2 minutes ago, FarangRimPing said:

Several people here imply that using 'long term stay' for a reason of the transfer is the cause of the problem. I believe it is A cause, but not the sole cause. I ALWAYS use 'for general expenses' and it is still taking a long time. Maybe it's a problem with SCB. 

american banks are a different problem. 

This topic is about UK transfers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just tried sending 1kGBP (7:10am), selected "Long term stay in Thailand" ........ ETA 17th.

Cancelled and sent again using "General Expenses" .... in my BKB account instantly.

So it's the Long Term Stay option causing the delay.

@Moonlover & @PPGuy thanks for pointing out the 43 rate, too good to miss!

I did a transfer around 09:30 this morning after noticing the GBP jumped up. I put "travel expenses" as the reason. Told will arrive on 17th.

I just cancelled a Wize payment I first advised them that I wanted to send money from the nz to them on Thursday night 9 pm they got the money 8 am Friday they then told me that it will be processed on Monday. Today Friday I cancelled it for the nz has had a move up b4 they offered me 21.2 to the nz $ today it hit 21.6 so I will look at the rate on Monday at this moment in time nz gets 21.55 They had not processed the conversion and they told me that I will get the full amount refunded no fees included.

Happy days

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

american banks are a different problem. 

This topic is about UK transfers. 

Sorry, I didn't see that in the subject line.

I guess we should go by the first post, which was about Wise not guaranteeing an exchange rate for GBP. Everything else is off topic.

Edited by FarangRimPing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

I did a transfer around 09:30 this morning after noticing the GBP jumped up. I put "travel expenses" as the reason. Told will arrive on 17th.

There also seemed to be a top limit of 50,000 THB to get the instant transfer (I experienced this with GBP to BBL) even when the reason for the transfer reason would previously have given a quick transfer.  Not a lot of reports of this, but if yours was 50,000 THB or more that may have been the reason.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:12 PM, TingTawng said:

On the subject of Wise, I just made a transfer from GBP (UK bank) to THB (my Thai bank).  The estimated time was "seconds".  OK, great.  Then when I made the transaction, I'm now told it won't appear for FIVE DAYS.  Anyone else experiencing / experienced this?

The email literally says "We’ll pay out your money shortly. And it should be there October 17. " - my definition of "shortly" is not 5 days.

It´s shorter than 6 days. ???? 

On the subject of Wise, I just made a transfer from GBP (UK bank) to THB (my Thai bank).  The estimated time was "seconds".  OK, great.  Then when I made the transaction, I'm now told it won't appear for FIVE DAYS.  Anyone else experiencing / experienced this?

The email literally says "We’ll pay out your money shortly. And it should be there October 17. " - my definition of "shortly" is not 5 days.

I have a Wise Borderless account and I transferred GBP 730 at 5;

15 pm this evening. by the time that I had completed the paperwork which took me 3 or 4 minutes, Wise told me that it would be in my BBK account at 2;13 on Monday.

Thai banks are closed at the weekends and Thai public and today is a public holiday.

;

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, billd766 said:
On 10/13/2022 at 7:27 AM, KannikaP said:

But I can still do a bank to bank transfer on my phone app on those days.

So the computers are not on holiday.

57 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But can you do an international transfer when the Thai banks are closed?

All of my Wise transfers take place around 6:15 am, well before normal banking hours and at least 90% of them arrive instantly. And I've also just done one this morning and we all know it's a holiday. So yes, you can.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Trying to xfer from my US bank to Thailand.

Wise started using a service called Plaid for security confirmation.

The 1st time they just did micro deposit confirmations.

The 2nd time they required facial recognition and a front/back pic of government issued ID

(US drivers license).

The 3rd time they required my bank USERNAME and PASSWORD.

I immediately logged out. This just started after years of trouble-free use.

1) Anybody else have to use Plaid? 

2) Is this a scam/virus?

On my end, I did get a Thai phone and my US banks do not allow that phone number so I can't get One Time Passwords. 

Also, I use a VPN.

*I only submitted to facial recognition and ID pics due to urgent concerns over the banking system. 

Edited by ding

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Apparently YES, if you do not put the reason as Long Term Stay.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 6:50 AM, Moonlover said:

I've just had the same experience this morning. Funds into my Krungsri account in seconds. @proton reference your comment above. If you look back up to the post by @Ting Tawng you will see that he was the one who reported that his payment is delayed and he clearly says GBP (UK Bank). So I disagree with your comment about 'countries other than UK'. 

