Schoolboy needs surgery after being forced by teacher to stand and sit 200 times

webfact

1 minute ago, Thunglom said:

so you have a price list - You know te "public" hospital you have in mind will do this? You realise that they have the surgeon to do it? Or did they pass him on to a private hospital - 

I really do not know.

I am in the U.K at the moment and I have had no contact with anyone involved in this story 

• Haha 1

This is not an isolated incident, I was a teacher at a very large private school for a few years, I have seen kids beaten with bamboo sticks, made to kneel on a tile floor with the rest of the body in the upright position for up to an hour, with a big whack if they moved, my own grandson last week was with a class that was made to stand in direct sun and 38 deg heat for 40 minutes, the school couldn't understand why I was upset, the teachers seem to please themselves and when you complain they deny it most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

You realise that they have the surgeon to do it? Or did they pass him on to a private hospital - 

I know the answer to this question cuz my daughter got passed from a government hospital to a private hospital when they couldn't treat her. The government pays as long as you obtain the medical documents allowing the referral in the first place.    Very Happy  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I know the answer to this question cuz my daughter got passed from a government hospital to a private hospital when they couldn't treat her. The government pays as long as you obtain the medical documents allowing the referral in the first place.    Very Happy  

..and you feel that puts you ia position to make a medical diagnosis on this situation?

you could take up self brain surgery next...... you might be disappointed in what you find.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

Geez maybe the punishment was a bit extreme… but at the same time the parents or whoever takes care of the child be called into school at

asked why the child wasn’t in school… maybe the 

kid is a habitual offender … we don’t know. 

I’ve two nephew in laws older one goes to school

every day.. the younger one will take off because he doesn’t want to go to school…. And he skips school quiet often.. he’s 9 or 10.

14 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Most Thais could do with some exercise especially since covid and this proofs it, as he shouldn't be injured after doing exercise at his age.  i could do that at my age and not be injured            Also its a good punishment as i bet he wouldnt do it again. 

Well dont just sit there talking about what you can do , stand and sit down 200 times and see whether you can do it without injuring yourself 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

You expect the teacher to spend his free time teaching a student after class - sure and the Easter bunny is real. 

Most teachers remain in school long after classes finish. It is an expectation. They don't leave after the final class's finishes. Teachers are not paid by the hour. 

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Source?

• Numerous studies have found that physical punishment increases the risk of broad and enduring negative developmental outcomes.
  • No study has found that physical punishment enhances developmental health.
  • Most child physical abuse occurs in the context of punishment.
  • A professional consensus is emerging that parents should be supported in learning nonviolent, effective approaches to discipline.
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
  • Numerous studies have found that physical punishment increases the risk of broad and enduring negative developmental outcomes.
  • No study has found that physical punishment enhances developmental health.
  • Most child physical abuse occurs in the context of punishment.
  • A professional consensus is emerging that parents should be supported in learning nonviolent, effective approaches to discipline.

I was looking for a source on "It is a proven fact that physical punishment does not improve learning outcomes".

What you have quoted not only doesn't support that, but it sounds like it is talking about parents physically punishing their children.

So, any source on the original claim?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

You are qualified to diagnose this patient or are you just trying to justify your untenable original position.?

I never diagnosed anything, just said I would question surgery so quickly as a first reaction. I believe thats a common action to take. You may not feel that way 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So, any source on the original claim?

Generally punishment in schools seems to be ineffective, dangerous and unacceptable method of controlling and maintaining behavior and discipline as it brings negative rather than positive consequences in the whole process of teaching and learning.

https://www.grin.com/document/192155

21 hours ago, Thunglom said:

The synovium, is connective tissue that lines the inside of the joint capsule. it's a joint capsule, or articular capsule. It is a bubble-like structure that surrounds joints such as the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, knee, foot and ankle. If inflamed it can be removed by surgery.

So you comment on many posts about people that question this situation as not being qualified to diagnose this injury , while you provide your own diagnosis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I kind of get the feeling kids must be really unhealthy these days if they get sick after standing and sitting 200 times. Maybe circuit training should be added to the children's gym regime !

You try it- see if you get past 40.

A very fit person would get to around 100.

Notwithstanding, yes we are generally very unfit bunch these days.  

5 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Well, he probably wasn't that active.  Back when I was in school, our teacher offered free coupons to ice creams at DQ for students completing certain physical activities.  One of those on the list was for doing 300 consecutive squat jumps.  My brother practiced up for it for a few weeks, then made an attempt to demonstrate it one day in the classroom in front of the teacher.  He made it to 285, at which point his legs gave out.  He was unable even to stand up!  As he had obviously come close, and had gone to the utter limit of his ability, the teacher gave him the coupon.

He didn't, of course, need any surgery afterward, though I'm sure he was sore for a few days.

He didn't, of course, need any surgery afterward

Because he'd been training for a few weeks.

Edited by mommysboy

5 hours ago, Dan O said:

So you comment on many posts about people that question this situation as not being qualified to diagnose this injury , while you provide your own diagnosis. 

I most certainly haven't! you need to read more carefully

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

I most certainly haven't! you need to read more carefully

I think you may want to go back and read your own posts and not badger others for what your doing 

Have a great day 

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

I think you may want to go back and read your own posts and not badger others for what your doing 

Have a great day 

It is not surprising to encounter people who can't be bothered to read on this site.....it astounds me that they think they have an opinion - surely their friends would tell them?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Thunglom said:

It is not surprising to encounter people who can't be bothered to read on this site.....it astounds me that they think they have an opinion - surely their friends would tell them?

21 hours ago, Dan O said:

Have a great day 

Yes! See! You can't find it no you've read it!!!