EV Owners … Real life experience & help thread

KhunLA

Cruise control set @ 110, doing 109kph and usage is  13.4kWh per 100kms at that speed.

Equates to 345 kms range in ECO mode

Usage battery - 46.3kWh ÷ 13.4 = 3,455 X 100 = 345 kms

NEDC range 403, we rarely get that around town

WLTP range 320, at least get that, and usually more, up to 360 kms 'estimated' per charge.

Bit blurry as screenshot off vid

image.png.d96c5948595e280a79487c4476699115.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One annoying thing about EV, well, MG ZS at least, though guessing other do the same.  App will have a brain freeze.   Had one yesterday while on the road, of all place.   Warning pops up, and never on screen long enough to actually read.   Then check icon comes on, and I scroll through the screens, and no longer displaying air pressure in tires.   Handling fine, so know I don't have a flat, and in heavy traffic so can't really stop.

When it does have a brain freeze, (rare) it's usually the screen will be blank, won't load, or simply have date & time.   Simply turn off, wait 2 minutes, and restart, and all clears up, back to normal.

Yesterday was first time it did that, warning icon AND missing info.  So checked for closest MG dealer, as didn't want to do the usually, turn off / on, and not have it restart.  No detour needed, and dealer was just 12 kms up the road.  Cycling through screens and when back at main screen, warning pops up, so made a vid, so could actually read it.   Didn't have a clue what it was, but we did top up the tires earlier in the day.  

Wife call dealer before arriving and stated that's probably it, so pulled in, wife went in for a chit chat, longer than needed, as I simply restarted the car, and all normal again.  With verification notice on screen.  'Good condition / No faults'

Just something to know, if local, then just restart.  If on the road, personally, if still operating, and no noticeable issue, then restart at next dealer, JIC.   Do call your local rep, and have noted in your record no matter what, if more than just a brain freeze, which actually are rare, and we don't bother reporting.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Charging your EV with solar ... Charge when you can, when having excess.   Car only at 84%, but charge while the sun is out, especially during rainy season.

Yesterday, solar was barely producing enough for the house.   Today, no prob, so charge up when excess is available.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Charging your EV with solar ... Charge when you can, when having excess.   Car only at 84%, but charge while the sun is out, especially during rainy season.

Yesterday, solar was barely producing enough for the house.   Today, no prob, so charge up when excess is available.

It would nice to be able to stop and start charging automatically, sun out? Charge, clouds? Stop charging.

i did setup something to do that with my grid-tied system.  I used an adjustable ice/under voltage cut off wired to a NC (Normally Closed) contractor. The over voltage was set high and the under voltage turned off.

The sun shines and the inverters increase voltage above PEA, contractor closes car charges, and the reverse when a cloud comes out.

It worked a few times on a German EV then the car would trip fault.

I will try it on the BYD when I get round to it

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It would nice to be able to stop and start charging automatically, sun out? Charge, clouds? Stop charging.

i did setup something to do that with my grid-tied system.  I used an adjustable ice/under voltage cut off wired to a NC (Normally Closed) contractor. The over voltage was set high and the under voltage turned off.

The sun shines and the inverters increase voltage above PEA, contractor closes car charges, and the reverse when a cloud comes out.

I got caught a few times, charging the car, get involved / distracted, and couple hours later, damn, sun gone, solar batteries down a bit ... oops

9 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you have a smart Charger like ABB Terra you can install an Energy Meter, that is exactly doing what you want to do. Called Dynamic charging.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, UWEB said:

If you have a smart Charger like ABB Terra you can install an Energy Meter, that is exactly doing what you want to do. Called Dynamic charging.

Thanks for that, I do have the ABB Terra, I will look for an Energy Meter

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2024 at 7:28 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Thanks for that, I do have the ABB Terra, I will look for an Energy Meter

I'm still struggling to get my Phone connected to the Charger. Will you please let me know which OCPP Server you are using?

1 hour ago, UWEB said:

I'm still struggling to get my Phone connected to the Charger. Will you please let me know which OCPP Server you are using?

I have no idea, I don’t remember being asked that, or maybe I chose default option 

• 2 weeks later...

MG ZS was getting 12v battery fault warning.  Not charged up, and gauge showing 10.1-14.3 at times while warning 'dinging' for about 2 minutes, then it would reset, all good again.   Until a few more kms, and repeat.

Here's a post about solution, and before taking into service dept, if mechanically inclined, or they have a long Q, check the obvious .... 'loose cable wire to battery'

• Sad 1

On 7/22/2024 at 10:35 AM, KhunLA said:

MG ZS was getting 12v battery fault warning.  Not charged up, and gauge showing 10.1-14.3 at times while warning 'dinging' for about 2 minutes, then it would reset, all good again.   Until a few more kms, and repeat.

Here's a post about solution, and before taking into service dept, if mechanically inclined, or they have a long Q, check the obvious .... 'loose cable wire to battery'

A bit more on the MG ZS 12v battery, after everything tightened up.

More at this post, as asked about voltage at rest & driving.

Short version, off and at rest, 12v battery seems comfy at 13.1v

Few minutes after car started, at 'ready or while driving' and 14.1v seem to be it's happy place.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

DECO SUSU model E-MC ... 3 years owning

All 3 warranties now expired; battery, motor, electronics 

image.png.edaa2becfcb21e2504d79d625faa1b39.png

Has run almost flawless for ...

image.png.2b66b2fa8507e213dfb0d46e955704a3.png

Average 2500 kms for first 2 yrs, and less for 3rd.   Well taken care of (battery), and never below 20%, usually above 30% before topping back up.   About once a week, since old tech, not LFP, and not liking to be topped up daily.

Would image some battery degradation, though nothing of note.  Battery life 3-5 yrs when purchased, and expect to get at least another 3-5 yrs out of it.  Since our local driving kms is minimal, all being close to the house.   Daily runs are 8-15 kms when weather is cooperating.

Really can't ask for a cheaper mode of transportation, especially now with govt incentive of 18k baht, and upgraded battery (LFP).

image.png.d7d05119dec825dc59bec9d83ad07bce.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did another battery equalization, from 18% to 100%

Slow charging @ 7.4kWh

But, for some reason, stop charging @ 40% for about an hour, 

as I didn't notice.  Going to guess that affected slightly in a

negative way, if at all.   

Results were, according to the car,  ranges when

new @ 100% & now,  Along with what the pea meter

finished & started at, kWh used...

image.png.d8a3a5b2b67cd6b790ebdf72e86bb135.png

At the 14 month period & equalization, was only 0.6%, so considerably more, or one or both, were a bit flawed.  But, ballpark enough for me.

So end of battery warranty, 8 yrs, maybe about 10% degradation +/-

May Equalize it again in another 7 months, as CATL does recommend a couple times a year.  We've only done it twice.

NOTE:  ... WLTP range rating is 320, car in ECO mode is 360

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1