Airline boss pleads with government to delay the Thailand Tourism Fee (TTF) due later this year

webfact

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

He'd be better advised to carry through on the thousands of outstanding refunds owed by Air Asia, than criticising the government for a 300 THB levy.

Yes, Air Asia charged me twice for the same ticket, and it was a nightmare trying to get a refund.

In the end, I gave up after many frustrating hours trying to resolve the issue, and I wonder how many travellers in a similar position do exactly the same? There must be millions of baht outstanding in refunds - especially due to cancelled flights etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

The next step will be trying to charge as people leave. 

I think it was 50 baht the last time they did this.

I'm old enough to remember the 500 Baht departure fee I had to pay in cash each time I took the plane out of Thailand.
I think it's included in the ticket now (not 100% sure as I haven't boarded a plane for several years), so people don't notice.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SymS said:

I'm old enough to remember the 500 Baht departure fee I had to pay in cash each time I took the plane out of Thailand.
I think it's included in the ticket now (not 100% sure as I haven't boarded a plane for several years), so people don't notice.

My $150 ticket is $60 flight, 90 taxes.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Key consideration now according to Tony Fernandes is the momentum of growing numbers which generates income for the economy including taxes for the government. Mr Fernandes felt that the fee, at this time, may hinder efforts to attract more visitors and to establish more flight links with Thailand

I wish more like him would speak out.. 

Thailand gouges tourists at every opportunity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

No it was 500 baht and a huge hassle as you had to pay it at the airport.  I don't know why they just don't make the departure tax 800 baht and just forget about his nonsense of charging 300 baht incoming fee.

To all of you who think that the 300 baht will go to paying hospital fees of tourists I suggest you do some digging as to the proposed breakdown of the 300 baht.  The vast majority is allocated to improving tourist attractions, in other words going into the pockets of political pigs and government plebs.  A mere several baht is allocated towards a fund to pay for medical fees which will no doubt be stolen by the aforementioned creeps.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Wonder if they would drop it if ALL countries said they would now penalise ALL Travelling thais 300 baht per trip !

The EU/ Schengen zone is soon to introduce pre travel online registration, like the US do, requiring some personal details to be given for visa exempt tourists holding  non EU passports at a fee of €7. The registration will be valid for 3 years and permits multiple entries. So this will now include all Brits following brexit unless they are legally EU resident for which proof is required at the border.

Thais have never been visa exempt for the Schengen zone (nor for the UK ) so will not need to do this but do need to obtain, in Thailand before travel, a tourist visa usually valid 1 year

giving them up to a 90 day trip or multiple lesser trips not exceeding 90 in 180 days ( yes it's complicated, been there done that for my wife) to any and all Schengen zone countries ( 6 months in the UK I believe but I think only single entry).  Alot more tedious and more costly than than the proposed 300 baht unless multiple entries involved.

There are indications that the UK is also going to do this but obviously won't until the government have milked the " it's so unfair of the EU, we never had to do this before" for all it's worth backed by their press mouthpieces  screaming headlines as they have done this summer over delays and chaos at ports, especially Dover and Folkestone, and airports caused by additional checks and passport stamping by French border officers.

I'm old enough to remember what it was like before the UK became an EU member state which is how it is again now complete with blue/ black passports again, only with far more travellers than back then and far more Brits with holiday homes in the EU. As yet no currency exchange controls as there were back then but with the £ tumbling down even further now who knows.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

There was an article in a local paper not long ago showing what a messy bossiness it will be to collect the 300 baht as airlines are not keen to add it to the cost of the tickets and only foreigners will have to pay as Thais will be exempt, and how an incoming tourist suppose to have 300 baht with them and many other issues including how to collect the fee from people who crosses borders or arrivals by ships and boats, it will be interesting to see how another moronic idea will develop...

Some of us were around, what maybe 2 decades ago, when there was a 500 baht exit fee collected at the airport. The process was quite straightforward. The problem is more about what happens to the money afterwards.

