next day to have their passports stamped, or they could pay 20,000 baht each and be free to go! " 

They must have had "newbie" or "gullible" stamped on their foreheads,    whoever falls for that one almost deserves it, What exactly were they told would be stamped in their passports?    assuming the story is true, which i doubt 

17 hours ago, TigerTone said:

people can say what they want about the RTP but they are certainly not stupid. In fact I would say they are perfectly suited for the job they are assigned when you consider where they are and who they have to deal with. Most of the naysayers on here will have had very limited interaction with them except for traffic violations . when they were inevitably in the wrong but probably allowed to walk away in return for a very small "tip"     some people don't know when they are well off

22 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

why would he be concerned what his name meant in a foreign language ?  could be worse, what about people called Jim ? do you think they care what their name means in Thai ? lol

no idea , perhaps you should ask the poster who raised it

On 7/29/2022 at 3:02 PM, sambum said:

I heard of a case a few months ago where some farangs were arrested for drinking illegally, jailed overnight, taken to court and fined 10,000 baht each, and given a year's probation. This in itself seems a bit steep, but they were then taken back to the police station and told that they were going to be taken to Immigration the next day to have their passports stamped, or they could pay 20,000 baht each and be free to go! 

That was the going rate in Phuket a few years ago if you got caught drinking and driving and wanted to avoid prosecution. Had a good friend who was charged the same and also Goldie the DJ from the UK was nabbed for that amount, my son from the UK was managing one of the larger Beachclubs in Phuket at the time so knew him well, Goldie called him to bring the cash to the station as he had no way to get it.