Verdict on Prayut’s tenure in 30 days soonest

webfact

image.jpeg

The nature of the decision by the constitutional court last Wednesday might have been unexpected for many people, as it ordered Prayut Chan-o-cha to cease performing his duties as prime minister while the matter of his 8-years tenure is considered by the court.

A legal expert says that, although people may want the answer now, the earliest the country will get it from the court is in 30 days. There is a 15-day window of opportunity for Prayut to submit evidence and documentation to support his case and another 15 days or more for the court’s deliberations.

“The constitutional court allows General Prayut 15 days to present whatever he has as,” said Associate

Professor Dr.Jade Donavanik of the Faculty of Law at the College of Asian Scholars, adding “So within 15 days, they might be taking on the legal issues relating to this particular aspect of General Prayut staying for 8 years, whether it is counted from 2014, 2017, or 2019. So, they can prepare. Once General Prayut submits the facts that he sees fit, then I think, in another 15 days, the Constitutional Court should be able to come up with the wording or the decision”.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/verdict-on-prayuts-tenure-in-30-days-soonest/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I was led to believe, maybe wrongly, that when he took his second term he resigned from the army. If so why is he still referred to as General.

Ex military can retain the rank title.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I was led to believe, maybe wrongly, that when he took his second term he resigned from the army. If so why is he still referred to as General.

Same as expired US Presidents are still addressed as President. What is said sometimes doesn't reflect reality. It's a strange world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sambum said:

So if something doesn't affect you, you don't have an opinion on it?

And surely, a change in leadership/government in the country you are (presumably) living in could affect you - in numerous ways?

As I said before, referring to the prime minister, there's probably nothing I could do about it. I'm too old to join rallies nowadays. 

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

As I said before, referring to the prime minister, there's probably nothing I could do about it. I'm too old to join rallies nowadays. 

But you can still have an opinion about something knowing that it has little chance of directly altering anything - nobody is suggesting you join a rally, but by voicing an opinion, you let people know which side of the fence you sit on!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

But you can still have an opinion about something knowing that it has little chance of directly altering anything - nobody is suggesting you join a rally, but by voicing an opinion, you let people know which side of the fence you sit on!

Is that so. If there's something I could resolve there's no need to worry, and if there's something I cannot resolve there's no need to worry. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The nature of the decision by the constitutional court last Wednesday might have been unexpected for many people, as it ordered Prayut Chan-o-cha to cease performing his duties as prime minister while the matter of his 8-years tenure is considered by the court.

Should have all been sorted out with a new PM before his expiry date.

This is the usual "after the event" re-active thing Thailand does best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

It takes 30 days to count up to 8 starting with 2014? The maths here is worse than I thought! ???? 

There are 3 different dates  2014-2017-2019 . 

Prayut will  for sure Argue in court that he started officially in 2019. 

However, the start date of the eight-year limit remains a key legal question. Is it when Prayut assumed his post in 2014, when the current Constitution came into force on April 6, 2017, or when Prayut was appointed by royal command as PM on June 9, 2019, after the general election in March that year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MICHAEL DAVID STREET said:

Why is he still wearing army uniform if he resigned?

He is often seen in the standard (khaki) Civil Service uniform and the formal dress whites Civil Service uniform. Images of him wearing Army uniforms are old. There will be special occasions that he is permitted and expected to wear his former military uniform and that applies to all veterans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1