How has your old home town changed ?

I walked away for (probably] the last time in 2017.

The town I knew had long gone.The local corner shop was now sign written in Polish. Eastern European seemed to be the current flavor although many ethnicities abound in what felt like specific areas for this or that type.

I remember walking down the high st of town and in that 15 minute walk I never heard 1 English chat exchange. 

Side roads were  bumper to bumper parked cars after 6pm. Traffic dverywhere felt heavy all day.

Felt as though I was in a Police state, Police cars were a regular sight, cameras everywhere. I was glad but also sad to get out of there. 

"Home ' was gone and only a pale very vague resemblence remained.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 1:07 PM, Stocky said:

I left my home city of Birmingham almost 50 years ago, first to study, then after graduation to go work. I've spent 40 years working on projects around the world, I get back to the UK maybe once a year, though with Covid it's almost 3 years since my last trip.

Growing up in Birmingham in the 60s and 70s was grim, Birmingham now is a far nicer place to live. It's now a clean, vibrant city, the city centre is a good place for a night out, nice restaurants, good pubs, places to sit out and enjoy a pint on a summer's evening. The old canals that were full of shopping trollies and garbage have been cleaned up and become pleasant walkways around the city.

The city has always been a melting pot, there were West Indian, Indian and Pakistani children at school with me in the 60s. Immigrants from the former colonies just followed in the wake of Jewish and Irish families before them. I've never had an problem with Birmingham's racial diversity, I think it adds to the city's appeal. But diversity no doubt it comes as more of a shock to people who grew up in largely white towns and villages. 

Sure there are areas of Birmingham that are less pleasant to live, but they're all better than they were. No one would want to turn the clock back 50 years in Brum.

Got my first degree in Birmingham, and as with many a former student I look back on Birmingham with fond memories.

I lived on Devonshire Road, Handsworth wood, used to go to Reggae and Ska clubs in Handsworth, Lazells  and Soho Road. 

The latter the home of ‘The all night barbers’.

Great memories of a fantastic vibrant city.

Oh nearly forgot - The food!

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

my old home town ,was a nice clean factory town,where my daughter played out in our quiet street and even if we didnt know everyone we recognized them and smiled good morning .

now,its a filthy  place ,bins overflowing ,hardly any ,what i would call local people , boat people in the hotels ,hardly any ,white people except Alabanians ,, lots of crime ,a murder two weeks ago ,hardly ever see the police except in their cars driving around.

due to massive parking charges the centre is full of empty shops ,

not a very nice place .

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

yes bluespunk ,i am sad as well ,Britain is being destroyed by mass illegal immigration and lack of discipline for the young.

Not "being"....has been.....too late now unfortunately :sorry:

• Like 1