Thailand believes condemnation will reduce chances of resolving conflict in Ukraine

webfact

7 minutes ago, superal said:

Also , let us not forget that the voice of Thailand is by way of a military government and the vote to abstain was made by the Thailand foreign minister who is also the deputy P.M.  

So the country of Thailand is not a democracy and political decisions are not necessarily the wish of the Thai people . But that opens another can of worms .  

Well I suppose the vast majority of Thais are apolitical on foreign policy and also the Thai government in all its "wisdom" has invited in Kremlin propagandists to broadcast here in Thailand. So although I haven't seen surveys, I reckon if there were such surveys that Kremlin propaganda would have infected the people here to a significant degree. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Agree totally, except for "Seems that we could be on the brink of nuclear war...".

Not "seems", the world IS on the brink of nuclear war.

Yet this will be ignored by 95% of the posters here.

Could there be a clearer example of being fully propagandized?

The risk is definitely up there and hasn't been this high since the Cuban missile crisis and it was quite high back then to the point where it was really really close to actually happening because of a miscommunication.

As back then, neither side actually wants full nuclear war. 

But once the insidious ladder of escalation gets going, irrational things can much more easily happen.

Putin doesn't want nuclear war and the west certainly doesn't either.  

Putin is using the threat of starting to use nukes to intimidate Ukraine and the west to give it all up. 

That won't work and he must know that.

So he's definitely playing with fire.

To quantify the specific risk is impossible though. 

That said there is a big difference between now and then.

Back then it was MAD or nothing.

Now the supposed option of a limited nuclear attack is in the conversation with the presumption that won't lead to MAD.

That's very dangerous thinking because it probably would lead to MAD.

Probably scenario if Putin starts.

Some kind of limited use.

The west responds with massive power without nukes.

Then Putin responds. He would have already used nukes. How could he do something less in response?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, anandra said:

you should have prepared yourself, reading history,

Puleeze it is your comprehension of my post that is lacking period.

Go read the pdf I posted it is from OUR history.

A Speech to the U.S. House of Representatives on Foreign Policy (July 4, 1821) by John Quincy Adams

"If" you can understand it only then will you understand my post.... if not no problem either

I am not here for your opinion nor to change it. Only to give mine alone

https://loveman.sdsu.edu/docs/1821secofstateJQAdmas.pdf

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Reading this thread I find it quite astonishing how naive and gullible many posters are.

The situation and the background of the conflict in Ukraine is not just black and white, bad and good. There are many shades of grey!

I never was a friend of Putin, but how about the US and the Western so called "democracies"?

Okay, there never was the incident of Tonkin in Vietnam, and everything the US did there was good without any doubt.

Sure, Grenada was a thread to the US, there was no other choice than to bomb it.

And of course, it was absolutely necessary to bomb Panama just to catch the criminal Manual Noriega.

And Saddam Hussein surely had these weapons of mass distruction. I read it in Western media, so it must be true. I always believe Western media and propaganda!

And of course, the West never promised not to expand NATO to the east after the reunification of Germany.

Surely, Ukraine forces have not been killing civilians, women and children in the Donbass, they never did. 

And it's pure phantasy that the US build 26 bio-weapon laboratories in the Ukraine. The US never would do this.

As the US are always the good!

During the Kuba crisis, they couldn't accept soviet nukes in Cuba, which was good. But as Russia is always bad, now the Russians must accept the NATO a few hundred kilometres away from Moscow.

And of course brainwashing and propaganda only exists in Putins Russia.

Kudos to Thailand for staying neutral in this mess!

You seem to "conveniently" forget that the US is only about 50 Miles from Russia!! ....Stop watching RT ....and BTW is Cuba!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well I suppose the vast majority of Thais are apolitical on foreign policy and also the Thai government in all its "wisdom" has invited in Kremlin propagandists to broadcast here in Thailand. So although I haven't seen surveys, I reckon if there were such surveys that Kremlin propaganda would have infected the people here to a significant degree. 

Actually , mostly Thailand is an insular country with little knowledge of world affairs among the majority of its non-wealthy population . Indeed there is only sparse media coverage on the Russian / Ukraine war .  I have not heard of any Russian propaganda within Thailand , why would there be and to what ends ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Reading this thread I find it quite astonishing how naive and gullible many posters are.

