Indian man agrees to pay 200k baht to dance teacher over inappropriate touch on Pattaya Walking Street

webfact

17 hours ago, biggles45 said:

I wonder just how much of the 200k this woman will receive and how much of it will be 'diverted' to other people. I recall a friend receiving a 'discounted' amount after some uniformed personnel negotiated a settlement for him.! 

Of course it will be split between her and the police who negotiated it.... probably 50:50

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Funny thing is he could have gone to one of the groping agogos, bought a lady drink 180 baht + his drink 90 baht, total 270 baht vs 200,000 baht, will they learn?

Or even saved a few more baht by using a Gentleman's Club (a misnomer if ever)......... but it will be sad day  if they fill those places up.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:26 AM, webfact said:

Pattaya — An Indian man agreed to pay a Thai dance teacher 200,000 baht over an inappropriate touch on Pattaya Walking Street yesterday night, but police said he would still get charged as well.

Oh my word. Wildly extorted, made famous, Google-able for posterity and still facing charges? I wouldn't pay if I were him. The goal of that charge threat is to extract more money. 

Sit it out, then deport. Not the end of the world. Greedy "victim" gets nothing. He who laughs last laughs loudest. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

all of what you said is irrelevant ....

the guy was set up  !!     period  ... !

I totally agree he was set up!

But without all the backup information, nobody would know, ergo it is relevant!☺️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

Oh my word. Wildly extorted, made famous, Google-able for posterity and still facing charges? I wouldn't pay if I were him. The goal of that charge threat is to extract more money. 

Sit it out, then deport. Not the end of the world. Greedy "victim" gets nothing. He who laughs last laughs loudest. 

I suspect when he was taken to the police station, he was threatened with some charges, or maybe jail time, who knows? Nobody wants to go and sit in a Thai jail! If he was a first time tourist it would not be difficult to scare the <deleted> out of him?

He was given a very expensive way out, with no jail time, which he obviously took.

Negotiations in Thai between the "victim" and the BIB must have taken place to come up with the extortionate amount of 200,000 baht?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 4:00 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Is this something that happens regularly ????

I imagine 200,000 baht is a good incentive ... there will be more... 

...  the me too-hundred thousand baht movement... 

Exactly what I was thinking. The making of a new scam. Dance teacher walking down Walking street at 4:00AM when all the freelancers are still lingering around. Quick and easy life changing money. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JeffinChonburi said:

Exactly what I was thinking. The making of a new scam. Dance teacher walking down Walking street at 4:00AM when all the freelancers are still lingering around. Quick and easy life changing money. 

Not sure I would call it a new scam...... the police getting involved in complaints and negotiating compensation has been going on for many years. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 1:54 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The outstanding question remains: ‘what was the inappropriate touch’  ???? 

I think it's calked 'bauk' in india. it's common for a stag group of guys to get a single female and all do her as a group. it even occurs in public.

have you been on beach road where they are walking as a group and kind of surround one lady and linger? it looks weird like there are too many guys there, very unlike a westerner who approaches one on one. happens in massage places also. there is always a group of guys who kind of surround one lady.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:54 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Nope....  his nationality is irrelevant with regards to a person going out into an area well known for its 'hedonistic and wild vibe’ and being shocked when people behave poorly.

Perhaps it is because the guy was Indian that the lady took so much affront...  

Irrelevant perhaps, it should not have happened anyway.

But... how ‘severe’ was the inappropriate touch?... a slap on the backside or a full on motorboating !!!

200,000 baht is extortionate... But.. if it happened to my Wife...  hmmm.. Who am I kidding?, my Wife would never been seen dead in an area like that...  Why?... because this is the sort of thing that can happen. 

The outstanding question remains: ‘what was the inappropriate touch’  ???? 

My wife would have punched him after he inappropriately touched her. 

On 9/8/2022 at 4:08 AM, richard_smith237 said:

You've never walked down walking street or other ‘red light areas’ of Pattaya and been ‘groped’ by Ladyboys and bar-girls ??? - its difficult to avoid - and no, I don’t like it, but it comes with he territory ?

So..  the next foreigner who walks down Walking street and gets their crotch grabbed by a ladyboy, can they report it and get 200,000 baht ???

You are not allowed to touch a member of the master race.

Foreigners are fair game however.

On 9/8/2022 at 4:58 AM, FarangFB said:

how the hell one grope is worth 200k in damages while the life of someone burned to death due to multiple negligent actions is worth 50k?

Where has it been stated that "the life of a person burned to death is worth B50k"?     The Indian in Pattaya negotiated the agreed B200k compensation.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 6:12 AM, ikke1959 said:

I am wondering how they calculated this amount of money ... 200k is very overpaid or is it because it is a foreigner??

It's because her attacker agreed to pay the negotiated  compensation.     Perhaps he didn't find the prospect of prison that attractive, given an alternative, and didn't want to risk trying to negotiate it down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, connda said:

A Thai could buy off the victim and get the charges dropped, but?
Not a foreigner and especially not kon keark.

But isn't that basically what the Indian did? Police helped negotiate the amount of settlement. The "chaos" charge is trivial and isn't an offense against the victim but civil order. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, tomyami said:

Who knows if she does this `on a regular and goes with suitable customers.

then she is not there as a civi but how can a tourist dispute police are judge and jury with a pay day

Two wrong doesn't make it right TIT

might dent a certain market

He probably  admitted it before he knew the fine and probably there were witnesses. He didnt realise what is 'eve teasing' in Indian is sexual assault in the rest of the world! Good on the girl for defending her rights.  I hope he learned his lesson. NO MEANS NO!!!!!

On 9/11/2022 at 3:47 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

You are not allowed to touch a member of the master race.

Foreigners are fair game however.

Sexually asaulting a girl is not comparable to the LBs larking around but if you a man ? feel you have been assaulted you could report it to the police and get the LB put in prison overnight. That is your right. Regarding the 'master race' comment which is both tateless and innacurate. Thais are usually reserved and humble its the farang who behave like an entitled master race.

Edited by Dominus

On 9/11/2022 at 7:41 AM, BigStar said:

But isn't that basically what the Indian did? Police helped negotiate the amount of settlement. The "chaos" charge is trivial and isn't an offense against the victim but civil order. 

That is precisely what happened.

8 hours ago, Dominus said:

He probably  admitted it before he knew the fine and probably there were witnesses. He didnt realise what is 'eve teasing' in Indian is sexual assault in the rest of the world! Good on the girl for defending her rights.  I hope he learned his lesson. NO MEANS NO!!!!!

Well I don't know that he actually asked her first, but a more general statement might be 'look but don't touch', or 'they aren't all working girls'......

Dance class  is'nt earning as much as it used to,  students are far and few between,  gotta find a  new way of earning money must come into it too, and fancy letting the police do the financial  negotiating !!!

Edited by actonion
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Do you know many Thais outside of the bars? 

In my 33 year experience here humble and reserved are not words I would use to describe them.

Licentious and avaricious would be more appropriate.

I feel differently... the ones outside the bar areas and cities etc are generally polite and yes, humble may be true.... 

I have found sadly that the ones hanging around the lights of say Pattaya are less appealing, with attitude and impolite behaviour... males usually, security, WIN drivers, hawkers.  But be polite with them and things go okay.