Edited by SheungWan

I am surprised, that an airline professional, executive and CEO is serious about this issue. Even if they would go ahead and try to collect the fee, there are some obstacles on the way to glory:

• if collected from passengers directly upon arrival, imagine the mess, overcrowded arrival hall space, linguistic challenges apart from X different currencies or credit card operation and staff force needed to handle the horn of plenty. 
  • if collected through airlines, the carriers would have to produce a passenger list separating Thais from non-Thais. Technically speaking, non-Thais would have to pay those THB 300 (in which customer board point currency at what forex rate?); no airline reservation system is geared for a surcharge (or discount) by nationality - yet. I also wonder, what the boys at IATA/ICAO in Montreal have to say to this. 
  • if collected through airlines it only works, if all passengers are levied with the same fee, i.e. including Thais. This is already happening with airport taxes on departure, which never disappeared as a fee. Contrary from a direct collection from passengers as separate payment at check-in it is today an integrated element of an air ticket with departure Thailand these days.

To me it is just yet another completely derailed idea of one of those countless experts with which Thailand is blessed. Apart from an almost impossible task to charge only non-Thais it also communicates very clearly that the government is only interested in the rip-off.

Last not least, be realistic; there will not be any high season splurging Caucasian geese laying forex golden eggs this winter for sure. Europe is in the doldrums for the foreseeable future due to a massive cave-in of economy related to the American-Russian proxy war in Ukraine.
The Indians share a can of Fanta among three of them at the doorsteps of a 7/11 and the Arabs are also not arriving in droves. The Russians are having other fish to fry domestically, so go figure who is left? Thailand has never been able nor will be able in the future to benefit of the top cream of tourism cake, that is left to true professional destinations with a X-fold revenue due to service, service, service. So Thailand is stirring the bottom of the tourism drum which results in the necessity of handling tourists groups; the ratio might be dealing with 15 low-/middle class visitor compared to one high-income earner. No rocket science ???? Pattaya was - in the past - the best example of not being able to handle larger group traffic; the nightly traffic jams all over the place were proof enough. Try to imagine, if ten times the numbers of 2018 would arrive ......... 

Fire the whole lot of daydreamers in the tourism ministry and the tourism authority of this country; they must be smoking, seriously, the best weed on a daily basis as no expert can make any common sense of what comes out of these offices ???? 

5 hours ago, smedly said:

This fee matters not a jot, what is important is the Thai authorities remember excatly what it was for and stop bitching about unpaid emergency hospital rip offs, it is a huge ammount of money when measured against its supposed purpose, most tourists that get injured here - it is generally not their fault - Thailand is a dangerous place and with poor enforcement of standards  including safety - many foreigners become victims caught up in those dangers - whether it is in transport/roads or building safety .........................not their fault

sorry mate do you really believe they will use it for hospital bills or increasing safety in tourism..this cash is Destined for the pockets of the greedy not the needy  as all is here ..

6 hours ago, NE1 said:

It was 300 baht back in my early days (late 1990's) - airport tax on departure!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, marcusb said:

With honest people in charge of the fund I would support this 100%.  It would generate significant funds for worthwhile projects and help those who have suffered an accident. 
But.... 

But if you already have insurance , why should you pay for somebody who hasn't bothered .

7 hours ago, smedly said:

This fee matters not a jot, what is important is the Thai authorities remember excatly what it was for and stop bitching about unpaid emergency hospital rip offs, it is a huge ammount of money when measured against its supposed purpose, most tourists that get injured here - it is generally not their fault - Thailand is a dangerous place and with poor enforcement of standards  including safety - many foreigners become victims caught up in those dangers - whether it is in transport/roads or building safety .........................not their fault

Agreed....    Lets see what happens when the first Tourist is injured - GoFund me ???

Realistically, most people will not notice the 500 baht on top of their flight fee. 

The reporting of ‘charging tourists more’ is does not provide very positive optics.

It just looks greedy and doesn’t send a good message. 

