Indian man agrees to pay 200k baht to dance teacher over inappropriate touch on Pattaya Walking Street

webfact

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I would say that the setting in which the offense occurred should be taken into consideration when assessing damages.

If a person knowingly takes a walk at 3 am in an internationally famous red-light district where freelance sex workers:

(1) ply their trade openly on the street;

(2) frequently exchange non-consensual physical and sexual contact with potential customers;

(3) often dress in everyday street attire; and

(4) where foreign tourists are known to drink to excess, and

(5) at a time when their inebriation is likely to be at it's peak,

then the standards of behavior in that setting should be considered when assessing damages and penalties. If his behavior might otherwise have been deemed acceptable had the woman been a sex worker, the fact that the victim voluntarily placed herself in that environment should be considered when assessing damages.

The key is whether what he did would have been acceptable behavior had the victim been a sex worker. While a sex worker might have tolerated a pat on the bottom, few would have found an intrusive genital groping to be acceptable, and obviously anything more aggressive or intrusive would be universally unacceptable.

Without knowing the full nature of the assault, it is hard to say whether 200K damages is justified. For the record I'm NOT saying she didn't have a right to be there, or that she shouldn't have filed charges. I'm merely saying that the setting where the assault took place and the victim's willingness to put herself in that setting needs to be taken into consideration when assessing damages.

I think that now Indian men are coming here in large numbers, it's wise to have a large deterrent and 200,000 baht is just that. They don't like parting with their brass.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Great article Tanakorn Panyadee, let's make these women aware that they can report these offenders. 

Should be more of these women come forward and report these offenders. 

I am quite sure that now the going rate is an extortionate 200,000 the floodgates will open?????

3 hours ago, BangersBob said:

I lived and worked in India for 5 years, and what I learned was:

Delhi is known as 'The rape capital of the world'

Women cannot walk alone safely after dark

Trains have to have 'Women Only' carriages to avoid harassment by male commuters

The term for Sexual Harassment is 'Eve Teasing'

Senior judges publicly blame women for being raped because they wore provacative clothing

And India is a key countries for Thai tourism.

I don't blame the victim, but I do blame the Thai Tourist Authority.

And I bet the guy was totally shocked when a woman made a formal complaint about his behaviour.  At least the news coverage about the fine may help to drag Indian males a bit nearer to the 21st Century.

Totally agree with everything you have said.

However when this news hits the streets and women now know the going rate for "inappropriate touching" is an extortionate 200,000, won't it be open to some sort of scam?

2 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Would be interested to know what this man is alleged to have done as must have been very serious to attract a settlement figure of Bht 200000 and who will actually receive this money 

Yes the report of "inappropriate touching" could mean anything?

The BIB will no doubt retain a portion of the 200,000 as a negotiation rich fee.

I wonder will the rich Indian guy get a receipt?

The bar girls will be wondering where they went wrong working for a few baht and a woman hits the jackpot getting 200,000 baht for being groped ???? 

Which is I must say is excessive guy being taken to the cleaners ????

Guys  lesson learned  keep your hands in your pockets when you have

Had a few drinks walking the street 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

she is walking on a public street... and attacked from and in the behind... I don't think she needs to prove she is not a sex worker nor do I think he should attack a sex worker in unwanted fashion either... her butt ain't a free grab... I think 200,000 is fair game - - I just don't know of a situation where it is more acceptable to molest someone... 

In a milieu such as Walking Street at 3 AM. there is a presumption that you are there for a purpose: to either obtain or provide sexual services. Behavioral norms are suspended and things are tolerated by both men and women which would be deemed completely unacceptable in any other setting.

As I said in my earlier post, that didn't give the Indian man the right to do what he did, and the woman had every right to file charges, but I think the fact that the incident occurred in a venue where sexual propriety norms are often suspended ought to be taken into consideration when assessing damages and penalties.

