Why do people want a condo for their 2 week holiday ???

Peterw42

Couldn't agree more.

I did try that with a big family contingent to Hua Hin. 

I found we spent hours shopping for food and cooking.  

Clean every three days, 1,200 if you asked for an extra day cleaning.

Towels didn't match and the pantry didn't really have descent cookware. 

Beautiful condo but I prefer a hotel on the beach with the huge buffet breakfast. 

Maids everyday with turndowns service.

Walkable to bars, restaurants, and shopping.

In the end it would have been the same price as a stay the Hua Hin Marriott or Hilton with 3 adjoining rooms.

Interesting time.  It was the first days of the pandemic.  

Hua Hin became virtually empty of tourists. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Not allowed in my condo.
Short term rentals forbidden and now, you can only enter the building with face recognition.

Sounds like my type of condo. The one I stayed in at Jomtien, it was nothing to see a dozen pairs of sandals outside some doors and the noise at weekends was horrendous. Also, forget about bagging a sunbed at the pool, they were all gone first thing and parking spaces were difficult to find.  I moved to a house in the end.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Most people stay in resorts. I think the OP is confused.

Not confused.  When I first started traveling to Thailand I would rent a condo for the month in BKK for 5k to 8k.  Stay in BKK for a week and then travel out for a few days to other locales, and then return, Cheap as chips for a base as a hotel for 2 weeks would have run me twice to 3 times as much, and I could cook for myself, or bring up street food to eat.  I would fly to Phuket, Udon, Chiang Mai, stay a few days in cheap establishments, but in the end when I did the math it always ended up being cost effective and cheaper in the long run. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not confused.  When I first started traveling to Thailand I would rent a condo for the month in BKK for 5k to 8k.  Stay in BKK for a week and then travel out for a few days to other locales, and then return, Cheap as chips for a base as a hotel for 2 weeks would have run me twice to 3 times as much, and I could cook for myself, or bring up street food to eat.  I would fly to Phuket, Udon, Chiang Mai, stay a few days in cheap establishments, but in the end when I did the math it always ended up being cost effective and cheaper in the long run. 

The average tourist stays 14 nights. It makes no sense to rent a condo unless staying in 1 place.

Could be many good reasons, eg.

Price, especially for groups.

Own cooking - especially for those with special dietary needs not easily accommodated in restaurants.

(And, no 'joiners' fee, perhaps? Ahem.)

Condos can be much better for families and offer more room. My wife and I like our own bathroom when we travel and I prefer sleeping alone because of a medical affliction, so we usually buy 2 x rooms with interconnecting door if we stay in a hotel. It's more expensive than a serviced apartment and has less benefits, so an apartment would be better. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

The average tourist stays 14 nights. It makes no sense to rent a condo unless staying in 1 place.

1 place or more. 2 weeks vs a month. Pay for the month still cheaper than 2 weeks in a hotel, again my view. 

• Like 1

Kitchen, laundry, pool that’s usually bigger than at a hotel. Additionally, if you like a view, there’s a big advantage in being able to book a specific apartment. You might book a room in a high rise hotel, only to end up on a low floor.

Before the pandemic, I had several holidays staying in apartments in Croatia and Montenegro, where there doesn’t ever seem to have been the controversy over short term rentals there is in Thailand, probably because people there have been renting out their apartments on a weekly basis long before Airbnb ever existed.

Again before the pandemic, the short term renters never bothered me when I was staying in the condo I own in Jomtien. In fact, the younger Russian ladies added some welcome colour to the swimming pool area. Putin’s probably guaranteed that we’ll never see their like again.

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Most people stay in resorts. I think the OP is confused.

I wish that was the case--it's not, at least for some condo projects.  My partner and I lived in two different new condo projects in Pattaya.  Both around 1000-1200 units.  They would have been wonderful places to live were it not for the illegal daily renters messing everything up.  Believe me when I say it was a big problem, pre-covid, for some projects.

We owned a third condo as a rental at another large, new project, also around 1000 mostly small units.  Had a long-term tenant who was happy at first--until the illegal daily renters invaded and made the place unpleasant.  We saw the writing on the wall and sold that condo--and the other two we owned and lived at.  

We're in a house now but if we ever moved back into a condo we would look for an older project with bigger condo unit sizes and fewer units altogether.   I think that gives you a better chance of not being in a project over-run with illegal daily renters using it as a hotel.    We wised-up with the last condo we owned--less than 200 units in the project and the smallest unit was 64 sqm.  No unpleasant daily rental churn, no feeling like you're living in hotel. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Not saying its all or most tourists, but I see it mentioned often enough in facebook groups, forums etc. "has anyone stayed at ABC condo, whats the best condo in a certain area", "looking for a condo for 2 weeks" etc. Enough to be a concern and question why its has become a trend.

Never seen it mentioned 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Look around

Where I live here in BKK and in my Condo unit as well as the house in Hua Hin, all of my neighbors even though older all look thin and in shape, walk or jog and workout regularly, now I can't say that for some of the Thai's as they never seem to walk except to the front door to pick up their foodpanda or grab order.....and they are chunky

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Some people don't eat Thai food and like to do their own cooking.

And like to leave all their personal stuff laying around, without the worry of cleaners entering the room, while out. can do your own washing, and cooking, bath. 

• Like 2

I'm so glad our condo building in Chiang Mai cracked down on the short-term rentals.  The short-term holiday renters would bully the non-English speaking security guards, thinking they were front desk clerks, expect the office to be a 24/7 operation (it's not), drag luggage in/out while while talking loudly at all hours and gripe about the lack of furniture around the pool.  Hint:  it's meant for swimming, not lounging and partying because there are condo units directly adjacent.

• Like 1

Uhm, because they can perhaps? Why do people go camping?, why do people hire campervans?, why do people only stay in fan rooms?, why do people only use air bnb?, Why do people stay in backpackers? Why do people stay in exclusive ridiculously expensive hotels. Stay tuned for the next exciting instalment of why do people not do exactly the same as I do.

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1