And realistically - how good is the 500 baht cover anyway. 

I fly in and out of Thailand about 10 times per year - so thats 5000 baht.... and nowhere near close to the cost of medical insurance cover I actually carry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I am surprised, that an airline professional, executive and CEO is serious about this issue. Even if they would go ahead and try to collect the fee, there are some obstacles on the way to glory:

• if collected from passengers directly upon arrival, imagine the mess, overcrowded arrival hall space, linguistic challenges apart from X different currencies or credit card operation and staff force needed to handle the horn of plenty. 
  • if collected through airlines, the carriers would have to produce a passenger list separating Thais from non-Thais. Technically speaking, non-Thais would have to pay those THB 300 (in which customer board point currency at what forex rate?); no airline reservation system is geared for a surcharge (or discount) by nationality - yet. I also wonder, what the boys at IATA/ICAO in Montreal have to say to this. 
  • if collected through airlines it only works, if all passengers are levied with the same fee, i.e. including Thais. This is already happening with airport taxes on departure, which never disappeared as a fee. Contrary from a direct collection from passengers as separate payment at check-in it is today an integrated element of an air ticket with departure Thailand these days.

To me it is just yet another completely derailed idea of one of those countless experts with which Thailand is blessed. Apart from an almost impossible task to charge only non-Thais it also communicates very clearly that the government is only interested in the rip-off.

Last not least, be realistic; there will not be any high season splurging Caucasian geese laying forex golden eggs this winter for sure. Europe is in the doldrums for the foreseeable future due to a massive cave-in of economy related to the American-Russian proxy war in Ukraine.
The Indians share a can of Fanta among three of them at the doorsteps of a 7/11 and the Arabs are also not arriving in droves. The Russians are having other fish to fry domestically, so go figure who is left? Thailand has never been able nor will be able in the future to benefit of the top cream of tourism cake, that is left to true professional destinations with a X-fold revenue due to service, service, service. So Thailand is stirring the bottom of the tourism drum which results in the necessity of handling tourists groups; the ratio might be dealing with 15 low-/middle class visitor compared to one high-income earner. No rocket science ???? Pattaya was - in the past - the best example of not being able to handle larger group traffic; the nightly traffic jams all over the place were proof enough. Try to imagine, if ten times the numbers of 2018 would arrive ......... 

Fire the whole lot of daydreamers in the tourism ministry and the tourism authority of this country; they must be smoking, seriously, the best weed on a daily basis as no expert can make any common sense of what comes out of these offices ???? 

Simple really

Enter passport on booking site

300 bht extra farang passport

Simple computer code

Not complex at all

Ceo whining cause he wants to advertise the lowest fares

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

But if you already have insurance , why should you pay for somebody who hasn't bothered .

I guess the same reason I worked all my life and paid taxes for people who didn't bother.  ???? 
I was leaning more towards money into tourism infrastructure. Moot point really as the second word of my post said "honest" and that's not going to happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A great deal of the cost on any ticket is taxes.... 

These go towards landing fees, airport tax, fuel surcharges and of course tax to the government. 

leaving my home city, transfer in Vancouver, the "extras" were well over $50 CDN

The 300 baht fee is not a deterrence, it’s nothing. Most people wouldn’t even notice it if it was introduced quietly.

The real deterrence to visiting Thailand right now is a PCR test requirement for the unvaccinated, which can incur a much higher level of expenses and cause stress incompatible with holiday mood if it comes positive even though no symptoms. Vietnam has no such bs requirement and looks competitive right now.

Edited by AnotherFarang8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

The 300 baht fee is not a deterrence, it’s nothing. Most people wouldn’t even notice it if it was introduced quietly.

The real deterrence to visiting Thailand right now is a PCR test requirement for the unvaccinated, which can incur a much higher level of expenses and cause stress incompatible with holiday mood if it comes positive even though no symptoms. Vietnam has no such bs requirement and looks competitive right now.

80% or more westerners would be vaccinated