COVID infections on the rise in 44 provinces, over 30,000 new cases a day

snoop1130

1 hour ago, transam said:

Well yes, perhaps you did. Plus airport staff and flights are all manned by humans, they fly, they mix every day of their working life, but I would suggest they take care of their wellbeing in the job they do to reduce that risk.. 

Just my thoughts though....????

Do the airport staff actually get on the planes with 300 other people and then onto another connecting flight with another 300 people, pls confirm?

Do you also suggest that every person that's caught covid multiple times have not taken care of their well being? Are you the only super hero that correctly knows how to take care of their well being?

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed

3 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Do the airport staff actually get on the planes with 300 other people and then onto another connecting flight with another 300 people, pls confirm?

Your thoughts are really not worth much i'm afraid.

Do you also suggest that every person that's caught covid multiple times have not taken care of their well being? Are you the only super hero that correctly knows how to take care of their well being? very impressive....

1. Airport staff meet people at check-in, handle paperwork, passports, bags, all handled by a passenger, and are breathing in their airspace. Immigration has much the same to deal with. 

2. Well no, I am just a bloke that follows my own instinct to reduce the chances of catching C19, which includes mask, alchahol, mainly beer, etc, so far so good, but I never say never...????

2 minutes ago, transam said:

1. Airport staff meet people at check-in, handle paperwork, passports, bags, all handled by a passenger, and are breathing in their airspace. Immigration has much the same to deal with. 

2. Well no, I am just a bloke that follows my own instinct to reduce the chances of catching C19, which includes mask, alchahol, mainly beer, etc, so far so good, but I never say never...????

1. But are the airport staff in a small confined space with hundreds of other people for multiple hours?

2. That's great.

6 hours ago, 10baht said:
29 Thailand 4,630,310 +2,110

31,974  , what are they talking about ?  

Thailand has done what a lot of other countries around the world have done and are doing -- to varying extents stopped testing, stopped counting, stopped looking.

If I understand it right, the 2000+ daily cases Thailand officially reports these days are only new COVID positive tests involving hospitalizations.

The 30,000 to 60,000 daily numbers mentioned in the article aren't what they officially report anymore. I'm not sure how they're basing those.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

The Bangkok Post records the infections every day and although I don't follow it too seriously, over the last couple of weeks the infection rates are averaging about 2,000 daily  including for yesterday. 19 August.

See my post above... They've changed the way they count official COVID cases lately....

In the past they used to count all positive tests... Then they started not reporting ATK tests as opposed to RT-PCR tests...

And now more recently, AFAIK, the only new cases they report daily are those that require hospitalization.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"...along with any age people with any of 8 specified chronic health conditions."

I don't have Facebook access - can you list the 8 diseases please.

I don't have the full list handy at the moment....

But if memory serves, it's things like obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, liver disease, etc etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoneyNo1 said:

Have you had covid yet? What mask do you recommend as here in Oz most wearing n95

N95-type masks (also called respirator masks) are the best available to the general public, and have been found to provide the highest level of protection -- if fit and worn properly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

the regulations do not say wear a mask

The current government policy "recommends" wearing a face mask in indoors settings when in close contact with others, and in general for people who are at high-risk from COVID.

The part that got dropped was only the prior "requirement" part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, transam said:

1. At times, absolutely....

527145786_Airport2.jpg.d3cce143dd542fedcde0a2f58d77016e.jpgAirport.png.453d95f09b36495812774a2fa45cd5f9.png

Congratulations finding the photo's - well done, however i'd hardly class that as a confined space the same as an aircraft, would you?

Apples and oranges.

"Cases" is thrown around a lot. Can we have data on the following:

1. How many people admitted to hospital for Covid and otherwise illness free?

2. A case could be as little as a bit of a cough

Using the word "case" implies deadly seriousness. Maybe that is what they are but is is a blanket phrase with little or no meaning without context

14 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

1. How many people admitted to hospital for Covid and otherwise illness free?

As I said above, the 2,000+ daily numbers of COVID cases the Thai government is reporting these days are ONLY hospitalizations...

A person with COVID can still be hospitalized FOR COVID even if they happen to have other conditions, which a large proportion of Thais do... including things like diabetes and high blood pressure, liver disease, etc.

Having any of those other conditions doesn't somehow negate the fact they've been hospitalized for COVID.

56 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand has done what a lot of other countries around the world have done and are doing -- to varying extents stopped testing, stopped counting, stopped looking.

If I understand it right, the 2000+ daily cases Thailand officially reports these days are only new COVID positive tests involving hospitalizations.

The 30,000 to 60,000 daily numbers mentioned in the article aren't what they officially report anymore. I'm not sure how they're basing those.

I referred to that point in my comment. My gripe, if that is what it is, amounts to a "new" system of reporting cases that doesn't allow for a proper comparison between then and now. The average reader will be confused and mislead about how many infections there are in reality.

I think I am entitled to believe there are 30,000 per day, at the same time as 2,000 per day! We are not told that it is a guess or pure speculation or based on anything at all! And that difference in numbers is worth understanding properly.

My interest in Covid has been heightened recently by my own wife being effectively quarantined for two weeks and wanting to avoid contacting others and giving Covid away to them!

And while I am here, if 30,000 ?tested positive with or without symptoms, with or without masks, wandering around at will can infect others, I am concerned that those "others" might easily involve those more at risk of serious illness or even death!

12 hours ago, arithai12 said:

FRankly, what does it matter how many are infected?

What matters is the serious cases and fatalities, this is written in the article and it seems to me little reason to live in fear. Mostly are elderly, non-vaccinated, with previous conditions.

Those who fall in these categories should be extra careful, the rest can carry on with their lives.

And completely ignore the fact that what you do, or don’t  do can affect other people. That doesn’t make you clever, it makes you selfish.

7 hours ago, Chopinbkk said:

That useless 'mask' discussion again.

We Ferrang should just be courteous and polite. Hence do as 99% of our hosts do and wear the damn things in public.

We are guest, thus let's behave and don't insist on rights etc. 

Anyone a problem? Go back to your 'freedom counties'. 

To be a guest you have to have been invited by someone. We are not guests here. However I completely agree that we should be complying and wearing a mask.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

My gripe, if that is what it is, amounts to a "new" system of reporting cases that doesn't allow for a proper comparison between then and now.

The only key COVID disease data reporting by the Thai government that has remained constant and comparable for the duration of the pandemic here... AFAIK... are the daily stats on serious condition hospitalizations and intubations.

Cases, deaths, testing...other kinds of stuff... they've monkey'd with along the way and changed the way they're doing those tallies, making comparisons to prior year's data useless.

8 minutes ago, transam said:

I doubt Thai folk that you know have had C19 3 times as you have....????

As with yourself they may have had it but zero smyptoms.

I actually suspect it's likely i've had it more than 3 times, like many.

Although you've never had it as you've got a fool proof way to protect yourself - comedy gold.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed