Abundance and low price of synthetic drugs pose real challenges in SE Asia

webfact

image.jpeg

A substantial increase in the production of synthetic drugs, methamphetamine in particular, by organised crime syndicates in the Golden Triangle, resulting in a sharp drop in production costs and easy affordability for drug users, are posing a real challenge to Thailand and other countries in Southeast Asia.

According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) report, released in May this year, more than one billion methamphetamine tablets, or “meth”, were seized in South and Southeast Asia last year, 88.6% of which were seized in the lower Mekong region.

The UNODC report on drug seizures corresponds with the report of Thailand’s Office of Narcotics Control Board, which shows that, from last October to August this year, more than 466 million meth tablets were confiscated in Thailand. In the meantime, 594 million meth tablets, 18,000kgs of crystal meth (Ice) and 1,500 tonnes of precursor chemicals were also seized during the same period in the Mekong riparian countries.

According to ONCB Secretary-General Wichai Chaimongkhon, the production cost of methamphetamine has now dropped to about 50 satang, or about 0.013 US$, per tablet and the price increases steadily when it arrives inThailand to 10 baht each (US$0.26) wholesale and 15 baht retail (US$0.39).

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/abundance-and-low-price-of-synthetic-drugs-pose-real-challenges-in-se-asia/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

more than 466 million meth tablets were confiscated in Thailand. In the meantime, 594 million meth tablets, 18,000kgs of crystal meth (Ice) and 1,500 tonnes of precursor chemicals were also seized

Crazy amount .

And this is just what was confiscated ... how much did they not get ?

These drugs are a real threat to Thailand's future and tourism as well .

Who wants to spend his family vacation in a country full of drug crazed people ?

Need to go to the roots , where it is produced , to eliminate this business .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

More like you look to old to be a customer.

More likely as I look about forty rather than my near 60, I am probably stuck in the middle. Look too old for uppers for the nightclub scene and too young looking for uppers for a blue pill for a bar girl visit !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2baht said:

how are they still operating in 2022???

How do bad things happen in the world?  How do countries manufacture guns, allow cartels, kill, imprison innocent people, allow crimes at all???!?!?!??!!?!!!?!??!   Same with sex trafficking.  How is this still happening???  Golden Triangle is linked with many powerful people and countries.  You think you can just walk in and shut it down?  If so, Mr. High Horse would walk into every country and shut down all illegal activities, but that doesn't happen.  Why not, it's 2022??!?!?!?!?!?!?   lol

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Crazy amount .

And this is just what was confiscated ... how much did they not get ?

These drugs are a real threat to Thailand's future and tourism as well .

Who wants to spend his family vacation in a country full of drug crazed people ?

Need to go to the roots , where it is produced , to eliminate this business .

Yes far more is not caught, but if it was that bad that everyone was an addict and responded badly to it it would be more in the news. As with all drugs the majority of people taking it are not crazed druggies.

Not saying that this stuff is good for your health. But if people became so violent on it then given the amounts we would see far more problems then what we are currently seeing. 

This stuff is definitely bad but it cant be as bad as people think given the quantities used and how often it is in the news. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems to billions of these tablets and drugs about. I've never been offered one. I must move in the wrong circles

I also never got it offered but i know where to get it if i wanted. In general drugs are not pushed on the street that much but you need to look for it. It wont be pushed in your face. Same like cannabis before i knew where to get it but was never offered. 

Far to risky for them to openly offer it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

How do bad things happen in the world?  How do countries manufacture guns, allow cartels, kill, imprison innocent people, allow crimes at all???!?!?!??!!?!!!?!??!   Same with sex trafficking.  How is this still happening???  Golden Triangle is linked with many powerful people and countries.  You think you can just walk in and shut it down?  If so, Mr. High Horse would walk into every country and shut down all illegal activities, but that doesn't happen.  Why not, it's 2022??!?!?!?!?!?!?   lol

A bit of Shock and Awe! Little Bush style! Drugs of mass destruction!

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

More like you look to old to be a customer.

Back on topic,

When a country has lost a war, the sensible thing to do is to stop fighting and surrender.

The war on drugs is lost, legalise them all and get on with life.

Similarly, the law on drink driving has been lost. Do you propose to legalise that as well?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A substantial increase in the production of synthetic drugs, methamphetamine in particular, by organised crime syndicates in the Golden Triangle, resulting in a sharp drop in production costs and easy affordability for drug users, are posing a real challenge to Thailand and other countries in Southeast Asia.

The drugs are not posing the problem, the influential peddlers are!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1