HYDROGEN cars are here ! - Hyundai

During the 'Who killed electric car?' movie, the hydro was pushed as an alternative to BEV, or whatever version in the movie it was about.  Arnold pushing it, and given one of course for is efforts, I think.

So almost 30 yrs after that very successful EV, and 15+ yrs after the movie, the hydro cell car has progress to .....  a big nothing.

Appears this little country of 1/5 the population has more EV CS, than hydro cell stations in the USA.   Maybe they are only produced for local driving ????

Having a 3-400 mile range, best to stay local, as shown by the 300 mile diameter circle overlay.  Just a few spots missing any stations ????

300 mile range.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

During the 'Who killed electric car?' movie, the hydro was pushed as an alternative to BEV, or whatever version in the movie it was about.  Arnold pushing it, and given one of course for is efforts, I think.

So almost 30 yrs after that very successful EV, and 15+ yrs after the movie, the hydro cell car has progress to .....  a big nothing.

Appears this little country of 1/5 the population has more EV CS, than hydro cell stations in the USA.   Maybe they are only produced for local driving ????

Having a 3-400 mile range, best to stay local, as shown by the 300 mile diameter circle overlay.  Just a few spots missing any stations ????

You just hate the idea of it. ( we have all seen your behavior on the ev thread )

Hydro will be produced at your homes.  it's one of the ways forward. 

Good day :jap:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Orinoco said:

I reckon this will be the way it will all go in the next 10-20 years.

not the stop gap that's being sold at present as the be and end all of motoring.

Hydrogen may be the future in 10-20 yrs. But I can’t wait that long so in the meantime, I will happily settle for free solar energy to power my car.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Hydrogen may be the future in 10-20 yrs. But I can’t wait that long so in the meantime, I will happily settle for free solar energy to power my car.

Free, well done, I had no idea that was a true reality.

Just now, seedy said:

And electric rates have already started to rise for EV charging around the world.

Think power companies are fools ? If there is a market they will profit from it.

Agreed....   EV’s are no more environmentally friendly than the ICE vehicles...  Worse perhaps. 

But, they do move emissions from the built up area’s, but thats about all they do. 

Batteries are the issue of course. 

All EV’s will achieve is to increase the electricity bills everyone (even those without vehicles), then what ???....  more people will turn to natural gas to heat their homes !!!!! 

10 minutes ago, seedy said:

And electric rates have already started to rise for EV charging around the world.

Big silence from the converted on this one. 

Laugh I nearly bought an Ev . Not :cheesy:

Edited by Orinoco

48 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Big silence from the converted on this one. 

Laugh I nearly bought an Ev . Not :cheesy:

As electricity rates rise, the case for solar gets stronger and stronger. Petrol prices will also rise, given the current situation in the world today.

A very fuel efficient ICE (20km/l) costs 175 baht per 100 km. An EV/PHEV will cost only 50 baht (TOU) or FOC if you have excess solar. As a bean counter, this makes economic sense to me.

Re: hydrogen, it costs about US$80 for 6 kgs, almost 3 times the price of petrol in the US for the same distance covered.

P/s: I’m giving courses in business administration and cost and financial accounting, in case anyone’s interested.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed....   EV’s are no more environmentally friendly than the ICE vehicles...  Worse perhaps. 

But, they do move emissions from the built up area’s, but thats about all they do. 

Batteries are the issue of course. 

All EV’s will achieve is to increase the electricity bills everyone (even those without vehicles), then what ???....  more people will turn to natural gas to heat their homes !!!!! 

I’m not factoring environmental matters in my purchase. That’s a different debate entirely. Having said that, I do hate following a diesel belching pickup here in Thailand, especially if I have my windows down.

You really think that EVs will consume so much electricity that it will move the price of electricity?  Brush the dust off your calculator. And I don’t heat my home here in Thailand.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

P/s: I’m giving courses in business administration and cost and financial accounting, in case anyone’s interested.

Wow - and you do not know what 'Free' means ...

Makes no difference if you power your car from excess solar - it still ain't 'Free'

Free is where the solar companies come to your house, install the panels, do the wiring, charge controller, etc, and leave without you having to pay one baht

That's Free

But the Musk-o-vites will NEVER admit that they're wrong, that solar panels are a no go for the vast majority of people who wish to have EV's - those that live in condos, apartments, in the city where EV make sense.

