Biden, DeSantis strike ceasefire as catastrophic Hurricane Ian rocks Florida

Scott

image.png

What a difference a hurricane makes.

Just a week ago, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a possible 2024 contender, trolled the country with the idea that he would fly migrants in Texas to Delaware near the home of President Biden. Biden, in a speech rallying congressional Democrats a few days earlier, derided the Republican governor’s migrant expulsions as “playing politics with humans, using them as props.”

Now the potential 2024 opponents are talking multiple times a day as they face the stunning devastation from Hurricane Ian, a deadly storm that left 2.5 million Floridians without power and inflicted damage that DeSantis described as “historic.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-de-santis-strike-ceasefire-as-catastrophic-ian-rocks-florida-202557679.html

YahooNews.jpg

This storm appears to have devastated big chunks of Florida.  I read a few months back that home insurance in Florida is a disaster, very few insurers left with premiums through the roof.  And this was before Ian.  Just curious what will happen to all those home owners if their insurance fails to make them whole and whether there will be much of a property insurance industry left in Florida.

Edited by Berkshire

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This storm appears to have devastated big chunks of Florida.  I read a few months back that home insurance in Florida is a disaster, very few insurers left with premiums through the roof.  And this was before Ian.  Just curious what will happen to all those home owners if their insurance fails to make them whole and whether there will be much of a property insurance industry left in Florida.

In that event expect an exit from Florida of many homeowners. Who would pay to rebuild when it could just get blown away again next year or sooner?

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In that event expect an exit from Florida of many homeowners. Who would pay to rebuild when it could just get blown away again next year or sooner?

I wonder.  Article just out....

[Hurricane Ian could cripple Florida's already-fragile homeowners insurance market. Experts say a major storm like Ian could push some of those insurance companies into insolvency, making it harder for people to collect on claims.]

[Industry analysts say years of rampant and frivolous litigation and scams have brought Florida's home-insurance market to its knees, with many large insurers like Allstate and State Farm, reducing their exposure to the state in the past decade.]

[Florida is already home to the highest insurance premiums in the U.S., something Charlie Crist, the former Florida governor running against incumbent Gov. Ron DeSantis, blames on his opponent.]

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/hurricane-ian-could-cripple-floridas-164500343.html

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You would thinks so. Rising sea levels now make flooding a regular occurence along much of the coast even in balmy weather when the moon is full. But that hasn't stopped people from moving there. Sooner or later, Florida will be mostly Everglades again. And even then I bet Floridians rather than leave will choose to live on rafts.

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You would thinks so. Rising sea levels now make flooding a regular occurence along much of the coast even in balmy weather when the moon is full. But that hasn't stopped people from moving there. Sooner or later, Florida will be mostly Everglades again. And even then I bet Floridians rather than leave will choose to live on rafts.

I like the raft idea.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If DeSantis eat humble pies and beg Washington for re-building aids, Florida got a chance. He will have to be friendly with Pelosi’s and Schemer too to get the house to pass the appropriation bills. Florida will be bankrupt by this hurricane. His $18 M political stunt now looks like karma and may cost him his political ambition. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Biden

The federal government will also cover the majority of the cost to rebuilding public buildings like schools and state fire stations.
And folks in Florida who have destroyed or damaged homes — if you don’t have enough insurance, it means the federal government will provide individual assistance of [up to] $37,900 for home repairs, another $37,900 for lost property — everything from an automobile to a lost wedding ring.  And that’s what we mean by “lost property.”

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/09/29/remarks-by-president-biden-on-hurricane-ian-and-ongoing-federal-response-efforts/

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

All Florida needs now is some immigrants to do the hard and dirty work of clean up.

I'm sure, at least as of 2016, Florida welcomes many more undocumented immigrants than blue, "rich" states. 

Edited by frantick
Grammar

11 hours ago, frantick said:

I'm sure, at least as of 2016, Florida welcomes many more undocumented immigrants than blue, "rich" states. 

In spite of all his rhetoric DeSantis doesn't punish people who employ undocumented immigrants, so of course the ones who want to work come to Florida.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, frantick said:

Floridians pay federal taxes, just like all other Americans. They're certainly entitled to a few FIMA bucks from the federal government for relief. Moreso than the war machine $65b given to Ukraine, for sure. 

And so was the Northeast after Hurricane Sandy. Desantis voted against that. As did most Republican members of the House and Senate.. What a bunch of lowlifes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

If DeSantis eat humble pies and beg Washington for re-building aids, Florida got a chance. He will have to be friendly with Pelosi’s and Schemer too to get the house to pass the appropriation bills. Florida will be bankrupt by this hurricane. His $18 M political stunt now looks like karma and may cost him his political ambition. 

