Making new passport at US embassy and transferring existing visa stamps

I would like to get a new US passport (I'm running out of blank pages for stamps) from the US embassy and have my visa and extension stamps transferred. What is the current procedure to get this done? I thought I read in this forum that a letter is needed to have the stamps transferred. I'm returning to the US next month, so would it be easier to get a new passport in the US and when I return and have the stamps transferred? I'm have a non-immigrant "O" visa with a current marriage extension. Thanks

Thanks for this topic, will follow as I will have to do this in a year or so.

You do get your old passport back you know.  I assumed the only stamp from my old passport that I would need is the page with the original Non-Imm-O stamp?  

90 day reports and TM6 are just papers stapled in

If you enter the country using your new passport a letter from the embassy is not required to have you stamps transferred.

When entering the country you would show both passports to your re-entry permit in the old one.

If you apply at the US embassy it is done by mail and takes 2 to 3 weeks to get new one.

They will send the letter for immigration with the new and old passport.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

You do get your old passport back you know.  I assumed the only stamp from my old passport that I would need is the page with the original Non-Imm-O stamp? 

You will also need a copy of your most recent extension of stay stamp and entry stamp. Some offices will want a copy of every page that has a visa or stamp for Thailand on it.

• Thanks 1

You may not have enough time to get a new PP here if you are leaving next month. If you are able to do it here, you'll receive a letter from embassy or a stamp in the old PP regarding the change of PP. Bring your new and old PP to immigration with copies of pages in both, fill out a 'transfer of stamps' form. Immigration will transfer your extension to the new PP if you are leaving the country, if not leaving they prefer to do it at the renewal extension time, I was quoted this by an IO at CW last year. 

1 hour ago, bronzedude said:

I'm returning to the US next month, so would it be easier to get a new passport in the US and when I return and have the stamps transferred? I'm have a non-immigrant "O" visa with a current marriage extension. Thanks

Is that early next month, middle or late? From monitoring reports here in the forum the mail-in/mail-back process of doing a passport renewal with the embassy has been taking two-three weeks. That's just from recall, you can search for detailed accounts.

That said, from news reports in the past year it is taking quite some time for passport renewals in the U.S., in most cases months. I believe the State department has even announced that passport renewals are jammed up and advising people to expect lengthy delays in getting their renewed passport.

When your passport is renewed by the embassy here, a letter will be included with your new passport to be used at Thai immigration. That letter will allow the transfer of all relevant info from the old passport to the new one. Take both passports and the letter to the Immigration office and they will transfer the stamps. Pretty easy and not time-consuming.

When I received my renewed passport (you get both the new and old passports returned in the mail) I went to Immigration the next day, got it done and over quick. 

Edited by rwilem
Spell

How long does it take to get a passport?

"As of July 2022, the processing times given by the U.S. Department of State were eight to 11 weeks. The processing time of a passport starts as soon as it’s received by a center or agency, not the day it’s sent in or applied on."

That's from a USA Today article, dated July 15, 2022.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2022/07/15/how-long-to-get-passport/7779296001/

Edited by rwilem
Spell

Thanks for all the comments. I have to travel back and forth to the US for medical reasons, So I'll also be travelling back in December or January which means I can have the PP processed here in Thailand. Do I have to mail the old passport to the embassy or take it there in person? Also, how do I pay application fee?

11 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

Thanks for all the comments. I have to travel back and forth to the US for medical reasons, So I'll also be travelling back in December or January which means I can have the PP processed here in Thailand. Do I have to mail the old passport to the embassy or take it there in person? Also, how do I pay application fee?

You will mail your current passport to the embassy with the application form. When the new one arrives they will mail both to you.

You can pay for the new passport online or with a bank draft.

Info is here on the embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

OP....just go to the US Embassy website and it's explained there what you need, how to do it, etc.  Absent certain circumstances, you'll have to do it by mail to the Embassy in Bangkok (but, like others have said, you can expect to have your new and old passports back along with the letter you reference in 2-3 weeks at maximum).  A lot faster to get it done here if you have the time.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 2:47 PM, rwilem said:

How long does it take to get a passport?

"As of July 2022, the processing times given by the U.S. Department of State were eight to 11 weeks. The processing time of a passport starts as soon as it’s received by a center or agency, not the day it’s sent in or applied on."

That's from a USA Today article, dated July 15, 2022.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2022/07/15/how-long-to-get-passport/777929600t/

that is a passport issued in the states<  
NOT overseas.

the pilot porgram is ONLY if ur in the states:
...."