Only rich white people, patting themselves on the back, saying how smart they are, building Eco houses which are not eco, getting free electricity which is not free, and gloating at the rest of the population.

As evidenced in the many EV forums across the WWW

16 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

You really think that EVs will consume so much electricity that it will move the price of electricity?  Brush the dust off your calculator. And I don’t heat my home here in Thailand.

I do....   The ‘energy companies’ will find a way to make their money.

The government will find a way to recover the tax revenue lost from sales of petrol.

There will be a requirement for improvement to the electrical infrastructure, those costs will be passed onto the customer. 

I’m under no illusion that the current cost of charging of EV’s will remain the same...  I fully expect that the in the future cost of charging and running an EV will be similar to that of running a car on Petrol. 

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do....   The ‘energy companies’ will find a way to make their money.

The government will find a way to recover the tax revenue lost from sales of petrol.

There will be a requirement for improvement to the electrical infrastructure, those costs will be passed onto the customer. 

I’m under no illusion that the current cost of charging of EV’s will remain the same...  I fully expect that the in the future cost of charging and running an EV will be similar to that of running a car on Petrol. 

I doubt it. EV charging will only ever be a tiny fraction of overall electricity consumption. Many households consume over 1,000 kWh per month.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seedy said:

Wow - and you do not know what 'Free' means ...

Makes no difference if you power your car from excess solar - it still ain't 'Free'

Free is where the solar companies come to your house, install the panels, do the wiring, charge controller, etc, and leave without you having to pay one baht

That's Free

But the Musk-o-vites will NEVER admit that they're wrong, that solar panels are a no go for the vast majority of people who wish to have EV's - those that live in condos, apartments, in the city where EV make sense.

Only rich white people, patting themselves on the back, saying how smart they are, building Eco houses which are not eco, getting free electricity which is not free, and gloating at the rest of the population.

As evidenced in the many EV forums across the WWW

My solar installation is a sunk cost and will be amortised over a certain number of years, according to GAAP standards.

Any further benefits that I derive is, in my assessment, free.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

My solar installation is a sunk cost and will be amortised over a certain number of years, according to GAAP standards.

Any further benefits that I derive is, in my assessment, free.

So ... it is NOT 'Free'

am·or·tize
verb
past tense: amortised; past participle: amortised
  1. gradually write off the initial cost of (an asset) over a period.
    "they want to amortize the tooling costs quickly"
    • reduce or pay off (a debt) with regular payments.
      "loan fees can be amortized over the life of the mortgage"

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I doubt it. EV charging will only ever be a tiny fraction of overall electricity consumption. Many households consume over 1,000 kWh per month.

The average car drives 13,500 miles (21,700 km per year) = roughly 1800 km per month.

The average EV consumes 0.2kWh/km (source for that info below). 

Thus: per month an Average EV consumes 360kwh.

As you mentioned: household consumption of 1,000 kWh per month... thus the average EV adds 36% to the average household. 

I know figures will vary...  this seems more than a tiny fraction.... 

https://www.virta.global/blog/ev-charging-101-how-much-electricity-does-an-electric-car-use

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The average car drives 13,500 miles (21,700 km per year) = roughly 1800 km per month.

The average EV consumes 0.2kWh/km (source for that info below). 

Thus: per month an Average EV consumes 360kwh.

As you mentioned: household consumption of 1,000 kWh per month... thus the average EV adds 36% to the average household. 

I know figures will vary...  this seems more than a tiny fraction.... 

https://www.virta.global/blog/ev-charging-101-how-much-electricity-does-an-electric-car-use

360kWh per household would be a lot if every household had an EV (of course this would be offset by free sunlight but that’s another discussion). Of course not everyone in the foreseeable future will have an EV. But if you read carefully what I wrote, I said it would only be a fraction of overall consumption. Businesses and factories consume a huge amount. So imo, EV charging will only be a fraction of overall consumption and will not affect the price of electricity in any significant manner.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 1:51 AM, KhunLA said:

Hydrogen cars ????

... not practical in our lifetime.

hydrogen cars are the future, because Hydrogen can be produced without using electricity in the process (aluminium - gallium process).

car manufacturers need to agree on standardized fuel cell formats.

• Thumbs Up 1