Buying a brand new scooter

sureno

Hi

I need to buy a scooter and am thinking it’s probably best just to buy a brand new one and keep it for years. 

Will probably be a Honda click or something similar, I’m in south phuket, Rawai. 

I wondered if I need any specific documents, or is it just the money?

Thanks for any help

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To buy and own - you need just your money. 

Perhaps your passport as ID.

To register the motorcycle in your name you will need proof of address...

i.e. a Certificate of Address (from Immigration) 

or an Affirmation of Residence (letter from Embassy / Consulate). 

And 1st class insurance by the sounds of it. ????

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To buy and own - you need just your money. 

Perhaps your passport as ID.

To register the motorcycle in your name you will need proof of address...

i.e. a Certificate of Address (from Immigration) 

or an Affirmation of Residence (letter from Embassy / Consulate). 

Thanks a lot for your reply

14 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Have you got a legal licence?

A separate issue from ownership but valid nevertheless. 

IF the OP has either of the following he’s good to drive / ride in Thailand. 

- Driving Licence in English with motorcycle endorsement.

- Motorcycle licence in English language.

- Motorcycle licence in non-English language accompanied with an IDP

- Not on a Non-Immigrant Visa (i.e. on tourist visa or visa exempt).

IF the OP is on a Non-Immigrant Visa, its considered he’s on a resident visa and as a resident should be driving / riding on a Thai Licence, in which case. 

- He can get a Thai Motorcycle licence with his Driving Licence in English with motorcycle endorsement.

- He can get a Thai Motorcycle licence with his Driving Licence in English with motorcycle endorsement.

Edited by richard_smith237

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF the OP is on a Non-Immigrant Visa, its considered he’s on a resident visa

No, it's not.

The only law which distinguishes between different types of visas is the immigration act. Other laws, for example the laws governing driving in Thailand, make no difference between somebody on a tourist or non-immigrant visa.

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

No, it's not.

The only law which distinguishes between different types of visas is the immigration act. Other laws, for example the laws governing driving in Thailand, make no difference between somebody on a tourist or non-immigrant visa.

I'm inclined to agree... 

However, it was explained to me at the DLT that if someone is living in Thailand and is on a Non-Immigrant Visa they are considered a resident and need to get a Thai Driving Licence. 

It was also explained to me that only Non-Imm visa holders can get the 5 year licence, those on Tourist Visas (and also Thai Elite Visas) are only given another 2 year licence on renewal.

Of course - what we are told is often different from the law. The law is often not followed. The law and what we are told varies from office to office... and what we are told varies from person to person within the same office !!!....   

This is often the source of many disagreements on here... So, what I understand the regulations to be as they have been explained to me by the DLT often varies with what someone else believes. 

Ultimately - we get whatever we can get. 

----------

I encountered contradictory information at the same DLT. 

I was initially renewing a 5 year licence I was told I could only renew to a 2 year licence as I wasn’t holding a Non-Imm visa (I was on Thai Elite an thats not considered a resident visa), thus I was issued a 2 year temp licence....  two years later when I went to renew that I was given a 5 years licence, even though I was still on the Thai Elite Visa !!!... Go figure !! either the regs changed or they were interpreted differently by a different officer (or they simply didn’t know). 

As I wrote.... Ultimately - we get whatever we can get and if it doesn’t go our way, we write it off as TiT

In the case of the Op: He should have no issue getting a Licence - his biggest hurdle is getting proof of address.

- Some immigration offices only give the Certificate of Address letter if a 90 day report has been made.

- Some Embassies (i.e. UK) will not give the Affirmation of residence letter if on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

Edited by richard_smith237

Thanks again for replies. 

I already own a few properties in Thailand so I presume my name on the tabien baan is ok? 

I usually enter Thailand with a non o visa but this time, I have a METV. 

My understanding (probably incorrect!!) was for anything over 3 months, you need a Thai driving licence, up to then the international driving permit suffices, or maybe it’s just that most tourist visas are up to 3 months. Regardless, I will get a Thai driving licence, it would just be easier for me to buy the motorbike first so I have something to do the test on in phuket.

So in order for the dealership to register a bike in my name, they just need some kind of residence info, such as a blue or yellow book?

I have a uk driving licence and my understanding is it’s good for anything up to 125cc, s as long as you have that international driving permit. However I don’t know if that means under 125 or up to 125. And I’ve no idea if that would mean a straightforward application for the Thai licence or whether I would have to go through the test from scratch?

thanks again

4 minutes ago, sureno said:

I already own a few properties in Thailand so I presume my name on the tabien baan is ok? 

My understanding (probably incorrect!!) was for anything over 3 months, you need a Thai driving licence, up to then the international driving permit suffices, or maybe it’s just that most tourist visas are up to 3 months. Regardless, I will get a Thai driving licence, it would just be easier for me to buy the motorbike first so I have something to do the test on in phuket.

So in order for the dealership to register a bike in my name, they just need some kind of residence info, such as a blue or yellow book?

I have a uk driving licence and my understanding is it’s good for anything up to 125cc, s as long as you have that international driving permit. However I don’t know if that means under 125 or up to 125. And I’ve no idea if that would mean a straightforward application for the Thai licence or whether I would have to go through the test from scratch?

thanks again

UK photocard driving licence with motorbike catergory your OK for 90days while arranging Thai DL.

But in Phuket I would guess most police would want to see a IDP as well unless you want argue it out at the police station.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sureno said:

Yes, if you have your name in the Yellow Tabien Baan (house book) you ’should’ be good to go. 

Note: I used a copy the Yellow Tabien Baan (house book) for registration of a motorcycle in Bangkok recently so it should be no issue whatsoever.

That said: when applying for a DL some area DLT’s accept the Tabien Baan and some don’t (i.e. DLT Area 3 at Sukhumvit Bangkok definitely do (did 2 years ago), but I’ve read on here than in Pattaya for some reason they don’t). 

1 hour ago, sureno said:

No issues there... You shouldn’t have any problem registering the bike in your name with the Tabien Baan as proof of address. 

1 hour ago, sureno said:

There's a lot of conflicting info and the 3 month rule has also been debated - but thats the general gist of it... 

Rule of thumb: Get a Thai Licence if you can, it removes any potential ambiguity. 

That said: you should be good to go with your home licence and IDP for up to a year if stopped. 

1 hour ago, sureno said:

Thats it - a Copy of your Yellow Tabien Baan (house book) with your name in it matching the name in the copy of your passport (and a photo copy of your Passport and perhaps visa stamp).... 

1 hour ago, sureno said:

thanks again

That depends on the age of your licence and what endorsements it contained at the time. 

There are power restrictions etc... 

For example: my UK car licence has the ‘AM’ endorsement on the back...  it allows for 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)...   

Also the ‘A [79(3)]’ endorsement, which is restricted to ’Trikes’..

BUT... it has a picture silhouette of a motorcycle on it, so with this the Thai DLT gave me a full motorcycle licence !!!!

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 12.23.21.png