Any advantage for a foreigner to register his name in the Thai Registration Book (Blue Tabien Baan)?

On 9/24/2022 at 8:06 AM, tweedledee2 said:

When I applied for my 5 year DL last September, they required my passport, expired 2 yr license, yellow book and either a resident certificate or a pink ID card. 

If you have the yellow book, you don't need the pink Id card. 

On 9/23/2022 at 3:22 PM, JaiMaai said:

You can't.

What you can do is apply for a "Yellow" book, Going by the numerous previous threads on the topic, the requirements vary from office to office. 

It's probably best to go and ask.

I have a yellow book and pink card, BUT my missus says that my name is also in the blue book. So you can. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not needed but easy to obtain when you have the yellow book and it is very usefull to carry as ID for hotel check in etc, no need to carry passport anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:50 PM, connda said:

t saves the occasional hassle of having to drive to immigration (30+ km for me)

Luckily for me, my IO is close to Makro/Lotus where I go weekly, and that is 35 KM away.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When I applied for my 2-year license in Sept. 2019 at Mueang Surin DLT, they required my US Passport, my valid US State drivers license, an IDP, a medical certificate (30 baht) and Yellowbook.

In Sept 2021, when I renewed to a 5-year license, the required documents were my expired 2-year license, my passport, a medical certificate (still 30 baht) and 2 forms of residence verification. The choices on the application list were 2 of the following: a Yellow book, a resident certificate from immigration and Pink ID. I chose getting the Pink ID card (that was free) over paying the thieves at IM, 500 baht for a fast track RC. 

Just because you haven't found a Pink ID beneficial to you, telling me "You didn't need it" shows me just how little you actually do know about the benefits of a Pink ID card to others.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

In Sept 2021, when I renewed to a 5-year license, the required documents were my expired 2-year license, my passport, a medical certificate (still 30 baht) and 2 forms of residence verification. The choices on the application list were 2 of the following: a Yellow book, a resident certificate from immigration and Pink ID. 

Earlier this year I went to the DLT to get an IDP for upcoming international travel. I had my Thai DLs, passport, blue tabien baan, red police book and PR residence book and signed photocopies. This was sufficient in the past, including back in 2019 when I got an IDP at the same DLT office. This year they wanted my pink ID, too. This was the first time I had been asked by any Thai official to present the pink ID card and I was a bit surprised when asked for it. Now it makes sense in light of your explanation above.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu

3 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Earlier this year I went to the DLT to get an IDP for upcoming international travel. I had my Thai DLs, passport, blue tabien baan, red police book and PR residence book and signed photocopies. This was sufficient in the past, including back in 2019 when I got an IDP at the same DLT office. This year they wanted my pink ID, too. This was the first time I had been asked by any Thai official to present the pink ID card and I was a bit surprised when asked for it. Now it makes sense in light of your explanation above.

When renewing my DL in Khon Kaen 2 years ago, they wouldn't accept my Pink ID. 

4 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

When I applied for my 2-year license in Sept. 2019 at Mueang Surin DLT, they required my US Passport, my valid US State drivers license, an IDP, a medical certificate (30 baht) and Yellowbook.

In Sept 2021, when I renewed to a 5-year license, the required documents were my expired 2-year license, my passport, a medical certificate (still 30 baht) and 2 forms of residence verification. The choices on the application list were 2 of the following: a Yellow book, a resident certificate from immigration and Pink ID. I chose getting the Pink ID card (that was free) over paying the thieves at IM, 500 baht for a fast track RC. 

Just because you haven't found a Pink ID beneficial to you, telling me "You didn't need it" shows me just how little you actually do know about the benefits of a Pink ID card to others.

Foreigners and Thais don't need a medical cet. any more for renewing DL. 

My experience with the Pink ID card is not much use. Did you know if you leave your province, you still need to carry your passport as the pink ID is not valid, read the back. If someone accepts it, it is because they are not used to seeing Westerners with this ID, it is really for migrant workers.  I have a blue ID now, that has many uses! 

10 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I'm fortunate that I have lifetime Thai DLs but unfortunate that an IDP for use in the US is only good for one year. Luckily I don't travel abroad very often.

You don't need an IDP, just use your Thai DL. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You don't need an IDP, just use your Thai DL. 

Several states in the US won't recognize a foreign DL without an IDP, even if the foreign DL is in English. This would void the car's insurance in those states. Also, some car rental companies insist on an IDP because of this. Enterprise Rent A Car is one of them.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 5:00 PM, Kenny202 said:

Been told over and over only advantage of a yellow book no residency cert needed for DMV

You have been told wrong, Chonburi DLT insist on a residency certificate and also Pattaya I believe.

Advantage is in the eye of the beholder. I am registered at the hospital with my Thai ID number and when the pandemic came along the hospital put me on mor Phrom.

I was vaccinated at about 9am on the morning the vacine rollout started. I have also had free check ups with mobile health units and participated in the government flu jab program.

Of course I am well aware that there are those that would not wish to have anything to do with the state health system so they would see no advantage. 

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Not needed but easy to obtain when you have the yellow book and it is very usefull to carry as ID for hotel check in etc, no need to carry passport anywhere.

I fail to understand why people would prefer to carry a passport than an ID card.

When i first registered at the cancer hospital I had no option than to use my passport and I saw the nurse drop it as she carried the documents around the room.

When I got the pink card I re- registered and now they slip the ID card into a plastic sleeve and staple it to the docs just like everyone else.

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 11:23 AM, brianthainess said:

Traveling outside your province you are registered in,

Could be problematic if involved in an RTA or just a police check/shake down.

if not having your passport on you or close by.

I would not advise anyone to do that. could  get expensive to go and get it.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Orinoco said:

What utter tosh.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Wife tell you that? Nice way to make sure you do not run away ????

