What Would You Do If You Had More Money

KIngsofisaan

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

Totally agree. I have no sympathy for people who have money but are still bored. Honestly it's not a case of them being bored, it's simply a case of them being boring.

There's a whole world off opportunities that having more money affords people. There's no need to be doing the "same <deleted>". If you've got money, you've got a great big bunch of keys to open a whole load of doorways. If you really can't think of anything to do with your money then give it to me, or hotandsticky; we'll do a far better job with it! ????

????

I have added you to my relatively short list of ASEAN NOW members who I might like to go and have a drink with ????. Not because you happened to agree with me, but because you evidence a broadened mind in your posts.

29 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Totally agree. I have no sympathy for people who have money but are still bored. Honestly it's not a case of them being bored, it's simply a case of them being boring.

There's a whole world off opportunities that having more money affords people. There's no need to be doing the "same <deleted>". If you've got money, you've got a great big bunch of keys to open a whole load of doorways. If you really can't think of anything to do with your money then give it to me, or hotandsticky; we'll do a far better job with it! ????

And do you think you are happier if you walk through as many doorways as possible?

There are too many examples of lottery winners who changed their life and walked through all those open doorways - only to find out that this didn't make them long term happier.

Obviously some changes from time to time are fine. But I would be careful with too many changes too fast.

On 9/13/2022 at 7:38 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Over the years I met many US millionaires, and I am sure some of them had 10th of millions and houses, cars, maybe boats, etc. Not one of them gave me the impression that he was somehow happier than other people who I know.

I.e. one guy had a couple of luxury cars. He just sold the Hummer and bought a Ferrari, after buying and selling lots of other cars over the years. And then? I guess he used the Ferrari a couple of times until he was bored again and then he bought again another car. Was he super happy? At least I didn't get that impression. 

Do they all live in Thailand now ?

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And do you think you are happier if you walk through as many doorways as possible?

There are too many examples of lottery winners who changed their life and walked through all those open doorways - only to find out that this didn't make them long term happier.

Obviously some changes from time to time are fine. But I would be careful with too many changes too fast.

I think you missed the point -  or at least the point that I picked up……

Those multiple doorways require the person, with those options, to have the wit to make appropriate choices. Such a person would not pass through “ALL those open doorways “.

Just one new doorway with a surge of money, and no wit, can be a doorway too many. 

There are many more things that I could do because I have the wherewithal to do so. I don’t; I take time to choose which, if any, open doorway. If I am fundamentally happy/content with my life, why would I want to make so many changes?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

What opportunities?

Considering I'm mid-60s and only have the physical ability to walk 5Km in one go without risking medical problems. Most of the posters on this forum probably don't even have that endurance any more.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

What opportunities?

Considering I'm mid-60s and only have the physical ability to walk 5Km in one go without risking medical problems.

Not everything has to be physical, or even for your own benefit.

Learn a craft or instrument, renovate your home, start a charitable project for those less well off than you, oversee the building of a man cave, learn to cook and prepare some expensive exotic foods that aren't otherwise available where you live, study a subject that's of interest to you, embark on a vanity and eco-friendly project and have a 100ft statue of yourself erected in a small solar power covered templet in your garden...

Those are just from the top of my head. And anybody who isn't physically impared have even more choices available.

Admittedly if you're retired you can do some of those things without needing extra money. But for those of us who still have to earn our money, additional income can of course reduce the amount of time we spend working and therefore dedicating more time to undertaking such activities.

• Love It 1

30 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Not everything has to be physical, or even for your own benefit.

Learn a craft or instrument, renovate your home, start a charitable project for those less well off than you, oversee the building of a man cave, learn to cook and prepare some expensive exotic foods that aren't otherwise available where you live, study a subject that's of interest to you, embark on a vanity and eco-friendly project and have a 100ft statue of yourself erected in a small solar power covered templet in your garden...

Those are just from the top of my head. And anybody who isn't physically impared have even more choices available.

Admittedly if you're retired you can do some of those things without needing extra money. But for those of us who still have to earn our money, additional income can of course reduce the amount of time we spend working and therefore dedicating more time to undertaking such activities.

Agree, as you'll need things to fill your time in anyway once retired.

Fresh market & home cooking is great hobby, and if fairly good at it, damn good eating is your reward, at the same or usually cheaper, for much better than any restaurant can offer.

