Any advantage for a foreigner to register his name in the Thai Registration Book (Blue Tabien Baan)?

On 9/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, scubascuba3 said:

of course with an agent it's easy, the list of requirements are much easier than if you do it yourself, but then you pay for it, part of the corruption

Excuse me, what corruption? I was perfectly entitled to it (we were, both me and my wife), we just preferred going the smooth way as we both didn't speak much Thai. It may have cost a few 100B for the agent's work, I really don't remember.

You seem to speak a lot about things about which you have no clue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, arithai12 said:

Excuse me, what corruption? I was perfectly entitled to it (we were, both me and my wife), we just preferred going the smooth way as we both didn't speak much Thai. It may have cost a few 100B for the agent's work, I really don't remember.

You seem to speak a lot about things about which you have no clue.

agents don't work for a few 100B, maybe gets the facts straight and come back

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

agents don't work for a few 100B, maybe gets the facts straight and come back

Really, are you now calling folk here liars because you are an anti-yellow book guy.....?

If I were you, I would do your own research before doing the above....????

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:50 PM, connda said:

Like, you don't have to go to immigration to get a residence form that are required by some Thai bureaucracies, like the motor vehicle department.  I've got one.  It saves the occasional hassle of having to drive to immigration (30+ km for me).  Just saying.  It doesn't buy you much.

In Pattaya the DLT not execpt the yellow book. You still need residence certification from the immigration.

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

It saves you having to carry your Passport around everywhere for ID purposes and paying Immigration for proof of abode slips. You don't get asked for them, you use them instead of...

I never carry my passport with me.

To-date, 22 years, I've never gad to pay immigration for prove of abode.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Congratulations... 

Others have to, much of it depends at which immigration office of course. 

i.e. in some it costs 500 baht...  at others it costs 500 baht to get it now, or wait two weeks. 

OR, depending on your 90 day reports status, at many immigration offices you cannot get a Certificate of Residence at all without a 90 day report (i.e. Chaeng Wattana)... in others your 90 day report status does’t matter (i.e. Chiang Mai). 

Mileage varies... but one thing is for sure - at Some point many of us need a ‘Proof of abode document’ and thats either an Affirmation of Residence (from Embassy - at about 2000 baht per letter), or Certificate of Residence from Immigration described above.... Or for many the Yellow Tabien Baan has proven to be quite the time saver and money saver. 

I think uou misunderstood.

I have never needed proof of address/abode/residence from immigration.

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

I think uou misunderstood.

I have never needed proof of address/abode/residence from immigration.

So you have never bought a car, a motorbike, or needed to obtain one to get a driver's license. Is it because your Thai? Or you let everyone else around you handle things.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

So you have never bought a car, a motorbike, or needed to obtain one to get a driver's license. Is it because your Thai? Or you let everyone else around you handle things.

The local office that issues driving licences accepts a letter from the local police station.

We have a car and 2 bikes, all in my wife's name, and another bike in my daughter's name. Makes things much easier, especially when it comes to selling.

5 hours ago, transam said:

PS. Had my Yellow Book 12 years....

Maybe it was easy 12 years ago. I know it was much easier than it is now 

Our local district office need loads of stuff. Including Poo yai baan as,as witness and a certified copy of my passport stamped bybthe MFA in Bangkok. I'm not going to bother. Done without for 22 years. Can't see why I need it now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, puchooay said:

Maybe it was easy 12 years ago. I know it was much easier than it is now 

Our local district office need loads of stuff. Including Poo yai baan as,as witness and a certified copy of my passport stamped bybthe MFA in Bangkok. I'm not going to bother. Done without for 22 years. Can't see why I need it now.

Then just imagine how easy it would have been for you 22 years back....????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Then just imagine how easy it would have been for you 22 years back....????

No-one had ever heard of such things 22 years ago. 

I was only aware of it probably about 11 years ago. Didn't need one then, don't need one now. 

If there is hidden agenda from the Thai authorities and every expat will need one they will need to streamline the system. Maybe align it with immigration.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

No-one had ever heard of such things 22 years ago. 

I was only aware of it probably about 11 years ago. Didn't need one then, don't need one now. 

If there is hidden agenda from the Thai authorities and every expat will need one they will need to streamline the system. Maybe align it with immigration.

I have heard that Thai ladies keep the yellow book quiet, as they think it gives their farangy some kind of foothold on property...????

• Haha 1

I have been around since 84. Eventually I ended up with a By Tabien Bahn for a condo and a Blue Book for my Disco and that's good enough for me so far. Eventually I hope to get a Thai Driver's License. I had a chance at citizenship but didn't have the funds but I could sing the National Anthem in Thai.

If married why wouldn't your name be on the By Tabien Bahn? There could be problems later as some posters here may tell you.

What about the Green Books? They were very important in Nana and Patpong. Girls without a current stamp could not work. This had an impact in many rural communities as these girls could not send their pay home. Girls who failed the tests could pay a fee and get a stamp and return to work with or without a shot. Some customers would need shots in a day or two after a night out.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, d4dang said:

What about the Green Books? They were very important in Nana and Patpong. Girls without a current stamp could not work. This had an impact in many rural communities as these girls could not send their pay home. Girls who failed the tests could pay a fee and get a stamp and return to work with or without a shot. Some customers would need shots in a day or two after a night out.

Got one for the motorbike....????

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 3:56 PM, puchooay said:

Interesting that you say Thai bureaucracies in the plural form.

I know some require it for vehicle registration, I don't as I get them registered in my wife's name. I also believe they are needed by some when applying for a driving licence, although my local office accepts a letter from the local police. I guess these two examples would be singular as it is the same department. What other instances are there where you have been asked for one?

I have used Residence Certificate for driving licence application, buying  and /or selling motorbikes, opening bank accounts, and recently as part of a KYC request for proof of address.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:50 PM, connda said:

Like, you don't have to go to immigration to get a residence form that are required by some Thai bureaucracies, like the motor vehicle department.  I've got one.  It saves the occasional hassle of having to drive to immigration (30+ km for me).  Just saying.  It doesn't buy you much.

if you are working, you can show your WP. If you are not working, you have all the time in the world ???? especially once every 5 years to renew DL ???? 

On 9/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, d4dang said:

I have been around since 84. Eventually I ended up with a By Tabien Bahn for a condo and a Blue Book for my Disco and that's good enough for me so far. Eventually I hope to get a Thai Driver's License. I had a chance at citizenship but didn't have the funds but I could sing the National Anthem in Thai.

If married why wouldn't your name be on the By Tabien Bahn? There could be problems later as some posters here may tell you.

Disco, lol, that's a new word for it! 

You didn't have the funds for citizenship? Cost me 5,000 baht! 

Good luck getting a DL ????  After showing my golf caddy my ID card the other day, she said she had once met a foreigner with a Thai Driver's License, I was shocked. 

2 weeks ago, I showed my Thai ID to a shop I am a member of and asked for a membership card -  they said no need as I have a Thai DL, just show it, very strange.