The situation and the background of the conflict in Ukraine is not just black and white, bad and good. There are many shades of grey!

I never was a friend of Putin, but how about the US and the Western so called "democracies"?

Okay, there never was the incident of Tonkin in Vietnam, and everything the US did there was good without any doubt.

Sure, Grenada was a thread to the US, there was no other choice than to bomb it.

And of course, it was absolutely necessary to bomb Panama just to catch the criminal Manual Noriega.

And Saddam Hussein surely had these weapons of mass distruction. I read it in Western media, so it must be true. I always believe Western media and propaganda!

And of course, the West never promised not to expand NATO to the east after the reunification of Germany.

Surely, Ukraine forces have not been killing civilians, women and children in the Donbass, they never did. 

And it's pure phantasy that the US build 26 bio-weapon laboratories in the Ukraine. The US never would do this.

As the US are always the good!

During the Kuba crisis, they couldn't accept soviet nukes in Cuba, which was good. But as Russia is always bad, now the Russians must accept the NATO a few hundred kilometres away from Moscow.

And of course brainwashing and propaganda only exists in Putins Russia.

Kudos to Thailand for staying neutral in this mess!

Ignoring the off topic whataboutism for days, you have posted blatant conspiracy theory misinformation referring to the nonexistent "biolabs" in Ukraine. Marjorie Taylre Greene thanks you. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, superal said:

Actually , mostly Thailand is an insular country with little knowledge of world affairs among the majority of its non-wealthy population . Indeed there is only sparse media coverage on the Russian / Ukraine war .  I have not heard of any Russian propaganda within Thailand , why would there be and to what ends ? 

It's here. You just haven't noticed. Thailand's government wants to position itself to the Russian government as friendly to Russia for economic reasons while still enjoying a superficial pose of neutrality to the west. That's how they roll. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Siam avoided being colonised by skillfully portraying itself as a neutral player between the French in Laos and Cambodia, and the British in India/Burma and Malaya.  However it then miscalculated by accomodating Japan in WW2,  and now Thailand/Prayut have further miscalculated in this case, given the appalling atrocities committed by the Russian military in Ukraine. It appears the diplomatic skills of Thailand's forefathers nl longer exist. Self-interest and greed now take precedence.

• Love It 2

5 minutes ago, mania said:

Puleeze it is your comprehension of my post that is lacking period.

Go read the pdf I posted it is from OUR history.

A Speech to the U.S. House of Representatives on Foreign Policy (July 4, 1821) by John Quincy Adams

"If" you can understand it only then will you understand my post.... if not no problem either

I am not here for your opinion nor to change it. Only to give mine alone

https://loveman.sdsu.edu/docs/1821secofstateJQAdmas.pdf

I do not care what they say at the US governement, I care that russian nazis have been destroying the ukrainians for centuries. The US has nothing to do with it, when russia attacked Ukraine in 2014 the world kept their mouth shut just expressing their deep concern, Trust me if Ukraine had not had success at the beginning of the war, no one would care helping them. Do not post russian nonsens about the US. No one cares about those funny stories, the examples how America attacked Iraq, Vietnam  or had wars with aborigenes 200 years ago. Now we have russian imperialist nazis and Ukraine.. Ukraine would have fight even if  nobody would have sent any weapns to them, is it so hard to use brain thinking about it .Even now in Europe there hundreds of leaders bribed by russia, Merkel is one of them, who still wants peace with russia.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, pavloh said:

Putin goal is has and is to Denazify Ukraine and disarm. The Minsk agreements ratified by the UN we destroyed by the US and UK. There was a agreement made in Turkey a couple of months ago until BOJO went to Ukraine and destroyed it.

The west wants war 

are you blind

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Have comfort that you have Syria, Nicaragua, Belarus, and North Korea on your side. In the meantime keep on promoting Putin's favourite nuclear narrative to instill fear in you.

"Have comfort that you have Syria, Nicaragua, Belarus, and North Korea on your side."

Straw Man.

Nothing to do with the issue being discussed.

