Schoolboy needs surgery after being forced by teacher to stand and sit 200 times

webfact

10 hours ago, jonclark said:

A child will learn fire hurts.

But  I think there is a clear difference between a self directed action such as you have described. And a physical punishment imposed on a child by an adult. 

disagree, any pain makes you think twice regardless of its  source whether right or  wrong self  inflcited or not.

There  is a  clear difference between the fire and the  punishment but the fact remains you remember due to the pain.

• Like 2

These stories make the news. But 99.99% of the time in Thailand, there is no recourse at all to student behavior. They are allowed to get away with murder. I have some classes where half the students show up. Students repeatedly get up to goof off around a classroom, ignoring both farang and Thai teachers. When this is brought up, shoulders are shrugged, and "up to them" is always the answer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Likewise a teacher here for over 20 years and I disagree with everything you have written about what is accepted or not. 

Believe me I don't like physical punishment and always looing for alternatives. As I did in a school I wanted to let students clean the toilets or wash the schoolbusses, but the head of the English department said that I could not punish them this way and she went upwith the stick and solved the problem( she thought but of course it did notl help) and students in several schools said it is n o problems as it hurts a bit and is quick gone. In international schools I don't know how they punish but rural school I am sure noting else is accepted 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

We must turn the other cheek.  If retaliation the only way possible, then we must attack and bomb Russia.  Then they bomb us, and it never ends.

What happens is that the kid learns of bullying and later in life passes it on down the line, bullying supposed inferiors. You can see it in action from many who wear a uniform and make life as difficult as possible for those they are meant to serve, Thais and foreigners alike.

It is largely based on Thailand's archaic social ladder system, where everyone must know their place and bow and scrape to their 'superiors'. They fight back by bullying others, which gives them a greater feeling of self-esteem.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I kind of get the feeling kids must be really unhealthy these days if they get sick after standing and sitting 200 times. Maybe circuit training should be added to the children's gym regime !

I won't argue with that because I've never seen how this school does the routine. 

My first school, the student is standing and then sits/squats till the bum touches the ground and then a quick up. No chairs involved. Our kids had to do 20 when late for the flag.  Its tough!   200 would be painful. 

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Believe me I don't like physical punishment and always looing for alternatives. As I did in a school I wanted to let students clean the toilets or wash the schoolbusses, but the head of the English department said that I could not punish them this way and she went upwith the stick and solved the problem( she thought but of course it did notl help) and students in several schools said it is n o problems as it hurts a bit and is quick gone. In international schools I don't know how they punish but rural school I am sure noting else is accepted 

You maybe need to advise your Head of English that the Ministry of Education has outlaw all forms of corporal punishment in schools. So this punishment is not accepted by Thai society and your HoD is acting in a criminal manner. 

Its one of those odd situations - If i took a stick to a child and hit them with it in the street, no doubt people would be outraged, yet if it was done in a school building it would be accepted? 

I know it goes on - the recent case of the kindergarten teacher at one of the Sarases schools being a case in point earlier in the year- glad to see the parents managed to get a few kicks in at the press conference / school meeting afterwards. But that doesn't mean accepted - Teachers accept it as it rudimentary and requires minimal effort and really is a negative reflection on their poor teaching practice. But I do not believe for a second parents or Thai society in general accepts it. The parent in this case (and the Sarass case) do not accept it. 

Would you accept your child being physically punished by a teacher? 

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

disagree, any pain makes you think twice regardless of its  source whether right or  wrong self  inflcited or not.

There  is a  clear difference between the fire and the  punishment but the fact remains you remember due to the pain.

Changing peoples' behavior through the administration of corporal punishment does not work. 

If you arrive late for work should you manager  / boss take you outside and give you a dam good thrashing? After all you will then think twice about turning up late for work - or would that be unacceptable and only reserved for students at school?  

Learning and remembering are two very different outcomes. 

19 hours ago, jonclark said:

The teacher gave him this punishment for being late to class. It is a proven fact that physical punishment does not improve learning outcomes and that should be a teachers main concern. Punishing a student for attending a class late is the worst thing any teacher can do as the punishment, especiallu in this case probably distracted the whole class from learning and wasted many teaching and learning minutes as the teacher oversaw and focused on the delivery of the punishment. 

A better response would have been for the student to return at the end of the day and complete or catch up on any missed learning and thereby improve learning outcomes - which is a teachers job. 

Teachers can not keep students late after school because the parents or the minibus will not wait for them.

I wish that the media and those involved would publish the whole story.

