Selfish and useless

pixelaoffy

On 7/31/2022 at 4:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Pedestrians are forced to walk on the road....    Its the same with motorcycles on the pavement, ‘someone’ even goes so far as to add a little concrete and build little ramps to ease access !!

They exist everywhere and are for wheelchair access and similar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:
On 7/31/2022 at 12:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Pedestrians are forced to walk on the road....    Its the same with motorcycles on the pavement, ‘someone’ even goes so far as to add a little concrete and build little ramps to ease access !!

They exist everywhere and are for wheelchair access and similar.

These are not for wheel-chair access... 

1094623318_Screenshot2022-08-02at07_49_21.thumb.png.779bec5c8c4bb1394d496e68a1a8e290.png410837683_Screenshot2022-08-02at07_48_20.png.9a8d6b997db35a1499aaf25ae5cfc908.png1544158211_Screenshot2022-08-02at07_46_33.png.53432e533f22e352c310dfe2e6277487.png1400935917_Screenshot2022-08-02at07_42_58.thumb.png.020ae5efd0043b700b86d9a6dd747399.png

• Like 2

Personally I don't think it's a big deal about the parking. Walk the beach side and problem solved. But, I also understand we all have some pet peeves about how things operate here in Thailand. I know I dislike some petty things as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Seems like another foreigner who is happy to be in Thailand because he feels comfortable with low standards, meaning he doesn't have to try too hard himself.

That's me to a tee. :burp:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Personally I don't think it's a big deal about the parking. Walk the beach side and problem solved. But, I also understand we all have some pet peeves about how things operate here in Thailand. I know I dislike some petty things as well.

Yes we have petty peeves but we don't expect other people to share them!

• Like 1

Seems like another foreigner who is happy to be in Thailand because he feels comfortable with low standards, meaning he doesn't have to try too hard himself.

Here's a message to you - pointing out shortcomings relating to anywhere or anything is allowed. You appear to have a problem with that, and I have no idea why that might be.

Yes its allowed but that does  not make it laudable! Constantly  finding fault is a sign of a deeper malaise - of unhappiness.

• Thanks 1

Here's a message to you - pointing out shortcomings relating to anywhere or anything is allowed. You appear to have a problem with that, and I have no idea why that might be.

Low standards in parking! LOL You mean high standards of personal  freedom. I think it's great that people aren't  bullied and intimidated by thugs and revenue raisers like in Britain where parking rules are just part of the war on cars and car owners

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 5:01 PM, Hummin said:

At the same time there is many things I dislike about Thailand, there is unfortunate more things that still makes my life better in Thailand. 

I could not, or do not want to live in Singapoor, Japan or Usa even I at the moment could afford it, it doesnt give me the feeling of freedom I have in Thailand. 

"it doesnt give me the feeling of freedom I have in Thailand."

You give a description with your own words, the Thai have the same feeling.....

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Low standards in parking! LOL You mean high standards of personal  freedom. I think it's great that people aren't  bullied and intimidated by thugs and revenue raisers like in Britain where parking rules are just part of the war on cars and car owners

I agree about the parking rules and profiteering from car owners in the UK... its ridiculous... 

However, the personal freedoms thing comes with consequences. 

I know its not always the same and each situation is individual and must be judged based on description and individual merit...  these ‘high standards of personal freedoms’ have consequences which you may not be able to foresee which is why there are ’standard laws’ in place.... 

My Thai friends grandmother was killed in a house fire, the fire engines couldn’t get to the house because of poor parking on the soi. 

I see women with children having to walk on the road to go around cars whose drivers exercise their ‘personal freedom’ to park where they wanted. 

Motorcyclists exercise their personal freedoms and ride down the pavement (sidewalk). 

Drivers exercise their personal freedom when choosing to drive home after a few too many.

There are lots of personal freedoms... and parking is at the light end of the spectrum which seems to matter little, yet there are still consequences... i.e. those who park at the corner of a junction, it may not seem a big deal, but that in itself can lead to an accident. 

In this case... Maybe parking on both sides of the road narrows the road for the passing cars such that they are forced to pass in closer proximity, risking an accident etc.

Along with many, I like the freedom and lack of restrains we have in Thailand, however, description varies and this leads to the chaos of people doing what they want when they want, such as stopping on the road, abandoning the car and nipping out to 7-11... antisocial if you ask me and people do it all the time... why ?... they’re exercising their personal freedom....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tubulat said:

"it doesnt give me the feeling of freedom I have in Thailand."

You give a description with your own words, the Thai have the same feeling.....

I belive feeling of freedom is a individual sense of feeling. I know westerns in UK, USA, Australia feel the same about their individual freedom is taken away from them as much as a Thai does. Literally freedom is a different matter. 

Looking out at neighboring countries ? Do they have individual freedom in comparison?

Touchy subject to discuss, and I I had been born in Thailand I would maybe feel different if I was born with an silver spoon or not, or I managed to gain the silver spoon by myself or not!

Seems no matter where you coming from, complaints about freedom is universal.