"In the meantime keep on promoting Putin's favourite nuclear narrative to instill fear in you."

Fallout falls sideways too.

Nuclear War is the end of the world.

It is of grave concern to people all over the world.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"Have comfort that you have Syria, Nicaragua, Belarus, and North Korea on your side."

Straw Man.

Nothing to do with the issue being discussed.

"In the meantime keep on promoting Putin's favourite nuclear narrative to instill fear in you."

Fallout falls sideways too.

Nuclear War is the end of the world.

To blithely ignore that so you can continue forum posturing and playing "Keyboard Commander" is insanity.

Yes MAD would be the end but I don't get your point.

It is Putin and Putin alone who is openly threatening a first nuclear strike, albeit a smaller one.

It's well understood that once you go down that path, a vicious escalation ladder follows, which indeed risks MAD.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, petey123 said:

reading the above comments, it is clear how effective the intensive "western" propaganda machine has been.    this war with its increasing death and destruction can be laid squarely at the feet of the empire of lies and its puppetry.    the nazi-influenced regime had been conducting wholesale slaughter of russians living in the east of that corrupt country since 2014 and v. putin finally decided it had to end.   he had stated late last year that war could be avoided if the empire/puppetry gave up their plan to push nato up to the russian border by inviting ukraine to join and if the latter allowed limited autonomy to its russian-speaking citizens, per the minsk agreement.    the arrogant parties of the "west"  refused to even talk, seeing the ukraine as a means to weaken russia as a potential rival to the empire.    since then the bankrupt empire (31 trillion plus dollars debt) has been hurling billions into the ukraine to keep young ukrainian and russian men dying, cheered on by the corrupt media and the arms merchants.    as an aside, when the west talks about the importance of maintaining  "territorial integrity," it would be good to remember that the empire intensely bombed serbia to enable kosovo to declare its independence and that, today, the empire's troops are garrisoning a significant portion of northeast syria while stealing syrian petroleum....

good on ya Pavloh and kudos to Thailand for not joining the insanity....      

another ### for my ignore list - you are so ignorant and clueless it is astounding 

it has been obvious for months now that the Russian military is an embarrasment and their hardware is junk, pity you are not fighting full on Nato/west - this war would have lasted a few weeks not 7 months - please go sign up and do you your patriotic best in Ukraine - I suspect you don't have the #### to back up your words with foot on the ground - more commonly known as a #### 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Purdey said:

superpower

the only reason Russia is a so called superpower is because they have nukes ................... it have been shown recently that their conventional military is basically junk and massively overated, are you not embarrassed - I would be 

as for nukes - go for it - Russia would be wiped from the face of the earth - not a bad thing all considered  

• Like 1

A sad day for Thailand to sit on the fence and not make a decision to support the people of Ukraine.  Some day, when Thailand is encroached upon, I hope that they will be just as understanding when they are not supported.  I assume that they just didn't want to upset mother Russia and big brother China.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

the only reason Russia is a so called superpower is because they have nukes ................... it have been shown recently that their conventional military is basically junk and massively overated, are you not embarrassed - I would be 

as for nukes - go for it - Russia would be wiped from the face of the earth - not a bad thing all considered  

Heard of MAD? Don't wish for nuclear war unless you're suicidal. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

I'm not surprised that Thailand has absolutely no backbone. Showing the qualities of a spineless jellyfish. This will comeback and bite Thailand in the butt down the road.

I don't think it will bite them because even though Thailand COULD be seen internationally as a fully engaged player, they are not, whether they want to be or not.

It's like Belize made such a vote in the UN. Not noticed. Not cared about. 

Nicaragua joined the likes of Belarus and North Korea.

Belarus matters because they are directly helping Russia and North Korea matters because they have nukes, but Nicaragua's vote is a curiousity at most. Of no real significance. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Putin's goal remains and will always be to erase the nation of Ukraine forever. ALL of it.

Typical West's propaganda. If Putin had wanted this, Ukraine would have not already existed. 

Thailand, my respect for not being a puppet and getting involved in someone elses wars. Also, very good point that the mess that is being done in the UN is closing options for diplomatic resolution but continues sending innocent people to death.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1