Thailand grapples with allowing more Chinese landowners

webfact

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

This dreamy and and deeply conditioned fanciful ideology has long passed. 

Can't underestimate a wounded animal.

US has bases here and gives over plenty of dosh every year.

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You think the US will let them?

Prob more like a slow economic takeover like in Laos where they turned the northern part of the country into a giant palm oil plantation.

In which case, the US would not intervene. Who eats more palm oil junk than Americans?

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Wonder why that is. Could it be because the Chinese are hard workers as opposed to the striking, slackers in the west?

A strange statement to make!

Edited by Bday Prang

8 hours ago, Excel said:

Perhaps because the article is written by PREM SINGH GILL, a third generation Indian here and we all know of the general Indian prejudice against the Chinese, almost as bad as some of the posters on here.

Is it obligatory to like the chinese here?    Not yet thankfully,

Not so much Thais struggling with this invented issue - more so belongs to the ever vigilant Westerner and their insipid and unreasoned hatred towards most everything China/Chinese. 

Deep repeated conditioning is almost impossible to eradicate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

No reason to be smug ,  I doubt that will help you when the <deleted> hits the fan 

Reminds me of that old racist Enoch Powell forecasting "rivers of blood" if  blacks were allowed into Britain. Never happened. 

How do you suppose there are Chinese Thais here? Yes, Chinese came to Thailand in the thousands. For hundreds of years. 

If people are poor and decide to sell land it's their choice, not yours. 

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Reminds me of that old racist Enoch Powell forecasting "rivers of blood" if  blacks were allowed into Britain. Never happened. 

How do you suppose there are Chinese Thais here? Yes, Chinese came to Thailand in the thousands. For hundreds of years. 

If people are poor and decide to sell land it's their choice, not yours. 

What on earth are you talking about this has nothing to do with "enoch powell" or black people being allowed to live in the UK. The Uk immigrants are from many different countries and consequently have no common agenda 

There is a sinister agenda on the part of China that you seem unable to understand. There have been many examples of what the chinese are upto mentioned on this thread I think its time you stopped listening to your elite Thai / Chinese in laws and opened your eyes  The chinese have set their sights on most of south east asia in the short term and a  lot further a field in the longer term , If they succeed in their objectives life will become a lot more miserable for a lot of people your self included if it happens soon enough. 

I have never said it is any of my business who poor people sell their land to...

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comments removed
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

There is a China town about 100 houses on my boundary wall its deserted and the jungle is now reclaiming even the clubhouse 6 months ago the security guard was withdrawn and the street lights turned off these are new houses some not even finished looks like everyone run out of money at the same time covid I suspect ????

Same situation in Nyapyidaw in Myanmar. Huge Chinese owned new luxury hotels everywhere standing idle, closed up.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

IMO I think it is good that foreigners cannot own land in Thailand, if they could the price of land would skyrocket and local people would not be able to afford to buy land.

In some way you are right, but how much land has been purchased with foreign money in the name of a Thai (wife, girlfriend, partner)?
Some simple regulations could avoid land prices becoming a skyrocket. Foreigners can only buy a limited land
size (
e.g. 1 Rai per foreigner). The land only can be used as resident for the owner (no business, no rental). Foreigner owned land can't be sold or bequeath to non Thai nationals. 

On 8/30/2022 at 6:14 AM, spermwhale said:

It's disgusting to me that after all these years of barring foreigners from owning Thai dirt, that they are now considering it for the CHINESE. 

Its not specific to Chinese, its open to anyone. And like any of these schemes their are many unspoken regulations which make it far less attractive than it appears at 1st glance.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

The Chinese, no doubt, also would see buying land in Thailand as a 'strategic decision', probably more so than a commercial or speculative one.

Nah, most people are just trying to put their money safe somewhere and where it can grow and to own something. Most people do not have ulterior motives.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 9:49 AM, RocketDog said:

Sure, that's an issue. But that's not what you were saying. You spoke about individuals selling to foreigners. Drop the deflection thing.

Look up analogy then get back to me lol. I dont think individuals can sell foreign ports or water leases. Jesus wept. Did you think there was actually someone selling a car who couldnt choose between whitey and a chinese gentleman? ????????????????

Edited by starky

19 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, they are. But the difference is that they do so in the 21st, rather than the 19th or early 20th century. But of course, more and more is one reminded on what one learnt in history class at school, that happened a hundred years ago, happen- ing (in similar ways) now, with the difference, of course, that the players are others, and the dictators don't sport moustaches anymore... (And China will use their guns. They did so in the past against the Soviets and Vietnamese, not to mention the Korea War, and, just recently, agains Indian border troops. Also, how do you think, they intimidated people living in Bhutanese and Nepali border areas they are encroaching onto? - So far, the Chinese are careful not to get into direct military conflict with the U.S., but they will sooner or later. The question is not 'if', but 'when'. Also, some 'smaller' Western countries like Australia and New Zealand have been threatened recently 'not to get mixed up in Chinese territorial claims'.)

Australia and less so New Zealand who without China buying the lion share of their goods and sevices would be far worse off, who unilaterally agree with their One China policy but yet have to rattle their sabres occassionally to appease the US who they perpetually suck up to. Hypocrites both.

On 8/31/2022 at 2:04 AM, Kohkah said:

In some way you are right, but how much land has been purchased with foreign money in the name of a Thai (wife, girlfriend, partner)?
Some simple regulations could avoid land prices becoming a skyrocket. Foreigners can only buy a limited land
size (
e.g. 1 Rai per foreigner). The land only can be used as resident for the owner (no business, no rental). Foreigner owned land can't be sold or bequeath to non Thai nationals. 

The land purchased by a Foreigner in the name of a Thai is still owned by a Thai regardless who paid. It is hard enough now for a thai to buy land but to allow Foreigners to own land would push up the prices which will effect local Thais. As for allowing Foreigner to own say just one rai, I can see a Foreigner suddenly having all his relations owning land next to each other and how many rai is that? There will always be someone to find a way around restrictions of ownwership. There is the easy way of having a company here and then you can buy land and own it, a friend has purchased many beachfront rai in a company name and is just sitting on it to sell at a much higher price. Also some large Thai companys have done the same.

On 8/30/2022 at 9:13 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Land is already way overpriced here. 

Over priced for who? In large citys you will pay a higher price, just the same as in any country. I know there is a big differance in land prices in the countryside depending where you are, for example Southern comapared to Northern prices. It also depends on how much money you have in your bank account as to if it is overpriced. 

13 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Over priced for who? In large citys you will pay a higher price, just the same as in any country. I know there is a big differance in land prices in the countryside depending where you are, for example Southern comapared to Northern prices. It also depends on how much money you have in your bank account as to if it is overpriced. 

Overpriced for the majority of Thai people.