Only luck can save you in a crush - Rooster remembers his own Hillsborough nightmare

webfact

5 hours ago, roger101 said:

Rooster: Why do you support Spurs? I do because I was born in Edmonton and Spurs v  Norwich (FA Cup) was the first (and only) football match my father ever took me too (we moved out  of London shortly after).

My mum and siblings supported Spurs, I followed suit. Now my kids follow me.

Thanks for reading.

Rooster

Thanks again for the news update and the pictures. The USA guy in the orange is a great

thought. Sounds like this Winter will be a good one for tourism, considering that most of us have

not gone anywhere for the last 3 years in some cases. Hope the experience is good for every one.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 8:35 AM, webfact said:

But as kick-off approached huge numbers of fans started pouring in and the crowd seemed to take on a life of its own. 

And why does anyone wonder why that would come about.

I moved up to Sheffield in 1983, initially lived within a stones throw of "The Lane", moved to Burncross for a couple of years and then out to Deepcar early 1989.

Both Burncross and Deepcar are fairly close to the main road coming into Sheffield from the Manchester side of Sheffield. In those days it was common practice for visiting fans to park up at a pub in that area and then make a mad dash into town for the kick off. On that particular day I heard of many not leaving the pub till gone 14.30, not a hope in hell of getting there on time.

Following the disaster many of the landlords in the area were visited by Liverpool fans and intimidated with most moving away for fear of getting caught up in the enquiry. The police were not entirely blameless but with only half the story coming out at the enquiry they were hung out to dry.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 8:35 AM, webfact said:

We were penned in behind fences due to regulations to stop hooliganism and pitch invasions. 

Webfact makes a good point regarding crushing at UK grounds.

Football and its well documented mob following by a minority is one of the problems. Just been to F1 in Singapore , 300,000 spectators over the 3 days and as far as I know there wasn’t any rivalry associated violence.

I’ve been to a good number of grounds in the 60’s and the violence was evident then.

On 11/5/2022 at 3:27 PM, DezLez said:

The problem, as proven in the SK stampede, and as reported and I believe, admitted by the SK authorities, was the lack of police planning and control!

Somewhere it was noted that the famous ancient forum in Rome had _many_ exits and could allow for the entire (many thousands of), number of patrons to exit within minutes.  Building such a venue would no doubt be prohibitively expensive in the capitalistic setting, notwithstanding the generous funding and tax abatements provided by an overly fond municipality that is usually forthcoming..  it would or at least might save lives however.

16 hours ago, LarryB said:

Thanks for another fun and informative column. As usual, I agree with some of your opinions, and disagree with others. But isn't that just one of the many things that keep life interesting? Keep up the good work. 

I second that emotion.

10 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Go Blue!

They need a management shakeup. I was told by a friend that they were dictating lineups and substitutions to Roberts, and that answers the bizarre decisions made in the sad, pathetic, and catastrophic end of this season. Perhaps the most corporate of all baseball franchises right now. 

Edited by spidermike007

7 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

Somewhere it was noted that the famous ancient forum in Rome had _many_ exits and could allow for the entire (many thousands of), number of patrons to exit within minutes.

It is called a vomitorium which is a passage situated below or behind a tier of seats in an amphitheatre or a stadium, through which big crowds can exit rapidly at the end of an event

"Best forum comment of the week came from JeffersLos who quipped: “They’ll be dressing up as Prince Andrew soon”. ... Yes Nice One Rooster ! Mateee. 

… And Yes, the Photo of the Sleeping Buddha in Ayutthaya is pretty good (Actually supposedly Dying I think ?) ... But about the most reflective Tourist attraction in the Place … I think. ... Though do not leave the 6 Families of Muslims, from the Middle East's Mosque, not far from there, to the North of Town, … like Proving very well that different Religions, CAN get on ? … If there is Cooperation, !!! … and enough good Reason to. I guess.

… Like the only group left here, from the 12th C ... and it any one says the two groups, The Muslims and the Buddhists like each other, well just tell them that they are full of <Deleted> … as they do not, and in fact they actually dislike each other ! ?  … My Step Grandson married one and though it did not last long, they got his Jeans, right ? which well, is one of the ways that they have survived here, ..  since the 12th C I guess, without becoming Too in bread ??? … Like Cross marrying their daughters, with suitable biggest and strong Thai men right ??? (I think ?) … And they all Know that they Have to get on !!! …. The Muslims AND the Buddhists ….for every ones Benefit !!! … and they do….. (One of the few Mosques where I have ever been Invited in to have a talk with the Imam I guess ? and the old men ? … Like I asked them if I could take a Photo of Friday Prayers !!! and well !!! “Make a Video” they gladly offered !!! Like people, living in some one else’s country !!! Who KNOW that they have to get on !!! Though well, ALSO keep their own Culture alive also.

… Any way I fell in love with my Wife in about 1983 or 4 ? Back over in the Ayutthaya ruins, ... when there, with her and her Family, and well it was cemented in Place by the Sleeping Buddha, like old and run down back then, but in amongst the Tough Ayutthaya thorn trees !!! (Like Elephant Proof  Trees ? Right ??? from back when wild ones lived around here and well Tigers and fresh water crocodiles also ) … And the Sleeping Buddha, really, greatly reflected the town I think ! ?  … Though well .... Now 67 and well starting to Fail !!! … “The dying Buddha” ?  … well it IS a b9it of a frightening thing to be coming to also right. ???

… Yes R, I like yes, Trumph, (I must say I guess so I do not get Pulled right ? )... as you put him in his Nice new Cloths !!! Right ??? … Nice one Mate !!! 

And Yes I liked Home Brewing along with Making Good Bread once, but well I got the Resepy wrong for the Bread, …. And baked Flat Loaves for some time, though they were pretty good to Eat !!! (Big C now does some pretty good Home balked style Breads you Know) …. But well, my Beer was always Corrupted ... So well I went back to being the Technician, … who always purchased such stuff. (And yes Sunday Arvo, nearly time do get some again now !!! …)

… And Yes Mr. Psi, Great and well reported R ... but well you could be Holding a Straw !!! Right ! ??? …. Like have you seen the footage of them taking just <Deleted> loads of them out of the Sea !!! and I STILL <Deleted> Use them !!! ... Well better leave out the Deleted and just stop using them Steptoe !!! ??? Right ???

…. Thanks R for another god and new View also ...

…. Yes "Round Ball" as we often used to call it as Kids in Australia !!! .... I have never been in to it, BUT it IS quite Obviously a good Game !!! … Like I am waiting for Australia to get in to a World Cup final ??? Though not Holding my Breath, and well Our Woman will probably make it first anyway ??? … If they have not done it already I think ??? ... The Matilders Right ... And their mascot Sam Kerr is it ? … Part Indigenous ? I think ???  … Now playing over there in your League right ???

… Do you remember her Missing that Penalty when she quite obviously had a very bad case of the nerves !!! ??? …  I do and Goodness, it was just so sad !!! … For a very Great player like her !!! I thought !!! And I think that we were put out of the Finals then also … Like about as close as we even had got !!!

Yes have a good week Mate, and All.