Russian on Samui Island caught with two years of overstay, tried to flee from Immigration police

webfact

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think the Phuket Express needs to find an English-writer who actually understands English. The opening paragraph is appalling.

Reminded me of this classic:

"There's a fleck on the speck on the tail
On the frog on the bump on the branch
On the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea"

13 hours ago, ronster said:

I still never understand why they make such a deal out of this .

Fair enough if she was some criminal on the run from another country , drug dealer , up to some scam etc . But foreigners here can’t claim anything from the country as far as I’m aware so they aren’t taking anything from the country or people.
Yes there may be the odd one working as a bar manager , dj or builder etc , but they will usually be working for themselves or in a job that requires a foreigner to deal with customers on a better basis language wise and their boss or themselves can’t be bothered sorting work permit .
Having proof of money in bank for 3 months or whatever proves what ? Doesn’t mean they will spend it the following year in the country or it’s even theirs ! 
Just mostly hoop jumping nonsense to give people a simple job and make it complicated and make them feel like they have power !

Hmm...maybe there should be no rules because some people behave properly.. or maybe the rules should be enforced based on the person? 

What world do you live in??? Someone is on overstay breaking the law and because you think they are good that it should be ok?  What if they work illegally (oh you condone that already) ?

Thailand 20 years ago they were very relaxed on overstayers.  However, then you have all the criminal elements looking at laxed rules and then what do you have mafia types moving in, kinda like it was in the mid to late 90's 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ronster said:

never understand why they make such a deal out of this

Where are you from, some undesirable country like Afghanistan that no one wants to go.

It is a Big Bloody deal, you need to Understand. 

Every swinging Dick wants to live in Thailand. 

Thailand makes rules and regulations for us foreigners, I reckon it's simple and easy to stay here, Thailand has been my home for over 20 years. 

It's the Riff Raff we don't want in Thailand. 

Where I was born, my home country, Australia is popular with overstayers/illegal immigrants etc. we (the government) spend a lot of money keeping these unwelcome people out. 

You want to stay in Thailand, do it legally, it's a straightforward and an uncomplicated process. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

18 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

Why not? People have been overstaying on COVID extensions for years. All she had to do is ask.

I don't think you understand what the definition of "overstay"

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You want to stay in Thailand, do it legally, it's a straightforward and an uncomplicated process. 

if you're over 50 or married...

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

However, then you have all the criminal elements looking at laxed rules and then what do you have mafia types moving in, kinda like it was in the mid to late 90's 

Like it was mid to late 90’s ?

You need get out more , the place is full of criminals all up to shady stuff or just big criminals who have that much money they just pay everyone in places to ignore them !

Bit of a difference between these types and a woman sitting having a cup of tea in a cheap rented house vs mr money laundering king in his 60 million bht villa .

It is possible that whoever reported her did have a legitimate reason for concern, i.e., panhandling, alcoholism, scrounging for food, signs of mental or physical deterioration, disorientation, etc. While immigration ultimately got involved, the article doesn't say authorities were alerted because of suspected visa irregularities.

Edited by Gecko123

11 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Over 50, married, or very wealthy, then.

Better?

Why on earth would Thailand want poor foreigners living here. 

There's enough poverty. 

Your comments don't make any sense. ????

I read a comment recently on one the AN threads, a foreigner, he bragged about stealing money from bar girls purses.

Lots of woeful, deplorable, horrible stories about poor foreigners and their unspeakable acts living here in Thailand. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

7 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why on earth would Thailand want poor foreigners living here. 

There's enough poverty. 

You said that getting a visa was an  "easy and straightforward process". You didn't add in any provisions.

Besides which, not being able to afford an Elite visa does not automatically make you poor. Just as with intelligence, there are different levels.

"Read a comment recently on one the AN threads, a foreigner, he bragged about stealing money from bar girls purses."

Ah.... That changes everything. A story you read from somebody else talking about a single 3rd party getting up to no good is absolutely sufficient evidence to prove somebody who can't afford an elite visa is a threat to society.

"Your comments don't make any sense."

I can only guess that either English isn't your first language, or you simply expect people to understand all the nuances of your views without the need for you to actually have to state them in the first place.

13 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I can only guess that either English isn't your first language

13 minutes ago, JayClay said:

expect people to understand all the nuances of your views

More nonsense, worthless comments. 

You're just antagonizing now, I said I was born in Australia, it's you with the poor education that doesn't understand that English is the spoken and first language of Australia.

Why are you being so hostile? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

15 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You're just antagonizing now, I said I was born in Australia, it's you with the poor education that doesn't understand that English is the spoken and first language of Australia

Looking back it seems that you did say that. It must be the second issue then.

"Why are you being so hostile?"

I'm not hostile; I just pointed out an error in your statement. Don't take it personally, I just have more time on my hands today than usual.... ????????‍♂️

On 10/10/2022 at 8:14 AM, Iamfalang said:

They are sending a message to the island(s).

What's the intended result though?  Once you're on overstay, you're on overstay.  Even if this woman made it to the airport, she'd still end up blacklisted for however long.

I think it's more about publicity.  "Look how great we are protecting you from these nasty foreigners."  Hence the huge billboards whenever they catch any foreigner doing anything slightly bad.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, Hakuna Matata said:

Many foreigners are overstaying in Thailand because they are escaping police investigation in their own country. Getting rid of such people in Thailand can certainly make life in Thailand safer. Because many of them are involved in various illegal activities in Thailand.

If you were an elderly Russian lady you would probably take the risk as well!! Much better quality of life in Thailand unless you are well off financially. Your comment is hardly relevant to the old ladies situation is it and thats the topic here!!!