Immigration latest: Korean conman, Indian on overstay, 56 Chinese, illegal migrants, Austrian benefits' cheat

webfact

8 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

The problem is if they did that, may genuine tourists wouldn't go to Thailand, getting a visa is sometimes a pain in the neck, getting a criminal record check would put a lot of folks off, even if they weren't criminals.

Yes and money and time as well

13 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

A price they pay for giving visas-on-arrival to anyone. If people had to apply for a visa before travelling, and that included a criminal record check, a very large number of people would be barred from visiting Thailand.

Ah, yes but it's all about the money..

8 minutes ago, oldestswinger said:

Pure xenophobia.

In a woke country like Germany one would be stoned for such presentation.

Crime rate by migrants way over the average but mostly suppressed to report.

Only "men", "groups of men" and "persons" commit crimes.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

A price they pay for giving visas-on-arrival to anyone. If people had to apply for a visa before travelling, and that included a criminal record check, a very large number of people would be barred from visiting Thailand.

Not true nothing to do with visa on arrival they are good 99% are not crims , crims on the run are on false passports. The other conman are everywhere in every country , as for Chinese ccp organised gambling crime they to operate throughout Asia with the help of CCP. 

15 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Tell me a European country that would carry out such ridiculous and extreme measures as you are proposing just to go on holiday!

There would be an exodus, all the way back to countries that didn't enforce such nonsense.

Where do criminal record checks start and finish by the way? When are they considered minor? When are they considered ;' spent ' convictions?

When you have convicted drug traffickers who served time in Australian prisons, (a country with a strong rule of law and order and a good respectable court system) in the present day Thai government, how is that going to work?

Many of the Thais wouldn't be able to leave Thailand if such proposals were put in place by other countries as a reciprocal agreement to such a proposal.

I thought every visitor to Australia had to obtain a visa first? 

20 hours ago, sambum said:

A friend of mine was denied entry to the USA for the very same minor drugs charge. (Possession of marijuana) He put "None" on some paperwork, and was dragged off to Immigration at the airport and grilled for a "very serious crime"!!! And put on the next plane  home to Blighty!

He lied and they caught proving he was unreliable

20 hours ago, Exilerunner said:

We Foreigners bring disease and crime - That is the message. We don't see a report on Thai criminals, do we?

I am pretty sure there are reports, maybe in local TV etc, but they dont want to advertise it, they only want to advertise how bad the dirty foreigners are?????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

My goodness, imagine if the police in UK, France, Germany or other western countries listed crimes committed by foreigners ! 

If such checks had have been run on EU nationals coming to the UK we wouldn't have had quite so many as the 5 million or so living here that we do.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

I hope he's not insinuating that all crimes committed in thailand are committed by foreigners!

No. I think what he’s saying it that as the “Immigration Chief”, he’s is only concerned about crimes committed by non citizens.

See how that works? 

19 hours ago, Reigntax said:

You must work for a government department, or did? 

Yes, why not just get criminal records tattooed on everyone’s wrists and save the paperwork?

Sometimes an IQ test may prove more worthwhile than any other test.

An extreme case, but some years ago in the UK a Lithuanian man was convicted of rape and murder in the UK, it turned out that he had been convicted or was wanted for the same thing in Lithuania. There was nothing that the UK gvt could have done to stop him travelling to the UK, I think he was living here. The benefits of freedom of movement (visa-free) in the EU?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Like, drunk in charge of a lawn mower?

Could fall foul of immigration rules, cutting your own lawn when you could/should be employing a Thai person to do it. I had that converation with an American friend who used to prune his own fruit trees in Phuket.

Also, he was 'working' without a work permit anyway.????

Edited by Andrew65

17 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Tell me a European country that would carry out such ridiculous and extreme measures as you are proposing just to go on holiday!

There would be an exodus, all the way back to countries that didn't enforce such nonsense.

Where do criminal record checks start and finish by the way? When are they considered minor? When are they considered ;' spent ' convictions?

When you have convicted drug traffickers who served time in Australian prisons, (a country with a strong rule of law and order and a good respectable court system) in the present day Thai government, how is that going to work?

