Marriage extension - 2nd year home visit - normal or ...

23 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I do Buriram and number 1 they don't do. Or they don't ask me for. 2, 3, & 4 I have to have our three children in the photos even though having children isn't a requirement to obtaining a 'marriage extension'.

Last year (before I went for retirement) they accepted that (Buriram as well)

Maybe it's because we don't have children (can't as the wife can't have any more (ill health))

Edited by MJCM
Typos and added Buriram

As many will say and agree, it depends on the office and the IO staff.

. We do a video/Phone interview and show them the places they want to see on and in our house.. over fast.... we actually had a bit of fun as we posed over our LARGE wedding picture hanging on the wall.. that was a good chuckle by all..

• Like 1

I always thought, Crossy is untouchable ????

Well, I got a visit from immigration even 3month after the approval of my extension of stay for marriage visa without any notice, while I was learning Thai at school. I changed to retirement and it is such a relieve.....No endless admin and not wasting that much paper any longer. I always felt very sorry for the trees..... - maybe one day in 1000 years archoeologist may think that there must be a huge jungle where I'm living right now if I would stay if this insane paperwork.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ken444 said:

What if you are overseas when they visit?   spend a lot of time out of the country

We were required to ensure that we were both in the house when they visited, otherwise they wouldn't visit. That said, they only ever came to visit once in 17 years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ken444 said:

What if you are overseas when they visit?   spend a lot of time out of the country

If you apply for extension based on Marriage, you will get something called an "Under consideration Period" where your application is checked and this process can take up to 1 month (sometimes even longer).

So you could leave the country, but you have to be back here to receive your final stamp else you will have to start over again.

And immigration will come right after you did the application or within the consideration period.

Sometimes Immigration (during the under consideration) will call and ask for additional documents, this never happened to us but happened to a friend of ours.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I would be annoyed if I was the OP.

Even more annoying for the OP would be if, say, he had a sister who was married to a Thai national. Her passport would be gleefully and unhesitatingly stamped for a marriage extension by her local immigration office each year with no question her being subjected to the Spanish Inquisition!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Even more annoying for the OP would be if, say, he had a sister who was married to a Thai national. Her passport would be gleefully and unhesitatingly stamped for a marriage extension by her local immigration office each year with no question her being subjected to the Spanish Inquisition!

You are absolutely right, but how many Foreign Females are married to Thai Males, I personally have never met such a couple (but I do know many Thai male friends would like to Marry a Foreign Female ???? )  and how often do you see a Thread on here a Female asking for advice on how to marry a Thai guy?

I think the crackdown came after the stories about arranged Marriages (Foreign Guy gave xxk to a Thai Female to be married but they are NOT living together) and thus Immigration is trying to close this loop hole with a LOT more scrutiny plus your local IO not responsible for the Final Stamp but the Regional HQ and if the documents they (local IO) sends and are not correct or incomplete HQ will not be happy.

We once did the extension and the IO a couple of times wrote my name wrong (instead of Bob (not my real name) he wrote Bab ) and on the final check he gave us the documents and when I pointed out his error, he was glad that I spotted it) (Ps: It was correct on the Tm7 I supplied ???? )

Same crackdown as when the Edu Visa was easy to get, didn't even needed to go to School, or remember the Consulates that were given out ME NON-O on the basis of visiting friends?

When last year I changed from Marriage -> Retirement the IO was happy because it is a lot less paperwork for them, because the only thing (I guess) that matters then if you have the 800k and if it is seasoned long enough.

Edited by MJCM

23 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

That's all fine but only one time! More than that implies they think you're a fraud or they're just being intrusive for the sake of it.

That is exactly it, they do think you are a fraud until you prove otherwise. I got married in 2008 and have lived at the same address since then but it means nothing and can be quite frustrating.

But then my wife has made 11 UK visitor visa applications and each one treated like a terrorist.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken444 said:

A few years ago when the home visit suddenly became the norm we had already booked to go away. They rung up the day before to say they were coming but we were not going to be at home. Not a problem, they just came after we got back about a week later.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 1:10 PM, Lacessit said:

The neighbors are out to get you, Crossy. They are reporting the sparks they see flying out of your garage, and fear you are building an apparatus for lightning bolts.

better to stay far away from this noisy thai neighbors. The best is to build a house in a farm without stress. they talk like parrots

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is exactly it, they do think you are a fraud until you prove otherwise. I got married in 2008 and have lived at the same address since then but it means nothing and can be quite frustrating.

But then my wife has made 11 UK visitor visa applications and each one treated like a terrorist.

they're still seriously doing house visits after 11 years?? That's just abusive in my opinion. No reason whatsoever for that. They told me only once at Chiang Mai but we'll see about that!

8 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

they're still seriously doing house visits after 11 years?? That's just abusive in my opinion.

Not as bad as having to show them my 3 children's birth certificates every year. Eldest now coming up to 15. When is too old !!!!!!!!!

Edited by IvorBiggun2

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Not as bad as having to show them my 3 children's birth certificates every year. Eldest now coming up to 15. When is too old?

What for? I think they're just doing busy work to justify their pay check so it's probably best to not get upset about it but it's still annoying.

17 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

they're still seriously doing house visits after 11 years?? That's just abusive in my opinion. No reason whatsoever for that. They told me only once at Chiang Mai but we'll see about that!

9 years extension on Basis of Marriage (3 in Pattaya and 6 in Buriram) and never had a house visit so maybe one is due soon :whistling:

Edited by MJCM

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

What for? I think they're just doing busy work to justify their pay check so it's probably best to not get upset about it but it's still annoying.

I think it's cuz they know my kids will also have UK passports and it's a way for them to decide,

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Twenty

I'll get back to you.

• Haha 1

Non O retirement… they came by after visiting neighbor up the road I wasn’t home. Had to go to the local Police department the next day. It must of been lunch time they all had Leo cans on their desk..,

Had to take shirt off for pictures of tattoos… 10 mins and off I went… 7 years now only one visit. 

36 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Had to take shirt off for pictures of tattoos… 10 mins and off I went

So @Crossy when you are not at home when they visit and you must go to the police station instead, make sure that you get some tattoos on your chest before hand :thumbsup::cheesy: (or maybe you already have them)

Edit: Talking about intrusive ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Haha 1

Well, the chaps have just been, same ones as last year (yes, the tall one), no Beemer, turned up in a ratty old Toyota, BMW is "not available" :whistling:

Talked to our two witnesses (with ID card copies), took a couple of photos of us all together (me holding up my PP), filled in some forms and went away. 15 minutes.

And they confirmed that they want to visit every year ???? 

Does make one feel a bit like a criminal ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Well, the chaps have just been, same ones as last year (yes, the tall one), no Beemer, turned up in a ratty old Toyota, BMW is "not available" :whistling:

Talked to our two witnesses (with ID card copies), took a couple of photos of us all together (me holding up my PP), filled in some forms and went away. 15 minutes.

And they confirmed that they want to visit every year ???? 

Does make one feel a bit like a criminal ???? 

Our place gets a continuous stream of visitors, I never feel like criminal, besides after only a year here going in to do 90 day reports I feel I know the immigration guys quite well ????

been living here in BKK since 2006, last 6 years extension on Basis of Marriage (BKK), after stopped working,

and never had a house visit so maybe cause of the age similarity (i am 47 and wife is 49)......maybe cause of staying at the same house......maybe cause she is dual citizen......who knows legally married since 2005......no kids  :whistling: