Pros and Cons of getting legally married.

JayBird

Anyone know what the pros/cons of getting legally married to a long term thai-GF by a foreigner?

I understand there are some easier visa options (Marriage Visa, instead of say Retirement).  But let's say Visa issues are not an issue at all for the purpose of staying in Thailand.

Any other benefits (or cons) of getting legally married?

Thank you.

Well, if you intend to be with her for the long-term, then marry her and stop worrying about quantifiable benefits.  Seems a bit of a silly reason to make or break getting married to a lady if you ask me... but to answer your question, no there really aren't many benefits.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just ability to use marriage visa if a bit skint or under 50 yrs old.  No other advantage comes to mind.

Possibly some parental/visitation rights if having a kid together.  But TBH, if family doesn't want you around, then there is your safety to worry about.  Same with any imagined usufruct rights to remain in a house you paid for.

I'm happily married for the 4th time ????, though I did advise my daughter, to NEVER get married is she wants to be happy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

For people having worked in Switzerland, the widow is entitled to pension benefits after ≈5 years marriage. Therefore, my life expectancy will be at least 4 years more.

Painless Schengen visa for my wife, and most probably much easier for my wife to get other visas.

Hazzle free choice of domicile between Thailand and Switzerland, though this is not a reason in my case.

In addition, there are irrational romantic reasons for marriage. 

Still contemplating which reason has priority.

Edited by Klonko
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There are few benefits to getting married, There may be some regarding pension entitlement after ones death as another member mentioned , conversely you may just be setting yourself up for a nasty divorce., and "just walking away" may be more difficult.

Don't forget the definition of marriage  "  find someone you hate and buy them a house"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Upside

It makes Power of Attorney and Living Will administration simpler.

Improves her standing with relatives and in the community, yours too.

Makes overseas visa applications very slightly less complicated, along with staying in hotels not only here in Thailand (at times) but also in neighboring countries such as Laos.

Downside

You share liability if she does something crazy, 50% of all assets acquired during marriage.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:19 AM, nigelforbes said:

Upside

It makes Power of Attorney and Living Will administration simpler.

Improves her standing with relatives and in the community, yours too.

Makes overseas visa applications very slightly less complicated, along with staying in hotels not only here in Thailand (at times) but also in neighboring countries such as Laos.

Downside

You share liability if she does something crazy, 50% of all assets acquired during marriage.

Thai hotels don't require to see a marriage cert   who told you that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Thai hotels don't require to see a marriage cert   who told you that?

I never said they do, I said in Thailand (at times) but mostly other countries.

I've been married to a Thai for over 25 years and have encountered hotels, mostly in tourist areas, where the hotel has asked me to pay more because of "my guest".....it's been fun at times responding to such requests!

But in neighboring countries such as Laos it is illegal for unmarried foreigners to share their room with anyone other than a spouse.

So far, the tangible benefits I see are:

1) In the event that I am in the hospital unconscious, she should have some rights to dictate what the doctors do or do not do.  (Lawyer said there is no equivalent to a 'living will' here).

2) If, for whatever reason, I require a different Visa, I could go the marriage route.  However, that is not pressing to me.

3) I *think* it makes it easier to get a joint bank account (good to store cash in case of an emergency should one of us get hit by a truck for example).

4) In the event of a death, anything not covered by the will that is held in Thailand would automatically transfer to the Thai wife (good if you forget/miss something in the will).

The downsides I see are:

1) I think if married, the foreign spouse  can not get a Usfuruct/Lease on a house owned by the Thai national?

2) Held liable for actions done by the wife?

Note:

Not worried about kids, pensions, visas, or money.

Note 2:

I believe any assets held outside of Thailand are not claimable by a Thai spouse in the event of divorce?

(Note: I'm keeping romance out of this.  As far as I am concerned, in spirit, we are effectively married as we have been together for ever and no interest in parting.  And in some places it would already be common law).

Thank you all for the kind replies!

13 minutes ago, JayBird said:

1) In the event that I am in the hospital unconscious, she should have some rights to dictate what the doctors do or do not do.  (Lawyer said there is no equivalent to a 'living will' here).

2) If, for whatever reason, I require a different Visa, I could go the marriage route.  However, that is not pressing to me.

3) I *think* it makes it easier to get a joint bank account (good to store cash in case of an emergency should one of us get hit by a truck for example).

4) In the event of a death, anything not covered by the will that is held in Thailand would automatically transfer to the Thai wife (good if you forget/miss something in the will).

The downsides I see are:

1) I think if married, the foreign spouse  can not get a Usfuruct/Lease on a house owned by the Thai national?

Note:

Note 2:

I believe any assets held outside of Thailand are not claimable by a Thai spouse in the event of divorce?

(Note: I'm keeping romance out of this.  As far as I am concerned, in spirit, we are effectively married as we have been together for ever and no interest in parting.  And in some places it would already be common law).

Just correcting a couple of the positives:-

1. Living Wills do exists and, AFAIK are perfectly legal - but Thais are not that familiar with them.

4. It won't. Under Thai rules of intestacy she only automatically qualifies for half....there other classes of beneficiary.

5 hours ago, JayBird said:

Note 2:

(1)  30 year lease not possible if married (at least in Sattahip).

(2)  Under Swiss law, widow would be (co-) heir to Swiss real estate unless agreed upon otherwise (notarized). Other assets subject to last will.

8 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

But in neighboring countries such as Laos it is illegal for unmarried foreigners to share their room with anyone other than a spouse.

I think that particular law only applies to Lao women.

I took my Thai GF to Laos on a holiday a few years ago, nobody at the hotels said anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JayBird said:

The downsides I see are:

Note:

Note 2:

What nationality are you?

I am not married, for the very good reason if I was, Centrelink in Australia would reduce my pension to the couple's pension. As my Thai GF is not an Australian citizen, she would get nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...