45 day visa exempt - lots of questions asked at BKK airport

24 minutes ago, Big FranK said:

Even if i usually travel business class, i never go in the special line for luggage checking or immigration. Usually there are less people, so officials have plenty of time to go through your things and ask plenty of questions. Blending in the mass of travellers is always a better option.

In the past the fast track queue was seen as less problematic, maybe that's changed

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had same experience with lady IO on arrival visa exempt ten days ago at BKK international. First asked if I had visa, and I explained no as I will enter visa exempt. Thereafter careful examination of passport with recent entry stamp and extensions (extended because was unable to get Non O at Samui immigration as per my posts elsewhere). Then asked how long I planned to stay - answered 30 days. I was not asked to provide evidence of funds or onward flight.

The above was handled very politely by IO and is standard line of questioning in most countries, especially if you have a recent history of visits and extensions. In the past I've even been stopped by UK immigration (I'm a UK national) and asked how long I was planning to stay (I've resided overseas all my adult life).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It may come as a surprise to you but the "job" of every IO in the world is to establish the credibility of those trying to enter the country.

It is certainly not up to keyboard warriors to question how they do "their" job and just keep praying the Thais never take lessons from UK immigration.

The actions of Thai immigration officials are determined by Thai law, not some universal natural law. The fact is that the Thai Immigration Act establishes significantly different rules to those you are used to with most other countries.

As it happens, while I still believe the actions of the official was over the top in the OP's case, her scrutiny was not as offensive as it would have been had the OP had a visa. With a visa exemption, the immigration official takes the place of a consular official in determining whether the qualifications for entry as a tourist are met.

That said, do not assume that Thai immigration officials have the same broad discretion that US customs and border control agents have. They operate within totally different legal frameworks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Conrad65 said:

The above was handled very politely by IO and is standard line of questioning in most countries, especially if you have a recent history of visits and extensions

The questions ask of you are not what was asked of the OP.

BTW. He did not have recent history in Thailand. Had not been in Thailand for two years.

Funny how couple of the questions that were asked such as address in Thailand etc are fields on the tm6 which has been suspended.

The reason given "to speed up process times at airports"

My point....why weren't you asked for your phone number etc.

From the OP.....

"Then asked about 5 questions, like how long you plan to stay, what do you do for work, which hotel you stay at, do you haveThai friends here, and she wanted the phone number of one Thai friend, which she entered into the computer, plus also my number."

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP had not been in Thailand for TWO years.

No questions were required.

Certainly not the ones outlined by the OP.

Not for you to decide.

People have big toes here some times it might have well been intended as a friendly chat. Even if it wasn't, answer them and move on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Here's the issue.  You, like most of us, have a history here.  ED stamps, Work Permit stamps, etc........

and there is still a chance they don't want you here.   one wrong answer, denied.  they don't care about your past, maybe they don't believe it...

yea, it's a bad feeling (happened to me once) and this just means this place isn't home.  

Never had a problem in 40 years

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Try and fly in during a premier league football match. When I came in last weekend at BKK, the IO was just tuning his personal tablet in to watch a match live whilst briefly checking my pp. and stamping me in.

Hi Im Ivan Milat no worries go in

The only question I have is this: If it’s ‘visa exempt’ why is the lane leading to it called ‘Visa on Arrival’. It can’t be both. Expats know what it means, but tourists might be confused. 

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Nonsense.

From the OP......

"Arrived back after over 2 years not being here."

Over the top questions from the io..

Nonsense.   You think that the IO didn't notice his multiple METVs and ED visa.  Perfectly normal and justifiable questions from Immigration.

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The female IOs have previous of being difficult, avoid when you have the choice. Now you've got through, forget about it

I was once on 4 days overstay and had the 2,000 baht ready in my shirt pocket, but the FEMALE IO was just not focused enough to count the days correctly. She never even saw I were on overstay and simply just stamped me out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1