I don't think the Democrats are going to hold aid as hostage. As I've remarked elsewhere, this is an opportunity to expose what a lowlife Desantis is by comparing his denial of aid in the wake of Hurricane Sandy to what the Democrats' response will be to this disaster.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

I don't think the Democrats are going to hold aid as hostage. As I've remarked elsewhere, this is an opportunity to expose what a lowlife Desantis is by comparing his denial of aid in the wake of Hurricane Sandy to what the Democrats' response will be to this disaster.

You really ought to mention Biden also has a history of with-holding aid money as leverage to get something he wanted. Does that make him a "lowlife" as you call Desantis for with-holding aid for leverage like Biden famously did? Just accusing others of doing this using abusive and derogatory terms, while secretly knowing your own chap did exactly the same is dishonest.

Desantis really stepped up to the plate with Hurricane Ian. Great exposure for him, and proving himself a strong steady hand to be relied on in hard times. Good to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

You really ought to mention Biden also has a history of with-holding aid money as leverage to get something he wanted. Does that make him a "lowlife" as you call Desantis for with-holding aid for leverage like Biden famously did? Just accusing others of doing this using abusive and derogatory terms, while secretly knowing your own chap did exactly the same is dishonest.

Desantis really stepped up to the plate with Hurricane Ian. Great exposure for him, and proving himself a strong steady hand to be relied on in hard times. Good to see.

First off, you ignore the point that most of the Republican House and Senate members voted against giving aid to the Northeast. So it's not just about Biden, or even mainly about Biden. As for Biden, please share with us these examples and how they compare to withholding emergency aid in the wake of a disaster. If you haven't got nothing, you've got next to nothing.

And there's also the previousladministration's shameful treatment of Puerto Rico after the disaster that was Hurricane Maria.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

"You really ought to mention Biden also has a history of with-holding aid money as leverage to get something he wanted."

You didn't think you were going to get away with posting that without being challenged to give examples, did you?

Regarding DeSantis' performance, he didn't do a disappearing act like Ted Cruz did when Texas was having a power crisis, but doing better than Ted Cruz is a low bar to overcome.  All DeSantis did was what any other Florida governor does during a hurricane.

We can expect DeSantis to go quiet on illegal immigrants for a while.  A great many of the people employed in the clean-up and rebuilding will be undocumented immigrants, and DeSantis won't want to draw attention to that fact.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, heybruce said:

We can expect DeSantis to go quiet on illegal immigrants for a while.  A great many of the people employed in the clean-up and rebuilding will be undocumented immigrants, and DeSantis won't want to draw attention to that fact.

That is a great point. I hope the media make that a prominent issue.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You didn't think you were going to get away with posting that without being challenged to give examples, did you?

Of course that recalcitrant poster will not come back with evidence. 

However what is stated fact is that over the last decades or so, an unsettling number of Republicans like Ted Crus, Tom Cotton and Paul Rand have voted against federal disaster aid packages and subsequently change a different posture when their constituents needed help. Trump not spared with him stopping relief aids to California wild fire and refused to increase funding to Puerto Rico after devastated by hurricane Fiona. Shameful lot. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Of course that recalcitrant poster will not come back with evidence. 

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

"You really ought to mention Biden also has a history of with-holding aid money as leverage to get something he wanted."

Well, seeing as I am being abused and called a liar for pointing out that BOTH Biden and Desantis with-held aid, I am forced to back up my assertion, at great risk(I think you guys know full well that Biden did what I said and expect/hope I will be banned for providing proof). 

Starts at 8 seconds in. 

https://www.wsj.com/video/opinion-joe-biden-forced-ukraine-to-fire-prosecutor-for-aid-money/C1C51BB8-3988-4070-869F-CAD3CA0E81D8.html

SO Placeholder, can we agree now that you see proof, that Desantis is not a "lowlife" for leveraging aid, or they both are? Lets have some honesty around here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Well, seeing as I am being abused and called a liar for pointing out that BOTH Biden and Desantis with-held aid, I am forced to back up my assertion, at great risk(I think you guys know full well that Biden did what I said and expect/hope I will be banned for providing proof). 

Starts at 8 seconds in. 

https://www.wsj.com/video/opinion-joe-biden-forced-ukraine-to-fire-prosecutor-for-aid-money/C1C51BB8-3988-4070-869F-CAD3CA0E81D8.html

SO Placeholder, can we agree now that you see proof, that Desantis is not a "lowlife" for leveraging aid, or they both are? Lets have some honesty around here.

More nonsense. Joe Biden was carrying out the policy of the United States and the European Union. when he was vice-President. And at the time that prosecutor was notoriously corrupt and defending the corrupt ruling class. This made giving aid extremely problematic.

As for Desantis, it's funny how someone who gets so incensed about illegal immigrants has no problem in screwing over his fellow Americans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Starts at 8 seconds in. 

Your example lacks merit.  DeSantis gave a big 'NO' and Biden simply put a condition on the aid that was then given.