I agree with @PPGuy that the reason for transfer than one chooses does influence the speed. It seems that those who choose 'funds for long term stay' in order to ensure a TFF code on their account, must wait until normal banking hours. And as we know it's holiday time here.

Many different experiences...I used "Purchase of Property" - just in case! - to ensure a FTT code...same as Long Term Stay (I think).  Arrived in seconds.  Could be the difference is actually the receiving bank - mine into Kasikorn whihc is,along the Bangkok, one of Wise's partner banks I believe, which may the reason others (to SCB etc) are taking longer.

PH

On 10/13/2022 at 7:27 AM, KannikaP said:

But I can still do a bank to bank transfer on my phone app on those days.

So the computers are not on holiday.

No, but incoming funds will sit at the BOT if they arrive during a bank holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wise has certainly slowed down, whether intermittant or countinuous only time will tell.

I have been making a payment from the UK to a company in Canada 4 times a year for a couple of years and the payment has always been within minutes.

When I did  it again last Tuesday morning Wise said it would arrive by the end of Thursday, taking the time difference into account that would be 3 days.

On the Friday morning I got a message to say the transaction had been completed.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:54 PM, TingTawng said:

Well I was promised a transaction in "seconds" according to their website.  On completing the transaction, they've told me 17th October.  I've been using TransferWise since 2016 regularly (several times a week).  This is the first time I've seen such a discrepancy in transaction times.

I've had that a few times, which as far as I'm concerned is misrepresentation. I've also been told the money will be there in 2-3 days and it's shown up instantly. There are things in the world we are not meant to understand - more and more as the world goes digital.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:
14 hours ago, billd766 said:

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Apparently YES, if you do not put the reason as Long Term Stay.

I have said that several times in this and other threads. But the evidence has all been anecdotal. However I have now sent a clear message to Wise asking them to give us a definitive answer on this matter. I shall 'banner headline' it when I receive an answer from them.

I have also asked them why the 'transaction document' is now 3 pages long, providing the same information that 1 page used to. As if we don't already have enough paper to cart down to immigration. I'll need a wheelbarrow before too long!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

A while back, in order to prove beyond all doubt, I did two transfers for £250 each, to my Bkk Bank, one for general living expenses and the other for long term stay.

The first was instant and the second arrived, as usual, at 14.03 the next day as an FTT, foreign transfer.

End of story for me.

Yup, there's only one financial genius I can think of on here who continually spouts otherwise.

1)  He's with the wrong bank to test it.

2)  My parrot has more financial savvy than him going by his posts here and elsewhere.

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

All of my Wise transfers take place around 6:15 am, well before normal banking hours and at least 90% of them arrive instantly. And I've also just done one this morning and we all know it's a holiday. So yes, you can.

I live in Thailand so I do mine in Thai time. I generally get notified in the afternoons and transfer from Wise then. Any transfer I make on a Friday does not arrive until Monday about 2 pm.

Unfortunately my state pension always arrivers every 4th Friday,

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I live in Thailand so I do mine in Thai time. I generally get notified in the afternoons and transfer from Wise then. Any transfer I make on a Friday does not arrive until Monday about 2 pm.

That does not make sense.

I make a lot of transfers and whether it is a Friday, a Sunday, or a bank holiday, the money is invariably in Kasikorn  within 6 seconds. A bank's opening hours are irrelevant to a WISE transfer.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

What has the day your state Pension arrives got to do with it?

Unless you are living from that day until the next pension day.

Edited by KannikaP

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What has the day your state Pension arrives got to do with it?

Unless you are living from that day until the next pension day.

I think it because it always arrives (in WISE) on a Friday (28 day cycle) and, for whatever reason, his WISE transfers to Thailand don't arrive until Monday ie he will always be disadvantaged by the Friday receipt. 

The issue should actually be about why the WISE transfer is not credited immediately.

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

I think it because it always arrives (in WISE) on a Friday (28 day cycle) and, for whatever reason, his WISE transfers to Thailand don't arrive until Monday ie he will always be disadvantaged by the Friday receipt. 

The issue should actually be about why the WISE transfer is not credited immediately.

So why not wait until Monday to send it.