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

up to you.

But after working around this world for  many years.

I am fully aware of what ID counts in any serious situation,  and a silly pink card from your temporary county of stay,  is not going to cut it.

So stop the BS.

Thinking i need to  consulate my wife on this issue is just laughable.

Please don't encourage people to do unnecessary silly things. that could cost them time and money.

its so easy to take the correct documents with you .

Edited by Orinoco

53 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It's one of those official rules. They are not enforced... until they are. How many of you knew of that forms to register guests a few years back, yet they were in effect for half a century. Never enforced, never checked... until all of a sudden you would be in trouble if you didn't do it.

Same can happen here. The Thai ID card used to state it is only valid in province of issuance. The text that you can leave with another document has only been added maybe 5 years back. If you have pink ID - go and read the point 3 at the back.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2022 at 11:19 AM, brianthainess said:

I have a yellow book and pink card, BUT my missus says that my name is also in the blue book. So you can. 

The official at the khet stated specifically that I (as PR) can only be entered into blue book, and a foreigner without PR can only be entered into yellow book. Of course you could have district offices that have no clue and make mistakes, but you should not be able to get entered in there, as for that you need to provide red police book (Alien Registration) and its number must be entered in the form to add you to blue tabien baan. The same information came from both Prachachuen and Bang Kapi.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:15 PM, Neeranam said:

Foreigners and Thais don't need a medical cet. any more for renewing DL. 

My experience with the Pink ID card is not much use. Did you know if you leave your province, you still need to carry your passport as the pink ID is not valid, read the back. If someone accepts it, it is because they are not used to seeing Westerners with this ID, it is really for migrant workers.  I have a blue ID now, that has many uses! 

Wrong on the medical certificate not being needed. It is a requirement. I just renewed my 5 year licenses and had to get another certificate as the one I obtained was over 30 days old.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

image.thumb.png.47edc53bb59570328f6a0213e1e1852f.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What utter tosh.

To late to edit my post before.

But why make potential problems for yourself ?

it's just double dumb.

Have you ever told a policeman or immigration man

to go and f4444444 himself in a foreign county when they ask for something.

I bet not.

Maybe you have,   what was the outcome ? :cheesy:

Don't encourage people  to do unnecessary silly things.

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

It's one of those official rules. They are not enforced... until they are. How many of you knew of that forms to register guests a few years back, yet they were in effect for half a century. Never enforced, never checked... until all of a sudden you would be in trouble if you didn't do it.

Same can happen here. The Thai ID card used to state it is only valid in province of issuance. The text that you can leave with another document has only been added maybe 5 years back. If you have pink ID - go and read the point 3 at the back.

I travel with Thai DL only, and pink card, and those hotels who claim a passport, I hand them a photocopy. What is the rule or not, doesnt matter in Thailand if not practiced. For me it is either DL or passport they want for check in. Police only want DL. 

Pink card is useful in some national parks and for official papers, license, buying cars, motorbikes etc. 

It is okay to be informed and also know the regulations, but regulations that is not practiced? And make a argument about non existed regulations you never ever will have to practice? 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 6:19 AM, brianthainess said:

1. Is your "missus" Thai and

2. does she have a child of whom you are the father and

3. is this child registered in the blue book of which your "missus" speaks?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Orinoco said:

But why make potential problems for yourself ?

it's just double dumb.

to go and f4444444 himself in a foreign county when they ask for something.

I bet not.

Maybe you have,   what was the outcome ? :cheesy:

Don't encourage people  to do unnecessary silly things.

You won't go wrong in Thailand if you follow 'Hummin' advice 2 posts up.

It just so happens I told an IO that I wasn't going to pay the 400 Baht he was asking me for to transfer the stamps from my old passport to my new one. He backed off. There is NO fee. Obviously he thought I was a newbie.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

On 10/29/2022 at 6:23 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Actually this goes beyond what has been reported.It is the first instance I have ever heard of the Pink card being compulsory to complete a transaction, ie as opposed to being one of a choice of ways of confirming residence.The fact that you are also a PR and had the documents to prove it makes this episode very weird indeed. Having said that it's a sign of the times and I recall it was initially impossible for expats to get Covid jabs without a Pink card.

20 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Actually this goes beyond what has been reported.It is the first instance I have ever heard of the Pink card being compulsory to complete a transaction, ie as opposed to being one of a choice of ways of confirming residence.The fact that you are also a PR and had the documents to prove it makes this episode very weird indeed. Having said that it's a sign of the times and I recall it was initially impossible for expats to get Covid jabs without a Pink card.

It may not have been that the pink card was compulsory, just that they needed two forms of ID stating my address and the the TM17 residence book somehow did not make it on their list of acceptable documents. There aren't that many PR holders, so it could just be an oversight when they implemented this new requirement. The red police book does not show my address.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 7:45 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It may not have been that the pink card was compulsory, just that they needed two forms of ID stating my address and the the TM17 residence book somehow did not make it on their list of acceptable documents. There aren't that many PR holders, so it could just be an oversight when they implemented this new requirement. The red police book does not show my address.

My red police book does show my full address and when I moved to the current location the polite pleasant and organized policeman (spoke enough English) asked me to complete a 'personal profile sheet' in English, including full address, then asked my Thai son to add the same details in Thai.

No interview or similar, all very mechanical.

He then started a new folder and sticky taped the 'profile' to the front of the folder then when all complete into a hanging file in his filing cabinet. 

Then said to my adult Thai son in Thai 'don't forget please, come back in 5 years and bring a new photo'. 

Edited by scorecard

On 10/31/2022 at 7:45 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It could be that to be acceptable to prove ID the item must have an embedded photo. Tabien Baan books don't include photos.