Overstay 2 days after visa expires due to delayed flight?

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't go to immigration.

Pay overstay at airport. 

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

the 7 days, you need to leave stamp will cost you 1900 thb and will consume more time than to pay the 1000 thb overstay.

thanks, I guess ill just do that

Edited by dj230

13 minutes ago, dj230 said:

thanks, I guess ill just do that

Normally I rarely suggest to deliberately go on overstay.

However this is a very short (2 day overstay) 

I wouldn't even be surprised if immigration advised you to pay overstay on departure if you went there to apply for extension (that would be refused) and the 7 day to leave issued. 

Obviously keep your head down last couple of days. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

the 7 days, you need to leave stamp will cost you 1900 thb and will consume more time than to pay the 1000 thb overstay.

I wonder what other visas you will be barred from ever getting with an overstay on your newly computerised (take that to mean permanent) record.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I wonder what other visas you will be barred from ever getting with an overstay on your newly computerised (take that to mean permanent) record.

Is that a serious post.

So in the future a two day overstay could prevent someone obtaining a TV or non O etc.

Please. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Apart from a Thailand Elite application, what other visa would be affected by an inconsequential 2-day overstay on leaving?   None?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

7 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

"14. I am aware of the application condition of which I must not have more than one overstay record in Thailand in the part (sic) three years."

Your point? 

The OP has been caught out due to cancelled flight..

Post advice to him.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

I think your concerns are well justified, scrutiny of past overstays has been increasing.

It's not just the Elite visa. During Covid, people with an overstay stamp in their passport were refused a conversion to a non-immigrant visa at least by Jomtien immigration. An airport fast-track service mentions on their website that they cannot serve those with past overstays. What's next is anyone's guess!

To me, the takeaway from that is clear: Avoid avoidable overstays / don't "plan" to overstay. It might be bad enough if it happens by accident or is unavoidable due to special circumstances. 

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't go to immigration.

Pay overstay at airport. 

Isn't it bad to have an overstay in your passport.

I'd prefer to pay the extra 7 day fee of 1900 baht.

I just hate dealing with immigration and giving them something to hassle about isn't worth not footing it to immigration. 

Went to immigration yesterday. For you to get the 7 day extension would likely involve a lot of confusing paperwork and many hours waiting for the passport stamp at the office. Anything under a week they are happy to accept the B500 per day without problem at the airport going through customs when leaving. It's done quickly going through customs, but I think you must pay in Thai baht in cash. Thats why visa companies have become so popular, as many people want to avoid going through the confusing and time consuming system at immigration.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, loveushorttime said:

Went to immigration yesterday. For you to get the 7 day extension would likely involve a lot of confusing paperwork and many hours waiting for the passport stamp at the office. Anything under a week they are happy to accept the B500 per day without problem at the airport going through customs when leaving. It's done quickly going through customs, but I think you must pay in Thai baht in cash. Thats why visa companies have become so popular, as many people want to avoid going through the confusing and time consuming system at immigration.

nope, it's done through immigration at the airport, not customs. the two are not the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, loveushorttime said:

really huh? so I can't just do a tourist extension application say my plane ticket got delayed and then have them reject it and get 7 days?

I can always just reschedule the flight but the flight I have is so cheap and it's actually a really good flight (usually cost is like $1000-$1500 and I got it for $600) so I figured it'd cost more to reschedule the flight than to do an extension and get rejected.

I actually kind of want a thai elite visa in the future as long as my medical treatment goes well on my trip back home, most likely will live in Thailand the rest of my life and unfortunately as a 20 year old theres no retirement visa, so I may just play by the book. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2022 at 7:33 PM, DrJack54 said:

Is that a serious post.

So in the future a two day overstay could prevent someone obtaining a TV or non O etc.

Please. 

On 9/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Apart from a Thailand Elite application, what other visa would be affected by an inconsequential 2-day overstay on leaving?   None?

2-day overstayers are not permitted to apply for non-O visa conversions for retirement - see the following link which has been posted on here several times already.

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

So @ukrules has IMHO raised a perfectly valid point.

Edited by OJAS

43 minutes ago, OJAS said:

2-day overstayers are not permitted to apply for non-O visa conversions for retirement! ????

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

@ukrules - you will also wish to be aware.

I think that may refer to people who are currently on an overstay without leaving but who knows with this lot in charge.

At one point nobody cared about overstays at all and it wasn't that long ago, 10 to 15 years ago nobody cared at all.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I think that may refer to people who are currently be on an overstay without leaving but who knows with this lot in charge.

At one point nobody cared about overstays at all and it wasn't that long ago, 10 to 15 years ago nobody cared at all.

I suspect that this situation could arise in a case where an original non-OA visa holder had exited Thailand without a re-entry permit and re-entered visa exempt with the intention of subsequently applying for a non-O conversion - but who, for whatever reason, had failed to do anything about seeking a non-O conversion until after his visa-exempt permission to stay had expired. By this time he would, of course, have been on overstay and, hence, no longer eligible for a non-O conversion in view of the specific Immigration Bureau interdiction.

That all said, I doubt whether the OP at the age of 20 is likely to be faced with a situation of this sort any time soon! 

Overstaying your  date in your passport is breaking the law.

Many times on here people ask is it ok to overstay - 1, 2, 5 days etc. The fine at the immigration exit desk is 500 baht per day of overstay. Some immigration officers will waive the fine if it is only 1 day, but you’ll still get a red stamp in your passport.

HoweVer if you are stopped inside the country for any reason - like at a police check point - even on your way to airport or border crossing then be prepared for a whole lot of trouble. 

The police may arrest you as you have broken the law. If they do you’ll be fined in court and then sent to the nearest Immigration Detention Centre, where you will be kept until you buy a one way ticket back to your home country. If you don’t have the funds for that you will be kept there until you find some means of raising those funds. Once you have your ticket, you will be deported and blacklisted from entering the country for up to 5 years.

Sounds dramatic but it sometimes happens. 500 baht a day sounds cheaper than 1900 baht at a local immigration office but in the overall scheme of things it is never wise to overstay.

Edited by Crossy
Fixed over-large font.
  • Like 1

I never recommend over-stay on purpose, forget Thailand Elite or being sent to IDC on a random police check. There is a risk if you wish to use the then sullied document to apply for a visa to a third country that does not have such a liberal attitude as Thailand towards short overstays. Have you ever wished to attend a graduate or diploma programme in yoga or vedic studies in India? If you overstay one day in Japan you are not coming back for 5 years I'm told. The foreign ministries and Immigration Officials of third countries can easily identify the overstay stamp and may be bound by rules to address it.

Every year we get aged doofuses who "Have a one month visa". They honestly don't know arrival day is day one then forget how to count anyway.

Just get an extension

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1