Thailand needs to buck up its geopolitical game and economic masterplan after Xi takes up 3rd term

webfact

From the attached link, it appears Thailand has spoken and made predictions, well hopes and when it comes to tourism wishes, and now may be in trouble of reaching there goals for the year. The new LTR visa, which I was able to obtain, will not get them 1 million as they hoped as the original BOI LTR visa classes have not yielded more than 1k so far.  Thailand has tried to spread the gap, but the global economy and China's Zero Covid policy are very tight as far as travelers it wod seem.  Here is the clipped quote from the link:

"As recently as September, Thailand’s Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakan had hoped that Xi would relax restrictions and allow outbound tourism in December, allowing 1.5 million Chinese travelers to visit Thailand.

Those hopes now look entirely unfounded, and Thailand will have to make do with its campaign to attract more American, European and Indian tourists"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

China seems to prepare for a long closure. I have read reports that the covid infrastructure is in place to stay for a few years at least and the contracts of personnel responsible of taking care of covid related tasks have been extended by a couple years. Not sure how reliable this information is but nothing suggests any big easing of restrictions happening any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand would need to adapt its geopolitical game and its economic revival plans after the conclusion of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)’s 20th National Congress, whereas widely expected, President Xi Jinping secured a 3rd term as the CCP’s general secretary.

Pryuts doing his best to emulate Xi, by staying in power as long as possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Those hopes now look entirely unfounded, and Thailand will have to make do with its campaign to attract more American, European and Indian tourists"

With the economical impact about to hit the west over the winter don't count on it..

UK is in free-fall at the moment, so they will be saving funds to heat the home and not go on holiday..

[ Actually it might be cheaper to lock-up the house and go away for the winter]

Indians to the rescue.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Gknrd said:

China has a very low covid count and it would be the perfect time to bring in a GOOD vaccine to put an end to the lockdown.

Sorry. If you believe China has a very low covid count, purely on their own reported statistics, then I urge you to consider if you really understand what's happening in China. 

As for bringing in a good vaccine, they tried to steal the mRNA tech and when they couldn't tried to get Moderna to hand over the tech to them, which failed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

With the economical impact about to hit the west over the winter don't count on it..

UK is in free-fall at the moment, so they will be saving funds to heat the home and not go on holiday..

[ Actually it might be cheaper to lock-up the house and go away for the winter]

Indians to the rescue.

I agree, the Thai folks at TAT are grasping again at straws like they have for many years.  The geo-political and economic issues are here to stay for a few more years I am afraid.  Housing prices in the US are now dropping back downwards and the Interest rates for a 30 year mortgage are over 7%, which is where they were when I bought my last house 20 years ago in California. Folks I know that do have a little bit of money for traveling are hanging onto it as the recession fears are growing and they want to be safe instead of being behind the curve as those who have barely enough to get by now because of high prices scream at the government to help them.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Highend Expat said:

Sorry. If you believe China has a very low covid count, purely on their own reported statistics, then I urge you to consider if you really understand what's happening in China. 

As for bringing in a good vaccine, they tried to steal the mRNA tech and when they couldn't tried to get Moderna to hand over the tech to them, which failed. 

You must be in China..  Fill us in on what is going on..

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Pryuts doing his best to emulate Xi, by staying in power as long as possible.

The good general must be feelng a bit envious of the news. Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.............. (Xi is only one year older than him)

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 1:57 PM, ourmanflint said:

Chinese tourists are not coming back anytime soon, communism is back big time and Xi will continue to amass power to himself.

Communism and Xi has been very good for China over the past 4 decades. No reason for them to change course.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:23 AM, rabang said:

China seems to prepare for a long closure. I have read reports that the covid infrastructure is in place to stay for a few years at least and the contracts of personnel responsible of taking care of covid related tasks have been extended by a couple years. Not sure how reliable this information is but nothing suggests any big easing of restrictions happening any time soon.

In a strange way and perhaps a blessing in disguise for the rest of the world with Covid is that China has completely damaged and destroyed themselves from within with these draconian measures and restrictions without any outside interference or meddling.  history will show us whether this was a strategic move by Xi or the worst decision they ever made.

1 hour ago, BayArea said:

In a strange way and perhaps a blessing in disguise for the rest of the world with Covid is that China has completely damaged and destroyed themselves from within with these draconian measures and restrictions without any outside interference or meddling.  history will show us whether this was a strategic move by Xi or the worst decision they ever made.

It depends on your perspective and priorities.

In the eyes of the CPC, the overriding priority is the welfare of the citizens. They made the decision that life is worth more than money. We can agree or disagree with that sentiment but it’s not our right to judge.

32 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

It depends on your perspective and priorities.

In the eyes of the CPC, the overriding priority is the welfare of the citizens. They made the decision that life is worth more than money. We can agree or disagree with that sentiment but it’s not our right to judge.

I beg to differ; I can judge all I want, and it won't make an ounce of difference on their policies.