Anyone for Venice? It’s that time when Thailand - Bangkok in particular - might disappear altogether

webfact

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Bangkok Sinking, New Orleans Sinking, Amsterdam Sinking..........yet all are still functioning quite well.    This too shall pass.

Peace

Amsterdam has a very advanced machine-like pumping system, otherwise the city wouldn't exist. This system should be investigated and see if it could be implemented in Bangkok. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

Which is what happens when cities are built near, on, or below sea level. 

I do not know what other outcome is expected when Bangkok is one metre above the Gulf of Thailand.

All it will take is a black swan event, such as the collapse of the Larsen Ice Shelf, for one metre above to become one metre below.

• Like 2

The RTP rotate their senior officers through the Chief of Police position for 2 years before they retire so as to boost their pensions.

Such a person is going to go with the flow, not make waves, not rock the boat or do anything provocative.

Under this sysyem of patronage nothing can ever change and the status quo will be maintained.

It's the same with all the Thai Government departments.

Change can only come from the top. If the RTP is corrupt it is because that's the way the senoir officers want it. The Police Commissioner is responsible and accountable for every corrupt practice by the rank and file under his command. By not doing anything he condones and supports it. By not calling the RTP into check, or making it accountable, the Thai government of the day condones the corruption (e.g. don't throw stones if you live in a glass house).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I have lived in the North of Chiang Mai Province for about eleven years and in the last couple of weeks saw flooding never experienced before.

It seems the water is now heading South a present from all of us country bumpkins.

The River Ping burst its banks in Chiang Mai around 2012 and much of the surrounding area of the city was under water, by about a meter and stretched all the way to the Loi Kroh boxing ring 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Bangkok Sinking, New Orleans Sinking, Amsterdam Sinking..........yet all are still functioning quite well.    This too shall pass.

Peace

An oistrich sticking his head into water instead of sand.

By the way ever thought of islands in the sea (inhabited, some are even seperate countries) and not only cities ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And yes, Bangkok is sinking. So what? Will anybody of us live long enough to actually have any problems with that? 

I am already a grandfather. I would have no problem but maybe my descendants will ? Why always thinking only for yourself ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How much of what you imagined when you were a teenager actually happened?

I remember somewhere in the 70th when they told us soon all the oil reserves will be gone - to mention just one example.

Try to predict what will happen in 10 years. And then try 50 years.

There is just no point in trying to predict what might happen far away in the future. 

Prediction of the future is based on models. They are only as good as the input data. When peak oil was talked about in the 70's, no-one knew the US was sitting on a bonanza of shale oil, or that Australia would become one of the world's biggest gas producers.

Focus on what is happening NOW, verified by measurement. The Larsen Ice Shelf is melting at unprecedented rates. Australia has had record interior heat cells over the past decade. Greenland has lost a significant amount of its ice cover. Iceland lost 7% of its glaciers in the last two decades. You think those trends are going to magically reverse?

• Like 2