Is this being racist?

2 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Is everything racist these days?

This isn't racist..racism is when you act negatively towards a person because of their race, saying someone has a big nose so you know where they're from is just making conversation. The question is how this was said, but the way you explained it, it didn't sound like it was made in a derogatory manner, it sounded like he was just making a joke. 

I guess one could say it is a bit unprofessional/inappropriate but it depends on the work environment, what company is it? If co-workers are just talking amongst themselves this is normal conversation, if it was in a meeting or professional setting then it would be of concern. 

Racism in private is acceptable, even on company time?

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Racism in private is acceptable, even on company time?

It's not racist, making a joke is normal with co-workers when you're not in a professional setting is normal in my opinion, to each their own. 

• Like 1

I remember reading the definition of PC was being offended on others behalf, it's now normal. Having worked in many offices, my opinion is Thai women are quick to complain about harassment, especially if it's from farang. The OP should be interested in the opinions of his colleagues, not seeking support from farang on the net.

Sad and ironic to see people trying to colonize Thailand with Western ideals. I wonder if the OP has any qualms about working for the Thai military?

Edited by Smithson

Just now, dj230 said:

It's not racist, making a joke is normal with co-workers when you're not in a professional setting is normal in my opinion, to each their own.

A racist joke is a racism, wherever it is and no company will tolerate it on their premises or by anyone representing them.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Smithson said:

I remember reading the definition of PC was being offended on others behalf, it's now normal. Having worked on many offices here I know Thai women wine quick to complain about harassment, especially if it's from farang. The OP should be interested in the opinions of his colleagues, not seeking support from farang on the net.

Sad and ironic to see people trying to colonize Thailand with Western ideals. I wonder if the OP has any qualms about working for the Thai military?

Are only the victims permitted to complain about racism?

On 8/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, problemfarang said:

he is all over the thai female personnel. He is flirting with everything he thinks is female. im serious. And we are working for the Royal Thai Airforce

I hope he is not saluting the the females in an improper way ...........

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Not at all, according to the wokies  the correct word to use apparently  is "chalk board"   hahahaha 

I suppose we can't call someone a black sheep of the family, I wonder what the alternative is. 

21 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Slavery was also deemed acceptable at one time, what’s your point

It still is in much of the world. What is your point?

Indentured servitude, bride purchasing and outright slavery.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

There are plenty of jokes about death, but to find anything funny one needs a sense of humour

I wonder if you have a sense of humour at all !    Does anything make you laugh ?   Or do you live your life in total woke misery. constantly trying to find and empathise with the "inevitable" victim hiding somewhere in every joke.  

It's all good until someone gets offended. You seem to want to dismiss that offense as acceptable simply because you consider that it's "just a joke" or isn't racism. It all goes to intent. A racist jibe intended as a joke among friends who understand that it's a joke is fine. The moment someone doesn't think it's a joke, it's unacceptable. The victim gets to decide what's racist, nobody else.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe where you come from, but not here. 

What do you think of acculturation, do you think when moving to Thailand that we should accept your beliefs and insecurities?

I could tell you a few stories! 

Like the Chinese woman shouting out in the bank to my clerk that farang can't become Thai citizens and my ID card must be fake, the golf club telling me that my citizenship was not the same as a brown Thai, etc.

Are you the oracle on what Thais regard as racist? Thais share exactly the same values as everyone else on the planet. "Woke" is not a western concept.

In fact, Thais tend to be more woke than westerners, displaying a lot less animosity towards transgenders than in the west.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Unacceptable as is racism, that’s my point

Lol. And precisely what are you doing about it? Oh yes, posting up message board on a Saturday afternoon.

No, it would seem to be quite acceptable in a large part of the world.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I suppose we can't call someone a black sheep of the family, I wonder what the alternative is. 

hahahha  of course we should never use such a racist phrase . I doubt there is any alternative phrase that would be acceptable to stigmatise what is presumably a "minority group" Just stop for a minute and think how "offensive" that could be to person or persons unknown  lol

I noted in an earlier post that you asked if people referring to your kids as mixed race were being racist,?  well according to english law and at least one member on here, if you, or indeed anybody else that happened to overhear the remark,percieve it to be racist then it must be and you are almost obliged to take legal action if not for yourself then for the benefit of the offendee and society as a whole

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Are you the oracle on what Thais regard as racist? Thais share exactly the same values as everyone else on the planet. "Woke" is not a western concept.

In fact, Thais tend to be more woke than westerners, displaying a lot less animosity towards transgenders than in the west.

I probably know more than most here. 'Woke' is most definitely a Western concept. 

What have ladyboys got to do with racism? 

• Like 2

think i will give him a verbal warning with this and his other few things regarding in our work place.

At this point the other guy told me no need to complain. 

What are you, some kind of crusader? What gives you the right to give him a "verbal warning"?

Firstly, are you his line manager / does he report to you? 

Secondly, if a formal complaint is indeed to be made, it should be made to HR / his line manager.

Thirdly, you'll have a hard time proving that any questionable behavior actually took place - there is no documented proof.

It was just a harmless quip at work that you have obviously taken out of proportion.

In summary, mind your own business.

Edited by varun
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BonMot said:

Lol. And precisely what are you doing about it? Oh yes, posting up message board on a Saturday afternoon.

No, it would seem to be quite acceptable in a large part of the world.

Expressing an opinion the same as you are doing right?

Just because modern slavery still exists does not make exploitation of people acceptable

Edited by coolcarer

On 8/23/2022 at 1:12 PM, Bert got kinky said:

Most stereotypes are true:

Are you suggesting that white men can't jump? :shock1:

Anyone who reads this forum knows without a doubt .........

White men are number 1  when it comes to jumping ,  to conclusions

• Like 1

Just now, BonMot said:

Woke is only a western concept.

Thais aren't capable of understanding or sensitivity toward minorities? You make no sense. "Woke" is a word coined to describe a concept and used as an epithet by the right. It applies to all populations equally.

• Haha 1