Thai teenager dressed up as “Jeffrey Dahmer” for Halloween harshly criticized on social media

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Xin Loi said:

A lot of brash clothes worn here, the owners have no clue as to what is printed on them.

Agree. Same with the music played in stores. I was at the mall, sitting outside of the store waiting on the wife.  The song playing was "eff this <deleted> MF'ers"....TIT.  

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

My scariest Halloween incident was when living in a US suburb, shovelling out candy to the kids who rang the doorbell.  At one point I opened the door and there were two girls, about ten years old.  One of them was wearing some very shear, non-opaque cloth.  All I could think of was "get this nearly naked kid away from my house!"  I was so shaken I dropped the candy bucket.  After they were gone and I calmed down I realized that was her self-made costume of the princess from the cartoon-movie Aladdin, very popular at the time.  The girl was olive-skinned, so I guessed she was seeking a character who she resembled.

To avoid unwelcome Trick or treaters callers I simply stuck  a life size head shot photo of Jimmy Savile leering in his creepy way on the front window next to the front door… ???? 

• Haha 1

We seem to forget the o ne  important thing about this country.  People only learn about outside history online.  Therefore depending on where  you look Hitler was a genius or a mass murder or Psychopath.  

The same with Dahmer.  

Many Thais have no understanding of why Kanchaburi is so important to Dutch Aussie and other commonwealth people.  

There knowledge of WW2 is simply dates not actually what happened or who was involved.

Thai teenager dressed up as “Jeffrey Dahmer” for Halloween harshly criticized on social media

Why?  Dahmer has been injected into the public consciousness and normalized through movies and TV show.  Blame the media.

• Like 1

Its halloween and you dress up as a monster, but not real monsters.

Closeness to time and trauma play significant factors but its usually the media at fault and not the individual by changing the context by exposing it to an audience it was not intended.

Lets say there was a school shooting perhaps 18 months ago and the shooter had some iconic features that would make for a highly recognisable costume. For anyone who lost anyone in that made up scenario most can see how it would be traumatic to see someone dressing up as that shooter and for sure doing it in that city or state, the horror. Perhaps you can think of things closer to home that you'd go yep too soon for that costume.

Media here has taken something from a country far away and shown it in the places where Dahmer brutally killed a lot of people, those families will never forget and the media has now caused them trauma again as they did at the time, for them the idea of dressing up as this monster remains horrific and rightly so, at the time someone was publishing comics <deleted>.

For others its distant, not within their world, in the past and perhaps even glorified by media and recent shows and there is no connection to the actual horror so in a far away place perhaps there's no harm to be seen, its "just" an iconic look of a monster for halloween and nothing more. Nothing to see here until the media and the stirrers come in.  

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The age of the far too easily offended...

I am offended that you label the age I'm living in as easily offended.  All this offense stuff is not coming easily to me, but I'm working on it. 

:wink: