Peeing in 100% humidty

WorriedNoodle

When you go to cooler climates in other countries without the 100% humidity of Thailand we are used to living in Thailand do you wake up in the night wanting to pee more?!

I do, perhaps a sign of old age and or something more serious? When I am back in Thailand its normal and I get a good nights sleep.

Edited by WorriedNoodle

Do you spend much time outside in the heat in Thailand? And what temperature is your a/c set to?

Do you take the same fluid intake in these colder climates as you do in Thailand? It's possible that you're over hydrating yourself if you have the same fluid intake in a colder climate as you do in Thailand, as you won't be losing as much through perspiration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Do you spend much time outside in the heat in Thailand? And what temperature is your a/c set to?

Hardly ever use an aircon in Thailand, prefer a fan. Love the heat! I don't drink as much overseas, maybe more coffee than I should so cutting back on that. Pee is clear so well hydrated.... perhaps I am more suited to the tropics now!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Do you take the same fluid intake in these colder climates as you do in Thailand? It's possible that you're over hydrating yourself if you have the same fluid intake in a colder climate as you do in Thailand, as you won't be losing as much through perspiration.

I was thinking the same, its probably more to do with different fluid intake, different diet, different lifestyle/activities

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Hardly ever use an aircon in Thailand, prefer a fan. Love the heat! I don't drink as much overseas, maybe more coffee than I should so cutting back on that. Pee is clear so well hydrated.... perhaps I am more suited to the tropics now!

I'm no hygienist so I don't know the ratios but if you're not using a/c then I guess there's a large difference in the amount you're losing to perspiration. I'm pretty sure the caffeine in your coffee doesn't help either.

"Pee is clear so well hydrated...."

Right. And, as I suggested, maybe you're over-hydrated.

How long do you leave it between your last drink and going to bed. It should be at least a couple of hours, ideally.

37 minutes ago, JayClay said:

guess there's a large difference in the amount you're losing to perspiration.

That was my thought, I do perspire an awful lot more in 100% humidity. Away from the humidity, no sweat and I am trying to limit the fluid intakes nothing 3 -4 hours before sleep, except to cleanse my dry mouth,  as the wake up calls in the middle of the night are sapping my energy.

Once back in Thailand I will sleep soundly and get a full nights kip.

• Like 1

I went back to the UK for a month towards the end of May and for the first two weeks I was freezing and it seemed like I was peeing a couple of times an hour! As soon as the weather got warmer I was back to normal.

8 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I went back to the UK for a month towards the end of May and for the first two weeks I was freezing and it seemed like I was peeing a couple of times an hour! As soon as the weather got warmer I was back to normal.

End of May this year? Was freezing, was that northern Scotland?

You might contemplate differences in diet.  For example, do you eat more savory/salty foods in one place or the other?  more nightshade family of vegetables (can increase thirst for certain blood types)?

Salt, while on one hand may tend to elevate blood pressure by helping the body retain water, must also be present to help the kidneys expel toxins (and water).  So there is a balance to find with it.  Generally, when one is acclimatizing to a new climate, whether more humid or more dry, one tends to drink more water than usual.  This can be expected for at least three weeks, after which the body will adjust and the water intake may return to normal.

I've just come back from Australia (winter). I'm the opposite. In Thailand I might pee half a dozen times during the night. In Australia it was never more than once or twice.

I put it down to not drinking enough water in Thailand. In Australia, I probably drank the same amount as in Thailand, but it was sufficient in the colder climate and meant that I was in balance. In Thailand's heat I'm in deficit and need to <deleted> out more to get my blood salt levels balanced (e.g. <deleted> out more to reduce the volume of water).

I know it sounds like it should be the other way around, but there you go. In a hot and humid climate drink more water to <deleted> less.

Forget all this jabber about temperature etc. if you start getting up in the night to pee then go and get a blood test and ask for your PSA to be checked. One of the biggest killers for older men is prostate cancer and frequent night time needing to pee is a common indicator. Death rate in the UK is 1 in 41 for Prostate cancer. I was lucky and caught it in time.

Good luck.

• Like 2

How old are you? Have you ever had a prostate exam and blood test to check for prostate problem indicators? 

If you're in your late 40's or older and haven't I'd suggest you do asap.

Peeing at night isn't always a sign of prostate issues it might be as other shave said you've just not adjusted to European climes after being in the heat of LOS.

It can mean you have hydrated well that day and simply need to be rid of some.

If you are peeing this way every night and few times ... and I were you, I'd go to the doc with a small fresh urine sample in hand.

If any males in your family line had prostate cancer or enlarged ones then go to the doc and have the tests. If you're over 50 and never had a colonoscopy then have one.

Do you have strong abs and deep abdominal muscles? Can you push hard when you pee or do you have trouble doing so?

Do you have a big belly and weak abs? 

3 to 4 litres of H2O a day is medically suggested for men in tropical climates to maintain a reasonable level of hydration.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2017-10-18/how-much-water-do-we-need-to-drink-a-day/8996668

If you exercise and sweat, or just sweat (as you mention) a lot compare to others then drink a bit maybe more.

I am 65 and work out nearly every day in some form. I drink about 4 -5  litres as a baseline often a bit more. 

Clear urine is an indicator of hydration but can and does have other meanings.

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthy-sustainable-diets/hydration/?level=Health professional

If you hit the gym, run, cycle - or some activity that really makes you sweat a lot then certainly drink the 3 or 4 litres a day. As long as you don't drink like mad (tens of litres can kill you) you'll simply pee it out which is not bad for you.

If you're in cool mild Europe climes then 2.5 litres a day ... unless your working out hard n working up a good sweat is a good general benchmark.

