Bangkok morning turns to night - it's climate change as top Thai scientist warns of more "extreme weather"

webfact

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

And there was I thinking it was just a regular wet-season storm :whistling:

Climate-change is real enough (just how much of it is down to us humans is debatable) but I don't think we can really put yesterday's bit of cloud down to it 100%.

If the planet is truly warming, each of the following would be expected to occur.

• Greater evaporation from the oceans.
  • Higher atmospheric water absorption (humidity/clouds).
  • Increased winds generated; more severe storms.
  • Higher levels of precipitation, inclusive of hail and snow; more flooding.
  • Increased salinity of oceans in areas of greatest evaporation.
  • Rising sea levels in the equatorial zone and bordering tropics due to salinity increase.
  • Eventual slowing of the planet's speed of rotation due to shifting of oceanic waters.

Putting all of these together, it should be a relatively straightforward process, from a scientific standpoint, to determine if we are actually in a warming trend.  I suspect that we are indeed.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not like this year, they are historic floods with a third of the country underwater and food shortages to follow. Must be jumping on the bandwagon eh......

A third of the country underwater? Lol but the flooding miraculously stopped at the India  and Afghanistan  borders?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flink said:

And you can provide conclusive proof of that claim? 

That's already happened. Many links to credible articles have already been posted on this board which adequately establish that climate change is anthropomorphous and is an existential emergency. I'm not going to be drawn into reposting it all for those who won't read them anyway. We know they don't read them because they keep repeating the same debunked talking points without addressing the evidence in those posts.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Trentham said:

I hope you are better at photography than you are at science.

Climate Change is an on going phenomenon that happens everywhere, the Sun, the other planets and space too. Everything is in a state of movement and change. It would be wrong to think that Earth was any different. However, it would also wrong to infer that I am saying that our present conditions are completely 'natural'. On the contrary. All animals affect the environment one way or another but human activity is by far the largest affect done wilfully. The question is just how much of these effects are detrimental? Whether I want a petrol or electric car, cell phone,PC etc. etc. all the materials have to mined, processed and purified before they ever reach the factory. Take for example Lithium (much heard about in modern times), a much sought after chemical element. Yes it is abundant but because it is very reactive it is only found in minerals or other compounds. After processing, In its elemental form it must be stored in special areas. How much of the mining, processing, waste and storage is detrimental to the environment? It isn't zero and this is only one item that our present technology requires. Human beings have polluted the air since they were in caves where they burned materials to keep warm and we continue to pollute. How much this pollution drives 'unfavourable or extreme' Climate Change is debatable because there isn't an agreed standard 'control model' we can compare with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Here is a prediction for Darwin, Australia which is on a similar latitude as Bangkok. Bangkok can expect to same the same sort of changes.

Predictions for Darwin, in northern Australia, suggest an increase in days with temperatures above 35℃ from 11 days a year in 2015 to an average of 43 days under the mid-range emission scenario (IPCC’s RCP4.5 scenario) by 2030 and an average of 111 (range 54-211) days by 2090. Under the higher emission scenario (IPCC’s RCP8.5), an average of 265 days above 35℃ could be reached by 2090.

https://theconversation.com/climate-explained-will-the-tropics-eventually-become-uninhabitable-145174

Seriously ugly: here’s how Australia will look if the world heats by 3°C this century

At 3℃ of global warming, Australia’s present-day ecological systems would be unrecognisable.

https://theconversation.com/seriously-ugly-heres-how-australia-will-look-if-the-world-heats-by-3-c-this-century-157875

1975  Darwin got blown away?

30 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I don't find that funny in the slightest, each to their own I guess

You have never been to Pakistan-I have. Why didn't the water spill over the borders into India or Afghanistan- Did the Himalayas get covered too?

Fortunately the people of Pakistan have the fortitude to deal with such disasters as they KNOW it is the will of Allah.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You have never been to Pakistan-I have. Why didn't the water spill over the borders into India or Afghanistan- Did the Himalayas get covered too?

Fortunately the people of Pakistan have the fortitude to deal with such disasters as they KNOW it is the will of Allah.

Couldn't care less about your travels:

Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Less we forget the handful of disruptive mini-ice ages that have plagued the planet and human civilisation of the last several thousand years - all of which were instigated or cause by way of natural events. 

Said events were obvious to blind freddy like massive volcanic explosions. There isn't anything natural going on to cause global warming or massive CO2 increase which is the prime cause.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, allanos said:

In the recent past, extreme weather events have been observed acting on some of the planets in our solar system.

Astronomers and astrophysicists have either been perplexed at some of the extremes, or have blamed the sun's activity, especially where heat has made off-the-scale increases.

It is obvious that man cannot be blamed for the extremes noticed on other of our neighbours'. Yet, here, man is blamed.

To me, (and many others, one supposes), this is totally counter-intuitive. 

Such anomalies go unremarked-on by those subscribing to earth's global warming or climate change scenarios. Why? Because they have to stick to the script, no matter how ridiculous it may at times be.

Extreme weather events are natural on Earth too. What's not natural is the TREND towards ever more extreme events and temperatures.