Video: Thai beauty sends impassioned anti-war message to 'murdering' Putin - shames Thai govt

webfact

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, to a certain extent, ie the prices of food in Thailand and the UK have risen greatly I only mention these two countries because I have personal experience of it, will these prices go back to where they were before the Russian invasion of The Ukraine when the war finishes? You can bet they won't because most of the time these two countries are using this invasion so food companies can get even richer.

I don't think the fresh meat and vegetables I buy in the local market has risen much, I'd agree on imported Western foodstuffs.

It's a fairly simple equation, distribution of food supplies relies on the diesel fueling trucks. The further they have to go adds cost. When the cost of diesel goes up, so does the cost of food.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Celebrities can say a lot. Putin will likely never hear what she said and even if he would hear it, he probably couldn't care less.

But if some official Thai politician or government spokesperson would say something bad about Putin or Russia then he might notice and he might decide to show Thailand that there are consequences.

IMHO that doesn't mean nobody should ever criticize others. But politicians and especially leaders of countries should think it through and don't just say something because they feel that should be said.

Yes I agree, there might be consequences but that's the point...(and those consequences might even affect expats too). But IMHO Thailand (and the other countries that do likewise) should decide where they stand on important World issues such as this one. If the Thai gov. decides that it could not afford to be a  enemy of Russia, okay, but at least it would be an explanation that could be accepted (or rejected) by the Thai people.

14 minutes ago, edogthong said:

Ah yes, that's probably it! Such a shame that she wasn't around at the time. She could've asked Stalin why he DO ting like that.

Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it. Santayana.

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

Check your facts because USA and Nato had zero to do with putins actions. If any thi g both the USA and Nato have gone out of their way not to escalate the war. Read Comprehension goes a long way 

not sure about this, their inaction may have led putin to believe they would not respond to his aggression, they had previously been soft in their responses to his previous aggressive actions e.g. crimea, and thus, inadvertently, encouraged him.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is quite a lot written in the comments that this Thai celebrity is '...dumb...', lacks info (or words to that effect) etc. Well, that may be so but isn't that part of the politician's job...to know what IS going on? And if they truthfully informed the rest of us them some people could give their opinions on a reasonable basis. Silent politicians only propagate confusion and that's just what we don't need on Russia/Ukraine situation...especially with all the 'nuclear talk'.

• Thumbs Up 1

She's doing fine so far, I'd certainly be very proud of her if she was family

Waraha has studied at Valaya Alongkorn Rajabhat University in Pathum Thani.

She has signed a record deal to earn money for her father’s medical treatments.

At the age of 17, due to her father's terminal cancer, she signed a 12-year contract with the Bangkok-based artist management organ "Sangravee Entertainment" to earn some money for the treatment,[12][13][14] under such a contract the record label released her four singles; two in 2015 and the rest in 2016.[12] Later in 2013, a year after her father's death, she had the opportunity to meet with a master of the Thai blessing ceremony "Phonraphee Maneethai" 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Why Me said:

That would take a lot of doing:-) And if that speech was meant to be the start of her journey to wealth and renown, well ...

I suspect she's well on her way already and won't have much problem in her journey.

Well, the Miss can say whatever she wants. She has, arguably, a better stage in a momentary limelight but it does not mean, that she speaks for and on behalf of the official Thailand. 

Hence, take it for its worth ...... Her opinion is noted but will it change anything ........ honestly? She should concentrate on looking "pleetee", make as much sponsoring and money out of the deal and leave the stage quietly next year, when yet another Miss is crowned. 

For me interesting is, that politics have entered beauty contests meanwhile. I am also against Putin's war mongering but it does not belong into a Miss competition ???? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Purdey said:

Looks like a lot of warhawks here today. Maybe Thailand should end it's neutrality, spend a few billion more to buy more weapons, a few more submarines and missiles to help Ukraine out. Because that's what friendly countries are doing. 

Perhaps raise taxes on foreigners to be able to buy weapons to give away and show solidarity. I give up. 

