Non-immigrant O extensions but circumstances will change. What are my options?

This may sound crazy, but another possible solution is to fix your marriage.

If that is not in the realm of possibilities, it does sound as if your wife could be quite reasonable - in other words, it is not a "hot" break up with a lot of hard feelings. If neither of you has a pressing need to be single, you could agree to leave the status quo for a year, maybe two, to give you time to sort out your life.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, garrya said:

Wow. I haven't known about this. After a quick search it turns out that work is not allowed on this type of Visa though. 

But anyways, I don't think she would have a problem with this to be frank. 

A Non O visa on the basis of Thai spouse does not preclude working in Thailand. You would still need a work permit, of course.

6 minutes ago, arick said:

Perfect and just take the new girlfriend at the sametine and get married. 

Not sure whether I smell sarcasm here or not. 

A Large number of relationships break up. Sometimes we can't fix what has broken. 

9 hours ago, garrya said:

Ok, I haven't seen that 80.000 requirements anywhere if based on Thai partner.

It looks like the 80,000 baht requirement is only for employment based residency. The family based residency doesn't have salary requirements.

8 hours ago, timendres said:

This may sound crazy, but another possible solution is to fix your marriage.

If that is not in the realm of possibilities, it does sound as if your wife could be quite reasonable - in other words, it is not a "hot" break up with a lot of hard feelings. If neither of you has a pressing need to be single, you could agree to leave the status quo for a year, maybe two, to give you time to sort out your life.

Yes, true. However, we have a business that needs to be managed and it's not gonna be possible without the two of us. Otherwise, a loss of 2-3 million baht is gonna happen.

4 minutes ago, garrya said:

Not sure whether I smell sarcasm here or not. 

A Large number of relationships break up. Sometimes we can't fix what has broken

You stated this earlier....

"3. Using the tourist Visa option to keep coming back and get married to a Thai woman. (easiest way but rather inconvenient)"......

you make sound like getting married is a trip to the 7/11.

13 hours ago, garrya said:

Ok, I understand this. So basically I'll have to leave after papers are signed, won't I? If not married, no work, no large investment, is tourism the only option to enter Thailand again?

How much time will I have left after divorce docs are cleared?

unless ur ex is a bitch and reports you, immigration wont know ur divorced till ur next extension is due and u cant get the paperwork
so you have till then to figure something out

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You stated this earlier....

"3. Using the tourist Visa option to keep coming back and get married to a Thai woman. (easiest way but rather inconvenient)"......

you make sound like getting married is a trip to the 7/11.

Well, thanks for your input. Will go to the Big C instead. 

Edited by garrya

31 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

unless ur ex is a bitch and reports you, immigration wont know ur divorced till ur next extension is due and u cant get the paperwork

Rather risky. I'd better sort things out amicably and legally. 

She's not a bad person but it's quite doubtful that she would want me to get on with her help. 

45 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Extension is due in 4 weeks time.

13 hours ago, garrya said:

Thanks for the lot of positive contribution.

It seems that I could narrow my options down to three options.

1. Trying to get employed to get Non-B (rather unlikely but not impossible)

2. Sorting out my work permit and convert the business to a limited partnership as quickly as possible (somewhat more probable)

3. Using the tourist Visa option to keep coming back and get married to a Thai woman. (easiest way but rather inconvenient)

IMHO you should only use 3 as a stop-gap measure until you have got 2 sorted - and most definitely not with the sole view of remarrying! Embassies and consulates in adjoining countries might get rather sniffy about issuing you with tourist visas on a back-to-back basis over the long term.

12 hours ago, garrya said:

Another thing I have found that I am probably eligible for Thai Residency Permit. 

In which case I would strongly advise you to take a read of this thread:-

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

IMHO you should only use 3 as a stop-gap measure until you have got 2 sorted - and most definitely not with the sole view of remarrying! Embassies and consulates in adjoining countries might get rather sniffy about issuing you with tourist visas on a back-to-back basis over the long term.

Great. Thanks.

I'll definitely go for the work permit option quickly. 

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Apparently, the previous employer has (after months and months) prepared my documents so that I will be able to apply for a new work permit within days.

This is a terrible thing that a previous employer can just hold someone in ransom and there is very little the one can do. And we all know that in Thailand the one must be VERY careful. 

By the way, could anyone give me advice on which neighbouring country is the best to dwell for a while? I thought about Cambodia. Obviously, I would need a long term rent there,  and a possible hassle free entry and stay. 

I live near to the border with Malaysia but I am not sure if it's a viable option.

10 minutes ago, garrya said:

By the way, could anyone give me advice on which neighbouring country is the best to dwell for a while? I thought about Cambodia. Obviously, I would need a long term rent there,  and a possible hassle free entry and stay. 

