Emergency Room admissions for cannabis up 566% as parties call for it to again be criminalised

webfact

41 minutes ago, Spock said:

At 700 - 800 baht a gram, I would be buying very little online or in store. I buy similar dispensary quality illegally in Australia where I pay about 345 baht a gram. Don't know how anyone can justify and many afford the prices charged in Thailand for top shelf stuff.

I just bought 100 grams for about 450 THB.

What the h*** are you people who are buying at 500, 700, 1000+ TBH a gram expecting?
I want a basic buzz.  Not a psychotic experience.  4.5 THB / gram cannabis is just dandy imho.  Nice low key buzz that is good for inducing sleep.  My pre-cannabis insomnia was 2 to 5 hours of tossing and turning.  Now?  A couple of tokes, turn on some music, and I'm sleeping within 30 minute.  And I wake up feeling refreshed.

• Like 2

Even if the claim were true, I would add that just because you visit an emergency room doesn't mean anything is wrong with you. If there is a huge jump in ER visits how many actually had serious problems due to cannabis? Perhaps they just didn't have a chance to go to the seminar How to Smoke and Enjoy Cannabis and just needed to have some questions answered like why can't I remember my girlfreind's name temporarily or what have you. There's some trade offs the ganja shop or your dealer are not really responsible for telling you about.

Its ironic too that the dosed up sweets and cakes seem to be more acceptable way to market and sell ganja in Thailand. The effects of such are much more likely to overhwelm cause panic attacks than bad boys and girls smoking the smelly stuff. Its perhaps a case of appearances mean everything returning and  biting some people in the ass, thinking they can just have a nip by eating a cute bunny rabbit ganja muffin with their latte and go back to the cubicle as before, make up, wig, fake eye wear and a smart appearance fully unruffled by it all. Also, there are types of ganja that have a much more predominantly dysphoric effect, I saw an Afghani landrace strain recently advertised as "Effects: A sense of dread and  impending doom." Oh, cool, I'll take a few of those and go back to the office, then please. The problem as often is the case in Thailand most people are not intersted in informing themselves, thats just a  bit too anal for anyones style, no one wants to talk to granpa dinosaur who smokes th stuff growin in the backyard about it, so they end up in hospital not understanding whats going on. And I suppose you can't just haul off and work it out freaking out at a rave either, doin the kundalini hippy dippy kung <deleted> twirly what would your co-workers say of they saw you doing that how disgusting? So you end up in the emergency room maybe asking the doctor if you're going o die and if the doctor is anti-ganja maybe he'll say, "It certainly seems so, ye.s."  It was kind of the same in the US back in the 70's, nobody was talking that much about different kinds of m.j. having some pretty psychedelic effects, we thought "Hey maybe that was a sherman (pcp/embalming fluid dipped cigarette/joint) that I was smokin on with those guys." It was kind of a running joke when i was a kid to try and exorcise that kind of paranoia the society felt you deserved for smoking probably. So we'd joke , "Hey man you wanna smoke some sherm?" or "You must be smokin that sherm! Gimme yo sherm mutherfonker! Or I'm a funk you up with mine!" As a joking way to refer to good pot or not very good pot that was better than usual when it cam around all to infrequently. There was some weird stuff sometimes in a good way sometimes not. I remember the first time I had hash oil, the whacky skater guy turned us on the front lawn of the school during lunch and i hit that thing and fully astral projected unable to get up and walk back to class when the buzzer rang and just sat there onhe grass  looking at myself from the perspective of floating 20 feet above or so and people standing around me laughing and saying, "Come on we have to get to class!...Dude, what are you doing! Snap out of it!" To me its part of the richness of what ganja can bring though I suppose to most it is all some kind of horror, and yeah, I really have never felt making ganja was a good fit for Thailand or at least not initially, it is a bit of a disconnected and very weird leap, but it is relatively harmless stuff compared to most stuff that is sold and marketed to us.

• Like 1

...What Industries Are Behind This Unrelenting Smear Campaign ...(?)

...Not To Say That They Shouldn't Be Regulating Its Potency...

...And Educating New Users...(?)

...Curious...

...Have 'Alcohol-Related Fatalities Involving Vehicles' Gone Down At All...(?)

...Are Farmers Now Making A Living Where They Once Weren't...(?)

...Aren't The Alcoholic Beverage Giants Still Making 'A Fair Share' ...(?)

...Isn't 'Pot' Considered...'Innocuous'...

...Compared To A Certain 'Crazy' Alternative ...(?)

...Especially In Light Of Certain Shocking Recent Events/Crimes/Headlines...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

4bht/gm doesn't seem expensive to me.

My kids get 50bht per school day, they can easily afford cannabis.

As for hospital admissions, I'd be more interested in the actual numbers of people admitted with serious problems, doubt there's be 10.

That was my thought.  Number of admissions went up from 2 to 10.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Ok boomer. Maybe you should have picked better friends when younger. All my friends and many others as well know that many people smoke weed regularly and are full time very capable workers in various professional industries. Weed does not lead to serious permanent mental issues.  Period!! 

A good friend smoked his way through a PHD in analytical chemistry, one of the most intellectualy rigorous disciplines on the planet.

(Too much work! I went for philosophy.????)

Personaly I managed to score 145 on the Wechsler Inventory (IQ test) at the height of my "experimental" period. I must have been over 200 without it, according to the "Reefer Madness" acolytes.????

• Haha 2

What a load of .........

Before June it was ILLEGAL hence very few medical cases 1) appeared and 2) got reported. So compare apples with apples and as there were no apples before June the entire statement of 566% is absolute rubbish. 

Below 20, well many things are forbidden for teenagers (smoking, alcohol, visiting short time establishments and houses of ill repute spring to mind), yet it happens on a daily basis. That would be law enforcement and is also not a relevant figure.

Yet just another useless media contribution to bias the reader. I - for one - welcome the legalization as it takes the criminal element out of it. I never tried (nor will try) the stuff but it certainly brought the crime rate down ............. 

• Like 2

Well purely as an exercise I got my good lady to go buy a BiG DooBie 150Baht, in a jiffy bag stuck it in her hand bag on night out, few beers then Sparked it up - av not smoked a joint in over 40 yrs... Thought Mmm this aint that bad... I had about 50% the Mrs had 25% & my daft mate had the other 25% put the dimp out thought narr its not all that... couple more slurps of San Miguel Lgt then you know that red Light on the Bonnet (Hood) of Knight Rider's car - well, all of a sudden this feeling ran inside me from Head to Toe and on its way back up I thought - Hang On a Minute... that Joints kicking in! 555

I then took on the attributes of Spiderman's Spidy Senses  Wow its was good stuff, I looked at Mrs said you ok? she laughed & said yes - I said well thats good as Im Way up there!!! I said its all right laughing but in a few minutes your gonna get this... I looked round to my mate he was collapsed on the table pi $$ ing his sides.., his Mrs was livid, she didnt want him to have any as she said he daft enough without it... 

So Samo was Right - Just Say No!! Puerly Medicinal of course... Next time will only have half of a BiG Un between us ????

Edited by Lokie
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2022 at 8:07 PM, webfact said:

566% this year so far.

How did tey vcome by this figure so what does this figure mean - assuming it is is accurate

If 1 person went before and now it's between 5 and 6?

or

If 9 people went in that would mean bout 5 people.

Maybe t went up because people felt SAFER reporting in sick or admitting to having taken the drug?

On 11/7/2022 at 7:12 AM, smedly said:

alcohol - a few beers is one thing - drugs that make serious permanent brain chemistry changes is something else, and all you weed lovers can deny all you like ............ I even had a few myself when younger and it was great, I know a few people who have been kept it up for decades and they are serious basket cases - they don't see it but everyone else does - weed when abused results in serious permanent mental issues 

so does alcohol, abuse it and you will get health and mental health issues, what is your point?

9 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

so does alcohol, abuse it and you will get health and mental health issues, what is your point?

are you capable of rational thought, you will not know that - someone else that is capable will have to tell you, how many people have tald you - you're blowing it out ### - might be time to consider some things, but since you have given no indication of your usage levels it is mute - perlonged usage of weed has been shown to have permanent long lasting effects on the brain, you will never notice 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

are you capable of rational thought, you will not know that - someone else that is capable will have to tell you, how many people have tald you - you're blowing it out ### - might be time to consider some things, but since you have given no indication of your usage levels it is mute - perlonged usage of weed has been shown to have permanent long lasting effects on the brain, you will never notice 

Well, the first part is just performative nonsense - as for the second part, again, prolonged use of weed is just the same as alcohol - like all things they can be abused. Banning them won't stop people abusing them. What is needed is education, and health policies to help those with addictive tendencies - that goes for both substances. 

So, again, what is your point? You think it should be banned?

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 10:27 AM, zzzzz said:

its like when people used to take lsd<
People not used to eatables eat a brownie an when nothing happens in 10 minutes or so, (usually take 30to kick in) eat another

and they get HIGH!!!  and with that brings paranoia if ur not used to the high>
all you need is to be with someone that understands and keeps ya calm plus feeding you food to push the thc thru your system an out>
within a hour ur fine

been smoking pot since the mid 60's and have NEVER heard of anyone dying of an overdose

My daughter in norther Ca pays between $60-80/oz for 24-30+ THC pot

angelas pot.jpeg

Ah, the days when you'd whistle up a teen with a shoe box under their arm on the street in Tuscon and buy a baggie for $5 that'd choke a horse. Mexican commercial, but it did the job!