Thailand is in need of economic growth more than big talk. 

So, I take it you're all in favour of Putin marching into a neutral, peaceful country and murdering its citizens without the rest of the world offering it help to defend itself. Maybe you yourself was a playground bully when you were a schoolboy and approve of this sort of thing. Personally, I think those who sit on the fence are worse than the bullies themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

She's doing fine so far, I'd certainly be very proud of her if she was family

Waraha has studied at Valaya Alongkorn Rajabhat University in Pathum Thani.

She has signed a record deal to earn money for her father’s medical treatments.

At the age of 17, due to her father's terminal cancer, she signed a 12-year contract with the Bangkok-based artist management organ "Sangravee Entertainment" to earn some money for the treatment,[12][13][14] under such a contract the record label released her four singles; two in 2015 and the rest in 2016.[12] Later in 2013, a year after her father's death, she had the opportunity to meet with a master of the Thai blessing ceremony "Phonraphee Maneethai" 

Well, then she has more brains than Blinken.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Maybe better for her to keep her opinion to herself. How much does she really know? If it is just what is in the news then she should think again until she can find out what is and what isnt true.

Maybe you should as well. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

If the Thai gov. decides that it could not afford to be a  enemy of Russia, okay, but at least it would be an explanation that could be accepted (or rejected) by the Thai people.

Who knows all the connections between Thailand and Russia? Import, exports, short and long term agreements, relations with other countries, and and and? And maybe some of this is secret and information from spies. 

It would be impossible to explain it to the people - even if they would listen.

I think a good/bad example are gasoline prices. If the prices are high, then "the people" blame the government. Maybe the government is completely innocent and just have to accept international oil prices. Maybe the government is already doing things to make the situation better. But many people will still blame the government because those people don't know or don't care what is really happening.

I am sure it would be impossible to explain to the masses the relationship with Russia - even if they would try.

8 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Every person has a right to free speech, and all the better if it's on an international social media platform.  ....  

No way!!! In a lot of countries your right to free speech served a lot of people long prison term and death!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Should the Thai government tell Putin that he is a murderer?

And should they do the same with other countries and their leaders?

Should they tell China what to do and don't do?

Maybe tell the USA not to invade so many countries?

And don't forget to tell the leaders in Saudi Arabia what bad people they are.

Any other countries? Sure. Tell them all about their mistakes.

And then?

What about if these countries react to that?

No more business with Thailand? Or maybe business with bad conditions?

No more tourists and no more money from people from those countries?

And then? I guess then the same people will criticize the Thai government again for high prices, high unemployment, no tourists, etc.

The world is not black and white. There are not only good or only bad countries and leaders. The world is complicated. Sometimes it's good to think again about consequences - before criticizing others.

Well said. Good to see a post that's not a knee jerk reaction.

BTW, just because she is a "beauty" ( but not my idea of beautiful at all ) does it make her any more clever or intelligent than any woman that wouldn't parade around in public wanting people she doesn't know to say nice things about her?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well said. Good to see a post that's not a knee jerk reaction.

BTW, just because she is a "beauty" ( but not my idea of beautiful at all ) does it make her any more clever or intelligent than any woman that wouldn't parade around in public wanting people she doesn't know to say nice things about her?

Yes they should

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't think the fresh meat and vegetables I buy in the local market has risen much, I'd agree on imported Western foodstuffs.

It's a fairly simple equation, distribution of food supplies relies on the diesel fueling trucks. The further they have to go adds cost. When the cost of diesel goes up, so does the cost of food.

What I don't understand about that is why, if only 4% of Thailand's fuel comes from Russia, why has the price risen in Thailand, or any other country that doesn't import Russian oil?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=where+does+thai+oil+come+from

Does Thailand import oil from Russia?

Thailand imports approximately 55% crude oil from the Middle East, and 15% each from the Far East, West Africa and the US. Thailand imported only 12 million barrels from Russia in 2021 or just 4% of the country's total crude oil imports.21/06/2022