Parents left heartbroken after daughter, 7, found dead in van at private school - mother suspects foul play

webfact

16 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

That "van monitor" duty has fallen to teachers here where I am.  Already over-worked teachers are made to come in early to go out with the vans on their rounds, then return home late after the evening rounds are done.  Here this is done on a rotation basis, with teachers rotating on a three-week schedule (one week on, two weeks off).  Keep in mind that a school has multiple vans, sent out in various directions, with each one needing the staffing, so some schools might require more frequent times for "on duty," and some schools may have less frequent.

Realistically the ‘van monitor was never needed. 

It was a typical Thai solution which superficially dealt with a problem without solving the real issue. 

The real solution is of course ensuring drivers were fully accountable and responsible. 

Ultimately, too many tragic events occurred, too many drivers proven un-responsible so the responsibility was passed over a ‘van-monitor’.

The astonishing part of all this: IF someone is not responsible to ensure children are not locked in a bus, how are they possibly responsible to drive that bus ???...  ‘elephant in the room’ !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What did she die of ?

I don't think that sitting on a bus for eight hours would kill the girl

If it was sitting in the sun, windows closed,  it might.... but if it was indeed the Pattaya area and yesterday, it rained all afternoon. A bit of a mystery so far, no mention of whether the driver confirmed the bus was empty after arriving at the school.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

A mother suspects foul play after her daughter was found dead at the end of a school day in a van that had been parked since morning. 

Judging by the rest of the story I think she has every right to think more than being left in the van was the cause.

• Thanks 2

Parents want 2nd autopsy on their late daughter, doubting school’s explanation

E3110C2C-8D1F-48E5-B554-13AA5297E83B.jpeg

The parents of the 7-year-old schoolgirl, who died in a locked van at a school in Chon Buri’s Pan Thong district on Tuesday, petitioned the Justice Ministry today (Thursday), seeking a second autopsy to confirm the actual cause of their daughter’s death.

Methika, the victim’s mother, told the media at the Justice Ministry that she doubts the information provided to her by a representative of the school and sees inconsistencies with original autopsy report.

She said that she was told by the school that her daughter died from heat stroke, after being locked in the van from the morning until late in the afternoon, but the doctor found bruises on her left hand and legs.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/parents-want-2nd-autopsy-on-their-late-daughter-doubting-schools-explanation/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 3

13 hours ago, sometime said:

Ok a quick question to anyone who knows about these vans.

Cant the doors be opened from the inside?

Good question....cars have child safety locks fitted to rear doors and maybe school mini-buses have something similar, Perhaps lock when in motion or ignition off. 

On 9/1/2022 at 1:29 AM, JimmyJ said:

"Earlier Phan Thong, Chonburi, police major Prasert Kulabutradee had been alerted about the death of a child at a well known private school in the area."

Absolutely pathetic that the Press is afraid to name "the well known private school".

Probably something to do with the draconian defamation laws in Thailand.

Even if what you publish is correct it seems you can still be convicted if the other party shows they have suffered “damage”.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thank you for that information.  This substantiates the mothers concern and warrants action.

The poor girl did not die in the van as suspected ....   it seemed a fallacy that she would die locked in a van.

Murder investigation ....

RIP poor girl. 

I make no comment as to how she died tragic as it is, because I don’t know, but it’s no fallacy that a child couldn’t die locked in a van, through heat exhaustion.

3 hours ago, Jaybott said:

I'm reminded of my military days.  Whenever we traveled by bus, "Cattle Car", etc. upon arrival at the destination we'd get into formation and COUNT OFF.  If 76 bodies went in, 76 better come out.

Why can't these school vans do the same thing?  Doesn't have to be as extreme as a military style count off.  Why not have all the kids stand by the van and the driver or teacher count them? If 15 kids were on the van, then 15 kids should be standing by the van.

Now now that is logic, remember where you are. I suggested about 3 dead kids ago, to give them numbered armbands when boarding, like at swimming pool lockers, and hand them to the driver on exiting.. but they would only be numbered to the amount of seats, so cramming more in would not have enough numbers . Safe Trusted Thailand my ass.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Good question....cars have child safety locks fitted to rear doors and maybe school mini-buses have something similar, Perhaps lock when in motion or ignition off. 

Mini-vans should also have an emergency hammer to break glass... stowed visibly.

• Like 2

I have a sense of DeJa Vu I distinctly remember a similar story a couple of years ago where a child died in the back of a school van that had been parked up after delivering the children. What is wong with these schools?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RobU said:

I have a sense of DeJa Vu I distinctly remember a similar story a couple of years ago where a child died in the back of a school van that had been parked up after delivering the children. What is wong with these schools?

They employ rather dim drivers and do not have established procedures to guard. Although I am still not fully convinced this was simply a child who fell asleep and got locked in. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The ones on cars rear doors can only be accessed when the door is already open. 

This was the actual van and the door was a sliding one....the switch/button was quite easy to operate by the reporter...not hidden at all....I know the type you mention on car rear doors accessible only when the door is opened...on the van is was totally different and easily accessed.

5 hours ago, RobU said:

Common sense and forethought is in short supply here in LOS........

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 12:20 PM, webfact said:

Along with rescue services they found the dead body of "A" aged just 7 on the seat behind the driver.

That is pretty suspicious.  Assuming this is the standard white van, you would see the seat behind the driver very, very clearly when you shut the side door.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

That is pretty suspicious.  Assuming this is the standard white van, you would see the seat behind the driver very, very clearly when you shut the side door.

Yes, hard to believe she could have been overlooked there.  If that was where she was found, she might have moved to that area after everyone else had left and, while attempting to get out, possibly bruised herself trying to get the door open.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 2:19 PM, chickenslegs said:

^ This.

It's unbelievable that no effort is made to verify the wherebouts of a child missing from the classroom.  Yet it's a common factor in every one of these tragedies.

Our Thai homeroom teachers always follow up about absent students. And this is M3. 

I've also noticed one of the drivers checking under the seats after a recent field trip - and this was after older students who could not fit under a seat alighted from the van. I'm assuming this is happening with the small kids too.