Australian Dollar is collapsing

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

Sigh.  Nationalism wont displace the economic realities that are currently unfolding.  Two things are a certainty moving forward:

1. The AUD is toast

2. The Australian residential property market is toast

If any single external country enters the Ukraine conflict you can amend my above statements to badly burnt toast.

What if u wrong?

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Welfare state. 2m on the dole. 8m getting money for having kids. Public servants shuffling paper. Crazy system where you wait for gp for basic script. Cant buy alcohol after 9pm in most places. Hopeless pm who spends billions on rubbish.

If it wasnt for iron ore and coal the country be stuffed!!!

Australia is now a basket case. They kicked the housing crash can down the road so many times...but this is the big one.  Hang on and batton down your hatches.

4 minutes ago, itsari said:

Australian economy depends on commodity prices which are suppressed by the slow meltdown of the Chinese economy .

Worse to come 

No disagreement about the Chinese economy but commodities are priced in USD so the mining companies are laughing all the way to the bank (with the help of the RBA). The problem will be if USD collapses over the next couple of years as some American commentators are suggesting.

1 minute ago, GreasyFingers said:

No disagreement about the Chinese economy but commodities are priced in USD so the mining companies are laughing all the way to the bank (with the help of the RBA). The problem will be if USD collapses over the next couple of years as some American commentators are suggesting.

Not logic what you say.

Just pay less US dollars for the commodity .

...Sadly This Appears To Be Global...

...Can't Blame The Climate...And Can't Blame The 'Common Folk' On This One...

...Problem is...Nobody Will Be Blamed Or Held Accountable...

...As Heads Of State Are Being Replaced....

...In A Timely Manner...

...Played God For 2 Years...Had Local Police Bashing Locals To 'Conform'...

...By The Way...That Was The 'Common Folks' ' Money That Was Used Up...

...In The Name Of An 'Emergency'...

...Doesn't Add Up Now Though... Does It...(?)

...6.2 Trillion Dollars Of Wealth 'Changed Hands' These Past 2 Years...

*(Don't Know If That Is Globally Or For The U.S.A. Alone)

*(All Nations Had Similar Occurrences)

...So The Money Has Gone Somewhere.....

...Some People Will Be Just Fine...

...Others Will Be Lucky To Be Able To Feed Their Families...Pay The Electric Bill...Buy Gasoline....

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The AUD was close to 25 to the baht recently, now 23.6. About an 8% decline, I would not call it a collapse.

Statistically, one needs 7 data points in a row to call a significant trend. Some posters seem to be content with one.

As the pension I get from Centrelink has increased by 4.5% recently, I am not too concerned. The Australian economy is strong compared to basket cases like the UK.

I've seen the AUD fluctuate in the 12 years I have been here, yawn.

Can you get full pension in Thailand or part?

14 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Advice for you don't live in Thailand I get full pension in Australia plus plus plus and I lost all my super when I moved to Thailand and I live very well on my pension in Australia

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Sigh.  Nationalism wont displace the economic realities that are currently unfolding.  Two things are a certainty moving forward:

1. The AUD is toast

2. The Australian residential property market is toast

If any single external country enters the Ukraine conflict you can amend my above statements to badly burnt toast.

Sigh. Australia is in a much better position than most, mate, that's the point. "in the land of the blind, the 1 eyed man is king"

The Australian residential market is toast was first heard by me in 1981 when I bought my house in Brisbane for 35k. Sold last year (not mine anymore) for 1.2 mil.

Try a glass half full attitude sometime. 

$1 AUD to the Thb has  ranged between 20 to 25 baht for around the last 5 years.  From 25 down to 20 baht that was a 20% increase in the cost of living here in Thailand.  

That 5 baht range makes a 1000 Baht cost from $40 to $50 AUD. 

If it drops to previous lows of 18-19 Baht to 1AUD, it becomes expensive here (for me).  Wasn't fun with 25-30% cost increase. Lot of boring months spent indoors then (felt like I was back in Oz LOL). 

inbound8691141873161132150.thumb.jpg.04fef20d001ef1659f618e1e5a2560d7.jpgI suppose it's possible it may cycle back down that way and test the March 2020 COVID low if there are more major negative macroeconomic hits. 

It has been in a nice uptrend  since the COVID crash.  

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I get close to the full base pension, a friend of mine in CM gets the full base pension. I don't get supplements such as utilities and rent assistance, which is fair enough. Rent and electricity here is far cheaper anyway.

My son's electricity bill last month was over $400, mine combined for the house and condo was $50.

Edited by Lacessit

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I get close to the full base pension, a friend of mine in CM gets the full base pension. I don't get supplements such as utilities and rent assistance, which is fair enough. Rent and electricity here is far cheaper anyway.

In 20 years time I wonder if that applies. Probably not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, still kicking said:

Advice for you don't live in Thailand I get full pension in Australia plus plus plus and I lost all my super when I moved to Thailand and I live very well on my pension in Australia

" I lost all my super when I moved to Thailand".

Doesn't take Einstein to work out how that happened.

If you still own a roof over your head in Oz, a full pension gives a reasonable lifestyle, although I suspect skyrocketing costs will change that. If you are renting, 50-60% of the age pension will go in rent alone.

Your advice is noted, as I have been living very comfortably in Thailand for 12 years now I'd say I did things differently here.