Aside from that, I went with photography, and sideline of that, drones.  Neither require much physical exertion, unless I crash & have to go find the drone.   Wife is better at that anyway.  Much easier now as they have GPS.

Photography, and the car is the best 'wildlife blind' you can have, as they are used to it.  Can drive 25 meters up to them, but can't get 50 meter near them if walking.   I've had to zoom way back, I was so close I couldn't fit them in the viewfinder sometimes.

Not for everyone, but if really wanting to have a rewarding retirement, take in a village orphan.  Doesn't get any better, but ... not for everyone & requires 100% dedication, or seriously, DON'T bother.   Doesn't mean you can help out part time, weekends.  Probably depends on past kids of your own, as I never, so was best thing ever for me, since now having the time & money.

Give woodworking a pass, (termites) and a past hobby.  Next up for me,  steelwork, and learn welding.  Have 1/4 rai garden to play with.  Maybe make 'squirrel proof', little fk'ers keep eating my figs.

Need to get out & about, and a bit freer than a car ... ebike, as I turned my Schwinn into an ebike, and it's great fun to ride/motor around on.  Get tired of pedaling, use pedal assist, when tired of that, just use full electric.  Or DECO e-motorcycle, start at <40k, and great fun, if not living in metro area.

Options abound ... just need to start.

ENJOY

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

A post in violation of the following forum rule has been removed:

22. You will not discuss methods of bypassing or blocking advertisements on ASEAN NOW, other websites or circumventing any censorship of the internet or other communications by lawful authorities.

On 9/17/2022 at 7:15 PM, Skallywag said:

Everything I mentioned was about spending to better society, while most other BM's mention "toys" "products" they would like for themselves. 

Yes I do receive pleasure and enjoyment from short times, but in my mind it is more about supporting locals in their business endevours. 5555  

Good for you.

However, I spent 24 years working for the benefit of people and getting paid sod all to do so. Was it worth it- NO.

Given the chance to go back I'd do something that made me rich and let someone else do the looking after people for sod all.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good for you.

However, I spent 24 years working for the benefit of people and getting paid sod all to do so. Was it worth it- NO.

Given the chance to go back I'd do something that made me rich and let someone else do the looking after people for sod all.

And you would be worse off for it, because money will never give you the same self-righteousness as bitter resentments, no matter how ill-founded.

Edited by StreetCowboy

On 9/17/2022 at 4:03 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are 99% more that never won the lottery that walked through a lot of happy doors as well.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:56 PM, BritManToo said:

What opportunities?

Considering I'm mid-60s and only have the physical ability to walk 5Km in one go without risking medical problems. Most of the posters on this forum probably don't even have that endurance any more.

My dad is 78. Walks 20km. 65yo isnt old. No reason you cannot walk 10km unless serious injuries.

Change your mindset.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 6:03 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Have they been to Mae Sariang to try Beef Khao Soi?

5 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

And you would be worse off for it, because money will never give you the same self-righteousness as bitter resentments, no matter how ill-founded.

LOL. If I had money I'd be waking up next to a beautiful woman in a nice cabin on a beautiful beach in LOS. I wake up alone in a <deleted>  because that's all I can afford.

I'd take the money over caring about other people in a heartbeat, if I could go back 40 years.

4 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

My dad is 78. Walks 20km. 65yo isnt old. No reason you cannot walk 10km unless serious injuries.

Change your mindset.

Agree that 65 isn't the end, unless unlucky.

I'm older than than now and can still do stuff that's physically hard, but it takes a LOT longer than when I was 10 years younger.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The "problem" for lottery winners is that they have suddenly a lot more money than previously.

That is a huge difference from people who over the time of their life accumulated more and more money.

It seems having suddenly a lot more money makes life decisions difficult for many people. 

Leave 90% in bank

Buy nothing but a plane ticket. Have fun.

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Leave 90% in bank

Buy nothing but a plane ticket. Have fun.

Why? I'm not going to be around long enough to leave it in the bank, so I'd leave 10% in the bank, buy a villa in one of those retirement places in case I don't die, and have a massive spend up with a bevy of lovelies to make me happy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why? I'm not going to be around long enough to leave it in the bank, so I'd leave 10% in the bank, buy a villa in one of those retirement places in case I don't die, and have a massive spend up with a bevy of lovelies to make me happy.

Dont need millions to have fun

I have fun on 2000 baht a day

Edited by Sparktrader