Students continually coming in late 

Students being noisy when they come in

students not care about a teacher or other students.

Not saying this is the case but ....

The other point is that when Thai parents read these things, just like in other countries, there are parents that see dollar signs.

200 is not a number you start with I am willing to bet that it has been going on for awhile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Of course, this is not my country and I never understand the behavior, laws, or anything.......If I was really shocked, I would leave.

Are you suggesting Thais just leave ? as you said, You never understand anything 

21 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

We must turn the other cheek.  If retaliation the only way possible, then we must attack and bomb Russia.  Then they bomb us, and it never ends......Every wrong will be met with a wrong and it will go exponential.    

Of course, this is not my country and I never understand the behavior, laws, or anything.......If I was really shocked, I would leave.

This will keep happening over and over and over and over and over....

maybe the media is reporting 1% of all bad actions.   maybe 0.0001%

So grieng jai? We don't want the teacher to lose face do we. You are going a mite over the top methinks.????

23 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Some things are being blowed up.....Students are good , teachers are bad... why not more about the boys behavior?? How many times warned?? Why did the teacher give this punishment??  too less information. Believe me students are real assho... sometimes and some even always

bad behaviour yes i admit some students are problem kids but  Expel him this type of punishment to any student is not acceptable 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Why can't he use the government hospital and pay 30 Bahts? What other expenses?

Some of those Government hospitals only offer basic treatment and they may have went to a private hospital . 

The other expenses are stated in the story and I cannot be bothered to write them again if you cannot be bothered to read the story

16 hours ago, Dan O said:

Or treated with medication. As I said I would question the need for surgery as the first line of treatment.  Not saying there is no issue just the quick jump to surgery. Without more detail no one knows the true issue with your suggestion only a possibility. 

You are qualified to diagnose this patient or are you just trying to justify your untenable original position.?

On 8/30/2022 at 5:44 PM, jonclark said:

The teacher gave him this punishment for being late to class. It is a proven fact that physical punishment does not improve learning outcomes and that should be a teachers main concern. Punishing a student for attending a class late is the worst thing any teacher can do as the punishment, especiallu in this case probably distracted the whole class from learning and wasted many teaching and learning minutes as the teacher oversaw and focused on the delivery of the punishment. 

A better response would have been for the student to return at the end of the day and complete or catch up on any missed learning and thereby improve learning outcomes - which is a teachers job. 

You expect the teacher to spend his free time teaching a student after class - sure and the Easter bunny is real. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some of those Government hospitals only offer basic treatment and they may have went to a private hospital . 

Nah he would easily get physiotherapy at a government hospital. Nothing said in the story about going private. You are speculating that he 'may have went to a private hospital'. Read the story.

It's his mother that has demanded 150,000 as compensation. Not for the sons injuries but for herself for lost earnings. She must have a good job.

So the mother gets 149,970 Baht for lost wages and the kid get 30 Baht and an ice-cream for seeing a doctor. It'll all be settled with apologies and wai's.

• Like 2

Nah he would easily get physiotherapy at a government hospital. Nothing said in the story about going private. You are speculating that he 'may have went to a private hospital'. Read the story.

Yes, but I thought to myself * The Mother is asking for 150 000 Baht for medical fees , that is more money than a public hospital , so she would have had to pay other medical bills which would have meant she had private treatment and thus asked for the amount she did"

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but I thought to myself * The Mother is asking for 150 000 Baht for medical fees , that is more money than a public hospital , so she would have had to pay other medical bills which would have meant she had private treatment and thus asked for the amount she did"

Speculation. Nothing said about private treatment and it took a week for her before she took him to see a doctor. It's claimed the boy needs 'minor' surgery which I'm sure can be carried out at a government hospital.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

so you have a price list - You know te "public" hospital you have in mind will do this? You realise that they have the surgeon to do it? Or did they pass him on to a private hospital - 

Speculation. Nothing said about private treatment and it took a week for her before she took him to see a doctor. It's claimed the boy needs 'minor' surgery which I'm sure can be carried out at a government hospital.

OK, as long as you are completely 100 percent sure that her local Government hospital can carry out the procedure and you aren't just speculating that they could .

My local Government hospital  just seemed to be able to offer a bandage or a drip for serious issues and that was about it . But if you are completely sure her local hospital could carry out the surgery, she should have gone there to that hospital and had free treatment 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

If your kid was hurt this bad, you would try to get as much as possible.

He was so bad his mother never took him see a doctor for one week? It couldn't have been that bad cud it?    Scratchchin

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Haha 1