Canadian rollerblader fined 1,000 baht after spooking motorists on the Bangkok streets

webfact

5 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

So its OK to ride a motorbike on the path if you are Thai but this guy would be classified as a pedestrian but he is charged with a motoring offence for actually do nothing wrong !  

No, it's not ok for bikes to be on the pavements, they get fined if they're caught and this Canadian was doing something wrong.

4 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

I must confess, I did not know it was illegal either .... just pretty f^&*&g stupid and something only an idiot would attempt.

Being legal, illegal or whatever, including/discounting common sense, it will likely end in tears.

Reminds me of the movie "Tracers".

6 hours ago, stoner said:

so nothing different than a million thai every day doing the same thing

so nothing different than a million thai every day doing something quite similar but in a much faster motorized way.

still a meatball for doing this though. he must of thought he was super cool doing it though. 

would of been a better story if he got hit. 

And start a GoFundMe to pay for the physical damages !?!?

6 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:
53 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're not immune but they are, theoretically, legal on the roads.

You are correct, if the riders are wearing helmets!

Even if the riders are not wearing helmets, motorcycles are permitted on the roads, pedestrians causing traffic congestion are not.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, internationalism said:

yes, in many european and american cities bladders use roads, and are forbidden to use pavements  

Can I rollerblade on the road?

You can roller skate on the road. But your safety should come first! Roller skating on the roads can be risky because of busy traffic and unfriendly skating surface like potholes. This can also wear out your roller skate wheels in no time

Is a helmet required for rollerblading?

No, you don't have to wear a helmet while on a skateboard, rollerblade or roller-skate, but it's still a good idea. There are also some other laws about riding skateboards, rollerblades and roller-skates: You must keep to the left of a footpath or shared path unless it is impractical to do so

I saw a guy doing this on Phetchaburi Rd one afternoon at commute time (heading in the direction of KSR).  I was eating at a stall, the lady that ran the place answered a phone call and started looking at me, then says something to me about a farang while pointing to the street.  People came out of shops and alleys to see him, they seemed pretty entertained.  The traffic was blocking him while he managed to keep moving.

3 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

please cite a specific section of the driving code relating to this behavior?

Farang have to give money.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just a note.
He's not doing anything that I haven't seen bicyclists do. 
In his defense, bicyclists have two wheel and he has 8.  Why shouldn't he be able to share the road as bicyclist do?

Caveat:  I'm playing Devil's Advocate here.  But it's a legitimate discussion topic.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Inappropriate and dangerous!!!!

Pot calling the kettle black!

These people need to learn what safe, considerate road use is before reacting in droves.

Not legal in his own country yet alone Bangkok.  Put him in the padwally amongst all the other nutters. 

• Haha 1

Does it means there is no law against roller blading in the street without a helmet? He was charged with an offence that all Bangkok traffic commits. Nothing specifically pertaining to roller blading or wearing a helmet. 

• Thumbs Up 1