If you swim in chlorinated pools in Europe, drink a bit more as the chlorine 'sucks' the moisture out of you.

If you swim in the warm salt water in LOS drink at least the minimum litres, maybe a bit more as you need.

Most people don't drink enough water.

Men are notoriously poor at taking care of their health, being oblivious and denying the signals their bodies give them.

If you drink alcohol and caffeine then you are reversing your H2O intake.

If you make a pattern of H2O drinking e.g As soon as you wake a large glass of fresh water with lime or lemon juice squeezed into it. - kick starts your immune system, a glass a little while after breakfast or maybe a fresh orange juice with breakie.

A reusable water bottle as you go through the day with you helps to prompt you.

If I drink tea of coffee I always ask for and drink a glass of water afterwards before I leave the cafe. As I find coffee dehydrates me I drink a few glasses after having an coffee within a short time

I always drink a few glasses of water after I've been drinking. I learnt my lessons early, the horrid wake up with a mouth so dry and splitting head taught me to.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

When you go to cooler climates in other countries without the 100% humidity of Thailand we are used to living in Thailand do you wake up in the night wanting to pee more?!

This happens because of a perfectly normal phenomenon known as cold diuresis. 

Google is your friend.

14 hours ago, stewartthailand said:

Forget all this jabber about temperature etc. if you start getting up in the night to pee then go and get a blood test and ask for your PSA to be checked. One of the biggest killers for older men is prostate cancer and frequent night time needing to pee is a common indicator. Death rate in the UK is 1 in 41 for Prostate cancer. I was lucky and caught it in time.

Good luck.

I second this i wish i had gone to Docs earlier when i was peeing a lot turned out i had advanced prostate cancer, i am now in remission. GET TESTED

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Boyn said:

I second this i wish i had gone to Docs earlier when i was peeing a lot turned out i had advanced prostate cancer, i am now in remission. GET TESTED

What if I get back to Thailand and I don't pee at night anymore?

It turns out I have figured out how to stop the peeing anyway. I was on a new regimen of anti malaria prophylaxis, part of terms and conditions of my over seas visit. Stopped using the meds as I cannot see any mosquitoes anyway and now no more excessive peeing!

On 9/24/2022 at 10:42 PM, Tropposurfer said:

How old are you? Have you ever had a prostate exam and blood test to check for prostate problem indicators? 

If you're in your late 40's or older and haven't I'd suggest you do asap.

Peeing at night isn't always a sign of prostate issues it might be as other shave said you've just not adjusted to European climes after being in the heat of LOS.

It can mean you have hydrated well that day and simply need to be rid of some.

If you are peeing this way every night and few times ... and I were you, I'd go to the doc with a small fresh urine sample in hand.

If any males in your family line had prostate cancer or enlarged ones then go to the doc and have the tests. If you're over 50 and never had a colonoscopy then have one.

Do you have strong abs and deep abdominal muscles? Can you push hard when you pee or do you have trouble doing so?

Do you have a big belly and weak abs? 

3 to 4 litres of H2O a day is medically suggested for men in tropical climates to maintain a reasonable level of hydration.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2017-10-18/how-much-water-do-we-need-to-drink-a-day/8996668

If you exercise and sweat, or just sweat (as you mention) a lot compare to others then drink a bit maybe more.

I am 65 and work out nearly every day in some form. I drink about 4 -5  litres as a baseline often a bit more. 

Clear urine is an indicator of hydration but can and does have other meanings.

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthy-sustainable-diets/hydration/?level=Health professional

If you hit the gym, run, cycle - or some activity that really makes you sweat a lot then certainly drink the 3 or 4 litres a day. As long as you don't drink like mad (tens of litres can kill you) you'll simply pee it out which is not bad for you.

If you're in cool mild Europe climes then 2.5 litres a day ... unless your working out hard n working up a good sweat is a good general benchmark.

If you swim in chlorinated pools in Europe, drink a bit more as the chlorine 'sucks' the moisture out of you.

If you swim in the warm salt water in LOS drink at least the minimum litres, maybe a bit more as you need.

Most people don't drink enough water.

Men are notoriously poor at taking care of their health, being oblivious and denying the signals their bodies give them.

If you drink alcohol and caffeine then you are reversing your H2O intake.

If you make a pattern of H2O drinking e.g As soon as you wake a large glass of fresh water with lime or lemon juice squeezed into it. - kick starts your immune system, a glass a little while after breakfast or maybe a fresh orange juice with breakie.

A reusable water bottle as you go through the day with you helps to prompt you.

If I drink tea of coffee I always ask for and drink a glass of water afterwards before I leave the cafe. As I find coffee dehydrates me I drink a few glasses after having an coffee within a short time

I always drink a few glasses of water after I've been drinking. I learnt my lessons early, the horrid wake up with a mouth so dry and splitting head taught me to.

An overactive bladder can be caused by many things.

I was referred to a bladder physio.

In my case, my pelvic floor muscles were too strong and needed relaxation therapy.

My optimum maximum fluid intake, based on my mainly indoor personal lifestyle in a climate where summer temperatures can reach 47 degrees centigrade, was a daily 1.8 litres.

This was determined by accurately determined by measuring my current fluid intake and my urine output.

11 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

What if I get back to Thailand and I don't pee at night anymore?

It turns out I have figured out how to stop the peeing anyway. I was on a new regimen of anti malaria prophylaxis, part of terms and conditions of my over seas visit. Stopped using the meds as I cannot see any mosquitoes anyway and now no more excessive peeing!

Buddy if you are over 50 have a yearly test anyway its only a blood test, 1 in 8 men get prostate  cancer.

• Like 1