I made these points in my earlier post, but your partial quote of my post left this explanation out. As the quote function automatically truncates posts, I would appreciate if you would quote my entire post in the future rather than just quoting the sentences you wish to address. Perhaps it was inadvertent, but I think your partial quote distorted what I said in my original post.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Sad to see all the victim blamers. Pattaya is a tourist city, as much as people who come for other reasons don't think so. Walking Street is a major tourist attraction and it's open late. Not every single women walking there at 3AM or any time is a prostitute and even the ones that are, you can't just grope them all freely. Those saying it's a setup, there's CCTV evidence of what he did and he seemed more than willing from the start to just pay for everything to go away rather than any protests about a setup or even attempts to deny what he did after he was caught.

Agree with your sentiment, but I think the set up is between the "victim" and the BIB? We still don't have details of what he did, just he inappropriately touched her, which could mean anything?

The Indian guy definitely is in the wrong here and admits he was drunk, which is no excuse, but 200, 000 baht, com'n man they saw this guy coming and he still gets charged?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

In a milieu such as Walking Street at 3 AM. there is a presumption that you are there for a purpose: to either obtain or provide sexual services. Behavioral norms are suspended and things are tolerated by both men and women which would be deemed completely unacceptable in any other setting.

As I said in my earlier post, that didn't give the Indian man the right to do what he did, and the woman had every right to file charges, but I think the fact that the incident occurred in a venue where sexual propriety norms are often suspended ought to be taken into consideration when assessing damages and penalties.

I made these points in my earlier post, but your partial quote of my post left this explanation out. As the quote function automatically truncates posts, I would appreciate if you would quote my entire post in the future rather than just quoting the sentences you wish to address. Perhaps it was inadvertent, but I think your partial quote distorted what I said in my original post.

I did quote the part I wanted to address... it was done just to be more concise. I agreed with most of what you said... and I don't agree that you can make that assumption about walking down the most famous street in town. You just don't molest people you don't know - anywhere, anytime... 

Does this mean that the #metoo movement has finally arrived in Thailand?????

I remember when Thai girls wouldn't even understand when I tried to explain the concept of sexual harassment to them. I've always been against foreigners behaving like pigs in Thailand and groping bar girls. But #metoo in Thailand won't end well. Prepare to see this scenario put into practise as a new tourist scam. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nope....  his nationality is irrelevant with regards to a person going out into an area well known for its 'hedonistic and wild vibe’ and being shocked when people behave poorly.

Perhaps it is because the guy was Indian that the lady took so much affront...  

Irrelevant perhaps, it should not have happened anyway.

But... how ‘severe’ was the inappropriate touch?... a slap on the backside or a full on motorboating !!!

200,000 baht is extortionate... But.. if it happened to my Wife...  hmmm.. Who am I kidding?, my Wife would never been seen dead in an area like that...  Why?... because this is the sort of thing that can happen. 

The outstanding question remains: ‘what was the inappropriate touch’  ???? 

Full on motorboating?  ... it is what please lol?  

At 3am, Ashok, a highly respected noodle seller from Delhi walked down walking street.
He dressed up to his best:

25 baht LADIDAS sandals 

55 baht FLUCCI t-shirt

110 baht GARMANI jeans

and

his 175,000 baht gold necklace.
He wondered up and down walking street, flashing his necklace, the one he saved 20 years for.
He even had it insured for 200k

Nobody watched at him.
He got so desperate, approached "lucky" from behind and kindly asked her if she would be interested in his "free" jewellery.
She didn't gave him the respect he deserved.
He touched her back site and made a last attempt to convince her to take the "free" gift.

To his disappointment, instead of cashing in a 200k insurance payback, he has to pay out 200k

Lesson learned and Ashok promised to spread the word to his fellow indian friends.

Next time I go for a massage and after +- 45 minutes, she whispers "massassss" and touches already my "sosetch", I go straight to the next police station and file a report.
Worth at least 300k

Finally, days of teaching for 15k are over.
2 massages a week and I life the life of a Bitcoin trillionaire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

His ability to settle the claim for 200K seriously undermines the myth that Indian tourists are all super low budget, now doesn't it?

He borrowed from his friends. 800 of them. They were all in the same plane and share 25 rooms at the same hotel.