Thailand and foreign embassies prepare for influx of foreign criminals in 22/23 High Season

webfact

23 hours ago, thailand49 said:

They couldn't solve a case if it was stirring right at them!  

B0llocks.  You ever read any news that isn't posted by Thaivisa members?   

"...couldn't solve a case if it was stirring right at them! [sic]"

Finding it difficult picturing a criminal case agitating itself with a spoon even though it's probably staring right at me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, steven100 said:

and Thailand doesn't have any criminals? ... I must have had the wrong impression about 90% of Thai people.  Lol ...  silly me 

Often, wenn Thais, even highly-educated ones, talk about crime, it's about 'dangerous Burmese thieves', 'Cambodian crooks', 'Filipino pickpockets', etc. (I heard many Thais, working in well-paid administrative jobs, and being university graduates, talk like that. They always deny that Thais steal something, or are dangerous criminals, but it seems to be 'generally understood' that it's usually 'foreigners' who are to blame for crime...)

Also, how often do you read or hear about crime statistics in Thai media?

(Found via Google: "Thailand has a relatively high crime rate compared to other countries in Asia. Thais are generally law-abiding people but there is a lot of drug abuse in the country, and going hand in hand with that are thefts and petty crime, and on occasion some serious crimes." - Wonder, how many of the crimes, incl. a relatively large number of murders, are committed by foreigners?)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, bradiston said:

what about all the European countries (as that's what they seem to be targeting) harbouring known and wanted Thais, eg Boss? No hurry to send him back is there?

There's a big difference between a country "harbouring" someone (which suggests something illegal) and allowing that person, who is neither a criminal nor is he wanted in any other country, to enter and stay in that country.   

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There's a big difference between a country "harbouring" someone (which suggests something illegal) and allowing that person, who is neither a criminal nor is he wanted in any other country, to enter and stay in that country.   

But it happens that Boss is wanted in Thailand, and if there is a red notice naming him, countries that don't notify the Thai authorities of his entry into their countries would be deemed to be harbouring him surely? And even without a red notice, he is a wanted man in his home country. We read of wanted person's being deported from here on a regular basis. How does this guy differ in the country he is residing?

22 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

It makes no sense to let someone who has committed murder out on bail. If there is a good reason please let me know, I would be very interested to hear what the reason it.

"If there is a good reason please let me know"

Here's a good reason, it's a right. 

No one may like it but it's something that he's entitled to request, and it happens in every country with a similarly-based legal system, not just Thailand.

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Every police department wants the same thing, as does every population. But saying such a thing only betrays their extreme lack of understanding, sophistication and proper training. It is not up to them to choose which tourists come to Thailand.

Seems as though 18 foreign countries disagree with you!  Incidentally, it is up to the RTP who comes to this country, they man the Immigration desks and they have the power to refuse entry to anyone.

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one may like it but it's something that he's entitled to request, and it happens in every country with a similarly-based legal system, not just Thailand.

He is entitled to request it but it should be denied 

Edited by Photoguy21
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, bradiston said:
40 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But it happens that Boss is wanted in Thailand, and if there is a red notice naming him, countries that don't notify the Thai authorities of his entry into their countries would be deemed to be harbouring him surely?

I'm well aware that he is wanted in this country.  Red Notices are advisories only, they are not warrants neither do they have to be acted on by any country that chooses not to, so no it's not "harbouring".

1 minute ago, Photoguy21 said:
22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Bo***cks

Really?  Go on, then, point out whatever was incorrect in that comment of mine.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

I just did answer you. You are not one of these who think the rights of such people are more than the victims are you? If as your ID says you are from Liverpool then I doubt it

4 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

He is entitled to request it but it should be denied 

"He is entitled to request it..."

Exactly.

"...but it should be denied"

That's just your subjective opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I just did answer you. You are not one of these who think the rights of such people are more than the victims are you? If as your ID says you are from Liverpool then I doubt it

No, you did not answer me, you posted that my comment was b0llocks.  It wasn't, it was accurate and I asked you to indicate what was b0llocks about it.

"You are not one of these who think the rights of such people are more than the victims are you?"

No, why would you suggest that I would be?

"If as your ID says you are from Liverpool then I doubt it"

What's that supposed to mean?

My "ID" does not "say that I am from Liverpool". 

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm well aware that he is wanted in this country.  Red Notices are advisories only, they are not warrants neither do they have to be acted on by any country that chooses not to, so no it's not "harbouring".

He is wanted in Thailand. He skipped bail. There is a warrant out for his arrest. If Thailand has made a request regarding his presence in a foreign country then that foreign country is obliged to comply. Harbouring by any other name would smell as bad.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, bradiston said:

We read of wanted person's being deported from here on a regular basis. How does this guy differ in the country he is residing?

"We read of wanted person's being deported from here on a regular basis".

Usually as a result of a successful extradition request or mutually beneficial co-operation of the authorities.

On 8/24/2022 at 8:22 AM, ezzra said:

Lip service it's what it is, look at us, we're on top of things doing our job and guarding this country from foreign criminals, how they propose to do that? check every coming person against a list of internationally known criminals? Talk, big talk...

"Lip service it's what it is, look at us, we're on top of things doing our job"

Maybe the criminals are attracted to the high quality women who entertain many tourists.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Finding it difficult picturing a criminal case agitating itself with a spoon even though it's probably staring right at me.

????  Orgin? 

4 minutes ago, bradiston said:

He is wanted in Thailand. He skipped bail. There is a warrant out for his arrest. If Thailand has made a request regarding his presence in a foreign country then that foreign country is obliged to comply. Harbouring by any other name would smell as bad.

Vorayuth did not skip bail, the warrant for his arrest hadn't been presented at the time that he left Thailand.

"If Thailand has made a request regarding his presence in a foreign country then that foreign country is obliged to comply".

That's not correct.  If you're referring to an Interpol Red Notice being issued, they are advisory notices, nothing more.   There is no obligation on any Interpol member police force to act on them.

If you're suggesting that any country is obliged to arrest and deport/extradite any individual just at the request of another country, you're wrong there also.

5 minutes ago, thailand49 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

????  Orgin? 

What?

50 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Usually as a result of a successful extradition request or mutually beneficial co-operation of the authorities.

So doesn't Thailand have extradition treaties with any country Boss has been spotted in?

Just now, bradiston said:
51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So doesn't Thailand have extradition treaties with any country Boss has been spotted in?

Yes, but extradition requests have to be very specific and countries receiving them do not have to agree to extradition to Thailand.  Just that he may have been spotted somewhere isn't enough.

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Vorayuth did not skip bail, the warrant for his arrest hadn't been presented at the time that he left Thailand.

"If Thailand has made a request regarding his presence in a foreign country then that foreign country is obliged to comply".

That's not correct.  If you're referring to an Interpol Red Notice being issued, they are advisory notices, nothing more.   There is no obligation on any Interpol member police force to act on them.

If you're suggesting that any country is obliged to arrest and deport/extradite any individual just at the request of another country, you're wrong there also.

My research says he was charged and released on a $16,000 bail bond. He then skipped.

"While Vorayuth later admitted to police that he had hit the policeman, he told investigators the man had abruptly cut in front of him. He was charged with reckless driving and failing to stop or inform authorities – a potential 10-year jail sentence – and released on 500,000-baht [£10,100] bail. It was unclear what the results of his blood alcohol test were."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/sep/04/red-bull-heir-hit-run-thailand

There seems to be all sorts of <deleted> a out the red notice. Can't get to the bottom of that. But from the above, he's a bail skipper and a wanted man, though I'm not sure what he was charged with back in 2012.