Disabled people complain over vehicles parking on wheelchair lane in Pattaya

snoop1130

9211E91F-6080-4F38-A5D2-A8B0E02319CC-696x392.jpeg

PHOTO: บริษัท โสภณ เคเบิ้ล ที.วี.และสื่อสาร พัทยา จำกัด

Many disabled people living in Soi Paniadchang in Pattaya filed a complaint against an undisclosed condominium for allegedly allowing tenants to park vehicles on the wheelchair lane.

Local reporters went to Soi Paniadchang in Pattaya, which housed a large community of disabled people, to check on the controversial wheelchair lane that was seen occupied by a row of motorcycles and cars on social media on Tuesday, September 20th.

Soi Paniadchang also housed many workplaces for people with disabilities and the Redemptorist Technological College for Persons with Disabilities. As a result, Pattaya City painted a bright blue wheelchair lane to help people get to these locations. However, tenants from an unnamed condo appear to misuse the lane by parking their vehicles on it, forcing people in wheelchairs onto a dangerous road.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/21/disabled-people-complain-over-vehicles-parking-on-wheelchair-lane-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-09-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Oh cool.

And while they are at it, they could certainly include in their grievance all the motorbikes parked on sidewalks, forcing able bodied people onto dangerous roads....

Thanks in advance...

On the rare occasion there is a pavement, it has frequently been commandeered by some food stall and become a seating area for their business...  so pedestrians get forced into traffic.  I noticed this wheelchair lane had been painted as I drive down there often. It functions to allow disabled people  to get to and from the rear of The Father Ray Foundation and go to Big-CX. Sad to see people park on it but TIT! 

I was heading away from BIG-CX and had to dodge a disabled person on the other side who popped out without looking.... they might be in need of some training on road sense. 

Not surprised. Look at how shops routinely commandeer public space out front. Bike mechanic shop up by us has had the sidewalk for years, right opposite a school entrance no less. Even if kids could walk it, it is utterly caked in oil. It’ll take decades yet to get this kinda carry-on under control. Lone cops will not take action since they do not know whose feet they’re treading on. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Henryford said:

It's like painting the zebra crossings red, all a waste of time and money.

And paint.... pretty much all rad markings are a waste of paint. Lane markings are completely ignored, I wonder if many know they are even there. 

It's not just a wheelchair lane, it's also a lane for walkers, as there are no sidewalks.  Should be big fines for parking there--and also on sidewalks and red striped curbs everywhere--and enforcement with a crew of police tasked with that assignment on a permanent basis.  The fines would easily pay for their salaries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

I don't know how wheelchair users manage in Pattaya. I was walking on the pavement ! up Pattaya Klang the other day and i could barely walk over the holes, loose paving stones, rebars etc.

When my son was about 1 my I needed to go about 1km down the road. 

My wife had the car. Adamant that I’ll not take our child in any vehicle without a ‘child seat’ I took the push-chair and set off.... 

.... Big mistake, the pavement was hardly navigable, then I had the motorcycles to contend with some of whom were getting angry because I was in their way on the pavement (sidewalk). 

It would have been far safer to simply get a taxi... 

Thailand is a place which has no respect for the pedestrian whatsoever and a far less understanding of those with mobility needs.

Thailand is a developing nation of course, so it can’t have the funds to do a lot of things. 

However, these issues are often attitude rather than ‘finance’ related - the general attitude filters down from the top and that attitude is that people don’t really care about those outside their immediate circle of influence... hence this is the general attitude - out of sight, out of mind.