I know some Norwegians compare the Norwegian government with the last Soviet state or North Korea. Some few of them thrives very well in Thailand, and are not so proud of Norway. I'm quite proud and feel fortunate to have been borned in Norway 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I think anybody  should be allowed to park anywhere as long as they are not endangering life or blocking access  for more than a few minutes. I don't believe  in parking laws at all. They are a money  grabbing scam.

I would agree.. but not everyone carries the same degree of discretion and some people are just outright selfish or so stupid they are unaware of the risks they place others in.

For example, those who may park on or close to a pedestrian crossing, or a junction etc.... 

While you may exercise intelligent discretion, others will not, the rules exist to protect other because of the most selfish, stupid, inconsiderate and dangerous lowest common denominator.  

That said: Yes, in the UK parking rules are a money making scam - The build shopping centres, want people to go there, then charge them for parking !!!.. its ridiculous. They charge people parking at hospitals which is outrageous....   So, I do like and in most cases prefer the ‘Thailand approach’... but its certainly not perfect and with the anything goes approach there are many negatives.... 

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

There appears to be nowhere to walk where you would not be impeding traffic..... unless you mean on the beach itself? Surely Thailand can do better than a Soi Buakhao type situation for beachgoers?

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There appears to be nowhere to walk where you would not be impeding traffic..... unless you mean on the beach itself? Surely Thailand can do better than a Soi Buakhao type situation for beachgoers?

I just figured the beach side had the big side walk for walking. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I just figured the beach side had the big side walk for walking. 

Actually I believe you are correct so my apologies.....I guess the problem is more about people parking on both the left and right, and reducing traffic flow to a single lane trying to handle both directions. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Actually I believe you are correct so my apologies.....I guess the problem is more about people parking on both the left and right, and reducing traffic flow to a single lane trying to handle both directions. 

Even on such busy weekends there is no real delays or problems along that stretch. Minimal compared to BeachRd.

If the original pic had been wider it'd show there WIDE walk way. I walk this area because it's the best for walking,

https://tinyurl.com/3zkw56ca

Yes, there're parked cars when people go to 7/11 but never a problem thanks to beach side walk way.

There's a small parking area too but they take a small fee. Thais won't pay?

Otherwise, there is NO PARKING at at all on this street at night which is nice.

Join me 4.00am walk when I'm there ????

In general I agree; Thailand streets are built for cars only. Very little, or non, consideration for pedestrians.

But it's the price I'm willing to pay to be FREE of BS rules that has ruined other countries.

• Thanks 1

Today I rode down my elevator in my 43 story high rise tower that I thought was very elegant. I guess I must have on rose colored glasses because a resident decided to park their motorbike in the elevator lobby instead of the parking lot. You can take the Thai out of the slum but you cannot take the slum out of Thais.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Some interesting comments .some I expected . The farang brigade who trot out the same ' go to Singapore or your own country'  if you don't like "selfish and dangerous " behaviour and then those who understand that rules are generally there for a purpose. I dont expect anything to change in the mindset of the indigenous population . A country where me first is as prevalent as anywhere else and even more so because enforcement and punishment is practically zero .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Screaming said:

Today I rode down my elevator in my 43 story high rise tower that I thought was very elegant. I guess I must have on rose colored glasses because a resident decided to park their motorbike in the elevator lobby instead of the parking lot. You can take the Thai out of the slum but you cannot take the slum out of Thais.

Damn that wheelchair ramp!

22 hours ago, GypsyT said:

But it's the price I'm willing to pay to be FREE of BS rules that has ruined other countries.

These 'BS rules" enforced in other countries are keeping accident and death rates down .. just remember Thailand has the 2nd worst death from troad accidents per 100,000 people in the world ..25-30,000 dead at scene of accident every year 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 10:01 PM, Hummin said:

At the same time there is many things I dislike about Thailand, there is unfortunate more things that still makes my life better in Thailand. 

I could not, or do not want to live in Singapoor, Japan or Usa even I at the moment could afford it, it doesnt give me the feeling of freedom I have in Thailand. 

We all decided to live in LOS because we preferred it to wherever we came from. Some things are not so good, but the good things, IMO, outweighed the bad.

I'd leave the "advanced and highly regulated" western country I live in and return to live in LOS in a heartbeat, if I could.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 3:50 PM, pixelaoffy said:

These 'BS rules" enforced in other countries are keeping accident and death rates down .. just remember Thailand has the 2nd worst death from troad accidents per 100,000 people in the world ..25-30,000 dead at scene of accident every year 

I'm sure that Thais are aware of all that, but if they CHOOSE not to do anything about it, it's not up to us aliens to demand they change.

If any farang is not prepared to accept LOS as it is, they know where the exit is.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 11:36 AM, spidermike007 said:

Few police enforce traffic laws here, unless it is a (bribe collection) roadblock. There is nothing in the way of traffic safety. They just don't care. 

I was happy about that. Meant I didn't get any tickets. Constantly checking speedo so as not to get a fine is a drag.