1. You live in the United States (either state or territory). You do not qualify to renew online if you live in a foreign country or have an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) address."

Edited by zzzzz

On 9/17/2022 at 4:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

You will mail your current passport to the embassy with the application form. When the new one arrives they will mail both to you.

You can pay for the new passport online or with a bank draft.

Info is here on the embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

In addition to the passport fee, there is a fee for posting the old & new passports from the Embassy to you, unless you pick up the passport. Unfortunately, it is not possible to pay this fee online, so you have to go to the bank to get a draft. You might just do both payments by bank drafts and save yourself any annoyance with online payment.

17 minutes ago, placnx said:

In addition to the passport fee, there is a fee for posting the old & new passports from the Embassy to you, unless you pick up the passport. Unfortunately, it is not possible to pay this fee online, so you have to go to the bank to get a draft. You might just do both payments by bank drafts and save yourself any annoyance with online payment.

I aware of what is needed. Just did mine in June. I paid for it online without a problem.

You cannot pick up your passport in person.

I was just at the Embassy in Bangkok, Wednesday 14th, to renew my passport. The place was pretty empty staff very helpful told me 4 weeks by mail return with letter automatically with return passports old and new.  Cost 4900 baht?  100 baht for the Post. 

So that would put it middle of October just in time to take it down to Jomtien have everything transferred and do my 90 days?

I recommend that you obtain your new passport here in Thailand……if you have some time before you leave the country.  It’s easy and takes three weeks at most to receive it here.  All done by EMS.

Waiting to get it renewed when you’re in America could prove to be a very lengthy wait indeed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I recommend that you obtain your new passport here in Thailand……if you have some time before you leave the country.  It’s easy and takes three weeks at most to receive it here.  All done by EMS.

Waiting to get it renewed when you’re in America could prove to be a very lengthy wait indeed.

Does the US embassy frown on passport holders applying for an extension while on a trip to Thailand? Which address would the applicant use - formal home address in America or the hotel's street address in Bangkok? How would the applicant pay the fees without a bank account in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, 10years said:

How would the applicant pay the fees without a bank account in Thailand?

Dunno the address answer to your question above....

But in terms of making payments when applying for a new U.S. passport from Thailand...

1. the actual new passport fee is paid online to a U.S. govt website and can be paid just fine with a U.S. bank card.

2. The other fee is a 100 baht prepaid mailing return envelope fee, which I believe is supposed to be paid with a draft (similar to money order) from one of several Thai banks that you're to include as part of your mailed application paperwork sent to the U.S. Embassy in BKK...

As part of that application paperwork, you're also supposed to send a copy of the payment confirmation email you get from the feds when you pay online for the new passport fee.

12 hours ago, 10years said:

Does the US embassy frown on passport holders applying for an extension while on a trip to Thailand? Which address would the applicant use - formal home address in America or the hotel's street address in Bangkok? How would the applicant pay the fees without a bank account in Thailand?

You would use the address related to where you’re staying.  You fill in the mailing label for EMS as part of the application package.  You pay the fees by getting 2 bank drafts.  One for the passport fee and one for the EMS fee.  You bring cash to a bank and get the drafts.  The application package provides instruction on how to get drafts and from which banks.

I live near the US Embassy. Can I just make an appointment and then go there  in person with all the paperwork done? Then pick the passport up from the embassy when the new passport is ready, That way, I don't have to deal with all the hassle of money draft, registered mail, and credit card payment system? 

6 minutes ago, DividendGuy said:

I live near the US Embassy. Can I just make an appointment and then go there  in person with all the paperwork done? Then pick the passport up from the embassy when the new passport is ready, That way, I don't have to deal with all the hassle of money draft, registered mail, and credit card payment system? 

The appointment page does not mention doing them in person. You could contact the embassy to confirm.

See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

3 hours ago, DividendGuy said:

They're basically advising that they'll only do in-person applications in emergency or urgent situations. Of course, there's no definition of exactly what that means. But they're doing their utmost to steer people toward the mailed application route.

Since return mail receipts of new U.S. passports have generally been running 2-3 weeks lately from the time you apply, I guess you could claim an urgent situation if you needed the new passport in a timeframe shorter than the 2-3 week turnaround time.

PS - I live within walking distance of the U.S. Embassy in BKK... Sent them an email asking, given that, couldn't I just do mine in person. They replied, apply by mail.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK