Does anything work here?

herfiehandbag

16 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

How does this country expect to remain vaguely competitive if their IT is such a consistent shambles?

They don't require IT to attract tourists or investment.

IMO anyone reliant on IT is going to be in trouble at some stage, which is why I am not reliant on it for important things in my life.

I thought it was going to be another "hate Thailand" thread, but only about a couple of web sites.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They don't require IT to attract tourists or investment.

IMO anyone reliant on IT is going to be in trouble at some stage, which is why I am not reliant on it for important things in my life.

I thought it was going to be another "hate Thailand" thread, but only about a couple of web sites.

Heaps of IT guys in CM and Phuket. The web is fast in most places.

If I was an IT guy I wouldnt live in west. 

Edited by Sparktrader

19 hours ago, fusion58 said:

It’s what I call an “imposter society,” i.e., one whose system of education doesn’t really educate anyone. Consequently, you have a workforce populated by people who are simply pretending to be qualified to do their jobs and who must constantly work to conceal their lack of knowledge. 

It’s no wonder all the hi-sos send their children abroad to be educated.

I think you've been mixing with the wrong people. Perhaps you should get out more?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are issues that are idiotic.  For example.  I order often from a website owned by a major company here in Thailand.  They own a large number of malls and retail stores.  I have done this for about two years,  no issues.  I have always used my American credit card. 
   I tried to place an order yesterday.  I kept getting error messages.  I called customer service.  Explained I could not place the order.  The English speaking person asked me for an order or confirmation number.  I said how can I have that if I can’t place the order.  She then said ok.  Then she said two weeks ago this group stopped excepting overseas credit cards.  I asked if I can do a bank transfer.  She said this company was not equipped for bank transfers.  So I said I guess you only want Thai customers then.  
  Then a few hours later someone else called me.  This person said the company is only not accepting overseas cards for online purchases.  But you can still use it in person.  I said that makes no sense.  The person agreed.  They said they think some customers were complaining about getting refunds on their cards.  

3 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

This person said the company is only not accepting overseas cards for online purchases.  But you can still use it in person.  I said that makes no sense.

makes sense to me, perhaps you need to think about it a bit longer instead of just trashing the merchant.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fusion58 said:

It’s what I call an “imposter society,” i.e., one whose system of education doesn’t really educate anyone. Consequently, you have a workforce populated by people who are simply pretending to be qualified to do their jobs and who must constantly work to conceal their lack of knowledge. 

It’s no wonder all the hi-sos send their children abroad to be educated.

and yet their society has functioned for hundreds of years, things get made that other people overseas buy, houses and even multistory buildings are constructed without falling down, society works on the whole in a reasonable fashion.

Perhaps education is over rated- I left my imposter but expensive private college with basically no "qualifications", and did not attend university, yet I obtained qualifications for two different but highly skilled occupations, that at that time were mainly learn on the job ( one of which, nursing, is now considered to require a university piece of paper to do- complete BS of course as I'm living proof it's not ).

BTW, the British Empire was run by people who's education seemingly consisted of learning the essential subjects of Latin and Greek ( LOL )- not bad for people from an imposter education.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Lazada made me trouble at the login (name/password) requiring captchas, unlock with code via mail that never arrived (might be the mail provider bouncing anything from Thailand).

In the end I gave up and created a new account based on my mobile nr. and a Gmail account.

Works Ok since then.

Exactly the same for me. I just signed up again with an old email address that I rarely use now.

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Absolute nonsense, work with loads of qualified people here.

Me too. Never had any such problems. Have you activated the app correctly ? BTW, I come from the UK where nothing seems to work any more. 

Edited by Thingamabob
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

I ordered for the first time on Lazada yesterday.

Worked like a charm.

Talked with the Thai seller.

Asked him for a favor. He said yes.

Absolutely lovely and helpful.

You must do something wrong OP...

I dunno. Check your parameters maybe ?

Or shall I say... Check your parama ? ????????

Not sure if parameters or paramour is meant. certainly one should check both.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Absolute nonsense, work with loads of qualified people here.

The majority of Thai people, I will not say they are stupid, but they do have a sad lack of intelligence and common sense, their road behaviour tells you that as most Thai's do ride motorbikes, let their underage children ride them on main roads, leave and enter side roads on the wrong side as well as just riding on the wrong side of the road.

I am not going off topic here, just using road behaviour as an example, there are also other examples.

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:
21 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Don't use Lazada, so have no idea.

Lazada made me trouble at the login (name/password) requiring captchas, unlock with code via mail that never arrived (might be the mail provider bouncing anything from Thailand).

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

In the end I gave up and created a new account based on my mobile nr. and a Gmail account.

Works Ok since then.

Not their sales? But?

"In the end I gave up and created a new account based on my mobile nr. and a Gmail account.

Works Ok since then."

I had the same problem and done the same as you, it worked well for a while then went back to it's old ways. I am now back to my original email and password, and it works about one time in five.

I am now so fed up with their six digits one time password etc. Lazada is just one big shambles apart from getting my deliveries.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Another topic that brings out both extremes. 

The "nothing works" people who expect infrastructure similar to their home country from which they fled. And the Theophiles who consider everything here is perfect and if not, it shouldn't be stated. I've lived here for a while now and know the actual lies somewhere between those extremes.

I've certainly suffered the frustration of trying to make government (Immigration, CDC) and business (retailers, banks) websites work in a reasonable manner and also mainly blame a lack of competency of operators schooled through a broken education system. On the job training rather than formal qualifications perpetuates incompetency's in workers everywhere.

However, not everything remains inoperable, they are capable of getting things right eventually. For example, the Immigration 90-day report site is now brilliant, albeit based on a ludicrous law. I completed my report in a couple of minutes yesterday morning without getting out of bed (getting chilly lately!).

It's difficult at times to find competent people to do relatively simple tasks, but they do it for peanuts compared to the champagne prices of tradesmen back home. 

You just need to work though the mire until they get it right and use the money saved to buy champagne for yourself. 

Any work that has been done to my house in the last 15 years, ie electrics, building works or repairs etc, have been excellent, apart from only one odd occasion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Me too. Never had any such problems. Have you activated the (bank) app correctly ? 

Had he bothered to ask the bank they would have told him that they (any KTB branch office) need to activate the app. But instead of asking his bank, he preferred to have a cry on here... using an overly-dramatic thread title as  click bait.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:16 AM, herfiehandbag said:

The KTB NetBank site has not been able to provide me with a statement for over a week now, when you enter the date range the boxes reset to "Na-Na-Na"!

Yes, I get that frequently and it robs the user of a neccessary function.......????

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The majority of Thai people, I will not say they are stupid, but they do have a sad lack of intelligence and common sense, their road behaviour tells you that as most Thai's do ride motorbikes, let their underage children ride them on main roads, leave and enter side roads on the wrong side as well as just riding on the wrong side of the road.

I am not going off topic here, just using road behaviour as an example, there are also other examples.

The road behavior is caused by the lack of road ethics education, examination and punishment for bad behavior. Not to do with intelligence. 

Edited by FritsSikkink

On 11/1/2022 at 2:50 PM, Heng said:

Pretty happy with the Lazada app.  Glad many things here only 'kind of' work (like the 'kind of' revenue department????).  

Things are 'getting better' though, put in a complaint on the electric company (MEA) website a few weeks ago -not really expecting any results- that a repair team had left (presumably non live) wires brushing up against my house... 8am the next day there was a team out there fixing it, I was like WTH, this might have taken months or a year back in the good ol' day.  

Take the wins when you can mate ????

• Like 1