I live near to the border with Malaysia but I am not sure if it's a viable option.

I would suggest Vietnam. If you are savvy about how to go about it, Vietnam can be a pleasant and inexpensive place to live. Long stay visas are a bit tricky to get, though.

Cambodia is pretty easy from a visa viewpoint. However, good quality accommodation is expensive and the food options do not compare with Thailand.

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I would suggest Vietnam. If you are savvy about how to go about it, Vietnam can be a pleasant and inexpensive place to live. Long stay visas are a bit tricky to get, though.

Cambodia is pretty easy from a visa viewpoint. However, good quality accommodation is expensive and the food options do not compare with Thailand.

I'd prefer Cambodia. I don't care much about food, and I actually prefer cooking to eating out. I would need to get a long term, affordable rent. I am not picky and I can live frugally for a while. I am used to it as I come from a poor background. But renting is my biggest issue for suree. Also, I'd prefer land travel.

Not sure if living in Savannakhet is possible. I have never been there.

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Depart on your last day.

Caution: If you get a new visa from Cambo, you wont be able to apply for Thai P.R.

Sure. I reckon no re-entry permit needed as it's gonna be  a new visa. But I believe things can get sorted out here.

3 hours ago, garrya said:

I moved over to Cambodia ( Kep) last year<
easy visa $290-300/year
plenty of places to rent although I built a house, ( got Khmer wife)
rents are 20% less than  Phuket but standards are 50% less
see rooms from $100 to 2 bedroom homes around $250-300 in Kampot or Kep
Just about everything BUT drinking alcohol an smoking cigs cost more
but easy to live on lousy food, ( street food is under $2 BUT stay away from it)  for under $5/meal if thats ur thing

Got land and house for sale an heading back to Phuket

Edited by zzzzz

14 minutes ago, garrya said:

Sure. I reckon no re-entry permit needed as it's gonna be  a new visa. But I believe things can get sorted out here.

The only thing you can do is change to a different category for a new extension of stay. That should be done when your divorce is finalized.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Get a marriage visa in Laos as mentioned before, this buys you a lot of time. Tell the wife if she doesn't play ball, she will lose a lot of money in the business too.

True, she knows that ????

3 hours ago, zzzzz said:

I moved over to Cambodia ( Kep) last year<
easy visa $290-300/year
plenty of places to rent although I built a house, ( got Khmer wife)
rents are 20% less than  Phuket but standards are 50% less
see rooms from $100 to 2 bedroom homes around $250-300 in Kampot or Kep
Just about everything BUT drinking alcohol an smoking cigs cost more
but easy to live on lousy food, ( street food is under $2 BUT stay away from it)  for under $5/meal if thats ur thing

Got land and house for sale an heading back to Phuket

Thanks. I can't go for long term apart from the 30-60 day long tourist visas.

Are there rooms with cooker? 

I like to make my own food. 

Are there any restrictions on how many cigs can the one take there through land borders?

Are supermarkets stocked well?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, garrya said:

Thanks. I can't go for long term apart from the 30-60 day long tourist visas.

Are there rooms with cooker? 

I like to make my own food. 

Are there any restrictions on how many cigs can the one take there through land borders?

Are supermarkets stocked well?

On cooking facilities, it will cost you a lot if you want a fully equipped kitchen. However, if you know what typical Thais use to cook their food, that is available for fairly cheap accommodation.

You do not want to bring cigarettes into Cambodia. That is one of the things (along with alcohol) that is way cheaper there.

In most of Cambodia, there are no supermarkets worth the name. In major cities, you can expect much the same as in Tops in Thailand, mostly at higher prices and fewer choices. The legacy French influence means that you can get some items (like good French cheeses) more easily than in Thailand (again, only in the cities).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

On cooking facilities, it will cost you a lot if you want a fully equipped kitchen. However, if you know what typical Thais use to cook their food, that is available for fairly cheap accommodation.

You do not want to bring cigarettes into Cambodia. That is one of the things (along with alcohol) that is way cheaper there.

In most of Cambodia, there are no supermarkets worth the name. In major cities, you can expect much the same as in Tops in Thailand, mostly at higher prices and fewer choices. The legacy French influence means that you can get some items (like good French cheeses) more easily than in Thailand (again, only in the cities).

I don't need a fully equipped kitchen just a basic gas stove, a fridge and a microwave. 

I need good cooking oil, olive oil, lard, pork, fish, chicken, full fat coconut milk, butter, some nuts and seeds, avocado, some cheese, Greek yogurt and I'm good ????

• Haha 1