Honda Wave Flooded

hornetsmad

Hello everyone.

Due to terrible floods in Bangkok tonight the water level kept rising on my way home and with no way to escape from it unfortunately. After a while in deep water the indicators and the horn stopped working as well as the lights that show what gear you're in.

Despite revving a lot the engine cut out and I had no choice but to restart it. I managed to get home but unfortunately the electrics still seem to be out and I just tried starting it only for it to make a strange sound.

I'll take it to a shop tomorrow but does anybody know how much this may cost or what the problem is exactly? Thanks

It is fixable for sure.

Neighbor had a 1969 Ford Galaxy 500 XL covered completely in the Dawson flood of 1979. Boat left a crease on the roof from the keel while it was 'parked'

Still on the road. Still running.

Big job tho' - motorcycle much easier !

Given its a common occurrence in Thailand during wet season, the local mom and pop bike shop will be able to fix things, and it usually doesn't cost much. Avoid the actual dealers as probably costly. Besides the electrical, its usually a good idea to drain and replace oil, petrol etc

Its surprising how resilient these small bikes can be, My neighbors bike has been completely underwater twice and back on the road next day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hornetsmad said:

I'll take it to a shop tomorrow but does anybody know how much this may cost or what the problem is exactly? Thanks

Not a big problem, leave to dry out, spray electrics with wd40 or similar, best change engine oil.

Electrics should dry out.. spray liberally with WD40, wiring, connectors, ignition switch.. everything.

Battery should be ok if it didn't short-out.

Drain and change the engine oil.

How long did you run the engine while under water.. you may have sucked water into the the air intake/carburetor and thus the engine?

The carburetor may need to be stripped and cleaned out.

The engine... you could take out the spark plug and turn the engine over to clear out any water from the cylinder.

Or take it to a motorcycle shop and they'll do it all for you.

A hot engine under water will cool rapidly and the gases inside the crankcases contract, so if the crankcase breather is beneath the surface at this point then water can get into the crankcases and mix with the oil.

Depending on how deep the water was, in your place I would do the following (much of which is already advised above)::

1. Drain & replace the oil, including cleaning the oil filter. Ensure that there is no evidence of water remaining in the engine.

2. Remove the carb float chamber and clean the inside with fresh fuel. Replace.

3. Remove the spark plug, kick the engine over with the plug removed to ensure any water is ejected, then replace the plug.

4. If the air intake went under the surface then remove and dry the air filter element, ensure that the air intake is fully dry before replacing.

5, Check that the drain hole in the silencer is not blocked so that any water will have drained out as water in the silencer could make the engine sound strange. If unsure then raise the front of the bike to let any water drain out.

6. Spray all the electrics, liberally, with WD40.

7. Give it time to dry out.

Good luck.

Edited by Homburg
puntuation.

After drying it out and spraying some WD40 on the connectors the electrics may recover.  But I'd drain the oil and replace to be sure there's no water in the crank case.

But any work on a Wave is normally very cheap - so probably better to let the local Honda dealer check it out.

Is it a carb modal or a fuel injection ?if carb modal do as Homburg said ,if it is fuel injection check the fuel pump .and the injector ,and the battery that could be dead ,if the ignition light does not come on ,horn not working battery is dead 

The air cleaner is under the headlight and is a paper element, if that got wet the engine will not run right .

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Leo Benett said:

I think you should look at a detail guide to fix your carburetor flooding problem. Otherwise, you can't fix it with the help of some random discussions online. There are actually a lot of reasons for a motorcycle carburetor to flood and without enough knowledge, you might make things look worse. So, I highly recommend you follow this guide: Fixing a Flooded Motorcycle Carburetor.

Read it and let me know if you did find a solution ????

Whilst these guides can be very useful if your bike has a carb. our OP is talking about flooding as in lots of rain not fuel flooding ????