Big C now requiring passport proof of identity for credit card use from farang shoppers?

elena edwards

have been using both KTC and KRUNGSRI credit cards in various supermarkets around Thailand since 2011 and they have never asked for any proof of identity...…

Lately been using the Uchoose app from KRUNGSRI Bank I don't even need to carry/show the credit card as through the app you can scan for the credit card payment (QR CODE) which often confuses the cashier as they prepare a money transfer/prompt pay scan (QR CODE) that is different to a credit card scan payment (QR CODE).

As previously someone said "There's no way I'd produce any ID (even my Pink ID, Driving license etc.) to show check out girls whilst shopping"

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Most Thai people think of farang ID as their passport, if you have a Thai driving license that nearly always is sufficient.

i quite often have to go into government buildings and am supposed to leave my passport with security on arrival, (sorry, but no way!) i have an expired uk driving license that i give them, they always accept it.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, userabcd said:

I'm sure Big C are just being cautious, I think no drama required to show ones passport.

Real question is:

Do Thais have to show their ID when making a purchase using a card? Never happened to me (Yet).

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I do, and have done so for the past 20 years, whilst living in Thailand, Laos and Myanmar.  I have never lost it, forgot it or been robbed of it ????

<deleted> that can be a pain in the <deleted>!

Ps. Loving the censorship ???? 

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

That's odd. I was there about 3 hours ago and paid with American Express. No ID was requested. I shop there regularly and have never been asked for ID. I do give my telephone number as there is always some discount given for members.

Finding anywhere in LOS that accept AMEX is as rare as Rocking Horse <deleted> so fair play to BigC. At least, airline mileage/hotel points are credited.

5 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Not long before they will want ID for cash acceptance too. Then no cash transactions. Great Reset anyone?

In London, more places will no longer accept cash.

It is so much easier without cash .

Just hold you plastic card against a reader, wait a few seconds for a beep and that's it , transaction carried out .

No need to carry cash around these days 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just hold you plastic card against a reader, wait a few seconds for a beep and that's it , transaction carried out .

Yes. Agreed. But isn't the topic of this thread about Thai acceptance of a foreigner's card requiring proof of identity? Are they using contactless for foreigners withought having to show passports/ID?  

27 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Real question is:

Do Thais have to show their ID when making a purchase using a card? Never happened to me (Yet).

I think some Big C do ask for Thai ID when buying big-ticket things like TVs, 

this is a managers' discretion thing that's probably against the terms of accepting credit cards to begin with

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the cashier is desperate to be noticed by her colleagues…like so many of you here I see publicly desperately wanting to be noticed by other. foreigners. It really does have a goofy look, a goofy insecure eyesore look.

Edited by 0james0

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Until somebody in a vast banking conglomerate or a government flips the wrong switch & it goes poof....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

It might have just been a prompt built into the system to see if your ppt is up to date assuming you have a big c card which of course you do.

It could also be on occasion they will offer a discount to you based upon the $$ you've accrued. You need your ppt general6yo get that discount.

Relax

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just let corporations track the time, date, location, object, quantity of purchase that's all..

You are hilarious

Not to mention cash is 2x faster.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BonMot said:

Just let corporations track the time, date, location, object, quantity of purchase that's all..

You are hilarious

who cares?  or are you buying meth lab materials?

But putting your cards into your Thai bank app and Apple wallet are also great back ups and time savers.

Apple wallet has been a godsend since my banks cannot seem to be able to ship cards out this way.  Do I use my home country cards much here?  No.  But I do like to have access to them.

Now, am I with the governments who are trying to eliminate cash?  HE LL NO.  That's the end of freedom in my book.  But having both options is great.  

...or in this case, 4 options:  cash, card, app, and card inphone/app

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, mancub said:

Home Pro requested passport just to redeem Bt250 worth of points . Went back a week or so later (chuffed at remembering my passport) to be told the points had since expired !

That's fair though, without the passport, anyone who knew your phone number could have redeemed your points instead of you

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, mancub said:

Home Pro requested passport just to redeem Bt250 worth of points . Went back a week or so later (chuffed at remembering my passport) to be told the points had since expired !

Would they not accept your Thai Drivers licence as proof of ID in such circumstances ???? 

They insisted on Passport ???

Sometimes Thai’s say ‘passport’ when what they really mean is any form of photo ID... perhaps this was the case ?

3 hours ago, BonMot said:

You are hilarious

Why should I be concerned that I its been recorded that went out to ASDA last night and bought a pizza for 3.49 at 7.29 PM?

Why would anyone care about when and where I buy food from ?

I will be going out today at 2 PM for buy a Taco Bells for 5.49

Like, who on Earth will be concerned about knowing that ?

Also, cards are much quicker and convenient than cash , not to mention being cleaner and healthier 

• Like 1