British man sentenced for rape in UK flees to Thailand

webfact

14 minutes ago, sambum said:

Most of us will have all heard the "boy cries wolf" scenarios as regards women crying rape, (World Heavyweight Boxing Champ Mike Tyson and Miss World contestant?) but from your tone, you are implying that she made it all up, (with no evidence!) which from the information we have been given seems highly unlikely.

I had a quick look, almost no information about the case.

6 hours ago, lujanit said:

How can a man charged with rape not have his Passport taken off him and not placed on a no fly list?  This is a almighty screw up by the UK justice system.

That’s too simple, the British police like to do it the hard way,

perhaps confiscating his passport is against his Human Rights,

give him a break that’s the first rape his done this year!

6 hours ago, lujanit said:

How can a man charged with rape not have his Passport taken off him and not placed on a no fly list?  This is a almighty screw up by the UK justice system.

If he were charged and released on bail, how many hours does it take to jump on a plane after being charged? I don't know anything about the UK courts, in the US he would have likely been held without bail given the severity of the crime.  But like you say there are many holes in the process, it was likely that the passport would have been taken or cancelled at his arraignment hearing which he skipped out on. In the US it's common for criminals to be caught at the airport before they almost got away, and just as common for them to successfully escape. There are a lot of scenarios. I'm just speculating. It stinks, but sometimes due process is there to preserve the rights of individuals who have not been tried or convicted and it is the process that opens up the loopholes.  On the other hand, I see his photo all over the internet, and criminals are usually not as smart as they think they are, so eventually he will likely screw up and be caught. Where could he go from Thailand? His passport was likely cancelled immediately, so he PROBABLY is still here hiding, and will be caught eventually. How is he going to support himself? It's not like he has the money of the Red Bull heir, or the clout of a law enforcement officer. He may be caught doing SOMETHING illegal, and that will be it. I read elsewhere that he is still here, which makes sense if his passport was cancelled and he doesn't dare expose himself to Thai immigration. We can only pray he doesn't commit another violent act in the meantime. Cheers.

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Thumbs Up 1

I reckon, if he is in SE Asia he'll be pretty safe. The British police can't find 300+ groomers, rapists and traffickers on their own doorstep. Oh, but wait, they might make more of an effort based on his ethnicity/religion.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

They'll get him when his money runs out and he's begging at the airport. UK can shut off his bank fund and cancel his cards. YOu can evade UK police, hide in Thailand, but unless you are connected , surviving with no money is a no goer 

Can and would the UK authorities do that ?

Block his UK bank accounts ?

17 hours ago, riverhigh said:

"She said the rape had set in motion a chain of events that would alter the course of her life taking her to the very depths of despair. She lost her friends, job, and self-esteem and gained nothing but the wish to end her life. She said it was little short of a miracle, that she was still alive."

This means absolutely nothing to me. This does not answer whether she was raped or not. This could be statement from delusional indivisual living in a fantasy world. Where are the facts and evidence - medical records, relationship beween man and woman, character assessments, time and place where the rape took place.

I do expect that the Court heard more evidence than the above paragraph .

To find all the details , you would have to either be in Court at the time or locate the Court records yourself and find the evidence there .

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

No. I mean check flight computer records then Thai Immigration which is a phone call. Also bank records.

UK police ring Thai Police. They do have phones in Thailand.

All they need is a court order to check everything which is easy after a conviction of rape.

They contact banks check atm withdrawals overseas.

Don't forget Facebook posts 

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

Very few people, get to be a fugitive for life, so it's just a waiting game.

But no laws in the uk should be changed to give the authorities anymore powers, over our citizens.

Be very careful what you wish for.

Ronald Biggs did well. Legend.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, just wow.  Don't you think all the facts and evidence and testimony was possibly gone through during the trial before he was convicted?  Or do you expect every single news report on his whereabouts to reprint the entire transcript of the trial just for you?

What a nasty little post.

Some people read a newspaper article and think that's all the evidence available .

They don't seem to realise that 99 % of the Court cases details are not in the report 

• Like 1