Many of the Thais wouldn't be able to leave Thailand if such proposals were put in place by other countries as a reciprocal agreement to such a proposal.

I believe that in the UK if someone has received a custodial sentence of 4 years or more, that conviction will never be 'spent', it will always appear on a CRC.

I think Thais have to apply for a visa to the UK before travelling anyway, so that's not really reciprocal. It is of course possible to pay 'an agent' about 20,000 Baht who will acquire a visa for your teelak that wouldn't otherwise have been granted. (I have a few falang friends who did that).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I wasn't proposing anything.

Russia's a European country, and I believe we've always need a visa to go there, even for a holiday.

I wouldn't fancy going there as a UK or USA citizen at the moment, with or without a visa.????

38 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

If such checks had have been run on EU nationals coming to the UK we wouldn't have had quite so many as the 5 million or so living here that we do.

Yeah, and also remember the ' boat people ' and all those entering by criminal gangs and other means don't go through immigration or passport control

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I believe that in the UK if someone has received a custodial sentence of 4 years or more, that conviction will never be 'spent', it will always appear on a CRC.

I think Thais have to apply for a visa to the UK before travelling anyway, so that's not really reciprocal. It is of course possible to pay 'an agent' about 20,000 Baht who will acquire a visa for your teelak that wouldn't otherwise have been granted. (I have a few falang friends who did that).

I get what you are meaning but what the OP was saying would require a reciprocal agreement to each others CRC databases and I can't see the UK agreeing to anything like that especially with the corrupt environment of the Thai police.

I have known Thai guys get busted for Yaba pills, not serious players but those that use for consumption as opposed to the sellers, and after prosecution and the inevitable fines and suspended sentences, the Police offering to remove their fingerprints and details from the police database for a ' fee '

59 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

If those are working in the UK then they are paying taxes and providing a (usually) high quality service, those who are a nuisance can be refused a residents permit, the laws are in place, they just have to be applied.

It looks to me that the vast majority of serious crimes committed in Thailand such as murders, drugs, kidnappings, extortion, racketeering, romance scams, gambling dens etc and rapes are being committed by certain groups from China, Korea, Nigeria, and of course, Thailand.

I don't see "many westerners" in these groups with the exception of the 0.01% who they dramatize and repeat over and over on the TV to deflect from their own failures and inadequacies as a police force.

Westerners seem to be in the silly category as in bar brawls, road accidents whilst DUI or no insurance, skinny dipping or not following etiquette in temples and of course, overstays.

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

If those are working in the UK then they are paying taxes and providing a (usually) high quality service, those who are a nuisance can be refused a residents permit, the laws are in place, they just have to be applied.

They can't be applied due to cutbacks in manpower and services within the Customs and Immigration departments as well as Border force and the Police.

Has it occurred to you that all the criminal gangs do not apply for resident permits, they even throw their passports away and refuse to disclose their country of origin.

The UK does not have the detention facilities to house all this influx of illegals, boat people, criminal gangs so they usually go to court, get conditional bail and then abscond and disappear into the community.

If it wasn't so serious it would be a joke.

The UK taxpayer is paying in excess of 7 million pounds a day to house these people in hotels, and they are not bloody refugees, they are economic migrants.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

They can't be applied due to cutbacks in manpower and services within the Customs and Immigration departments as well as Border force and the Police.

Has it occurred to you that all the criminal gangs do not apply for resident permits, they even throw their passports away and refuse to disclose their country of origin.

The UK does not have the detention facilities to house all this influx of illegals, boat people, criminal gangs so they usually go to court, get conditional bail and then abscond and disappear into the community.

The UK taxpayer is paying in excess of 7 million pounds a day to house these people in hotels, and they are not bloody refugees, they are economic migrants.

The one thing that would have a big effect is to get rid of the ECHR, which is ultimately used to ensure these people are never deported.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

You can't blame refugees (or economic migrants) for trying to get a better life (although if that is their goal the UK is the wrong place) The fault lies in the system.